• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lifespan

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
Now, of course nothing is set in stone, but I imagine having all 6 of the below would suggest that whatever lifestyle changes I might make, it might just be flogging a dead horse:

• Depression can shorten both men and women's lifespan by 10 years or more.
  • Even mild cases of anxiety or depression might take years off a person's life, new research suggests.
  • People with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have a lower life expectancy and are more than twice as likely to die prematurely as those without the disorder, according to new research
  • Researchers found that people with autism died 16 years earlier
  • Life expectancy for smokers is at least 10 years shorter than for non-smokers.
  • Loneliness has been estimated to shorten a person's life by 15 years

I don't really find it scary though. If anything, it's kind of amusing at this point.

Ed

I'm not really worried at this point with regards to supposed shorter lifespan etc.

Constant aches and pains and mental health issues spanning decades is enough to take a lot of enjoyment from life. I imagine a shorter lifespan is like a mercy killing.

Living each day to the fullest sounds wonderful in theory. But most days feel hollow in reality.

Ed

I enjoy being out in nature. That energises me. But that is a minority of my day.

Working jobs you hate for 16+ years and getting nowhere with what you're talented at is becoming an increasingly heavier burden. I know most people aren't in their dream jobs. I'm just not sure if it's unreasonable to realise you're better than where you're at.

I think we always wish for more in life - which is often what makes us sad. Because we're constantly thinking we've been short-changed.

But just how far should you "manage your expectations" in order to feel fulfilled in life

Ed

Now, of course nothing is set in stone, but I imagine having all 6 of the below would suggest that whatever lifestyle changes I might make, it might just be flogging a dead horse:

• Even mild cases of anxiety or depression might take years off a person's life, new research suggests.
  • People with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have a lower life expectancy and are more than twice as likely to die prematurely as those without the disorder, according to new research
  • Life expectancy for smokers is at least 10 years shorter than for non-smokers.

I don't really find it scary though. If anything, it's kind of amusing at this point.

Ed

Are all of these factors cumulative? I should already be dead as well then. I do think I have a different perspective on life than most people do in that I try very hard to either enjoy each day as if it's my last or at the least, have an awareness each day that it could be my last.

Regarding lifestyle changes:

Certain lifestyle changes definitely make a difference such as smoking, for example. I recall an interesting chart that shows a timeline of when and how a person's body improves after quitting smoking.

But...then there are genetics. It's crazy how predictable they can be in relation to a person's health and longevity. I knew an elderly gentlemen personally whose dad died at 82 from a heart attack. He had an older brother who died at 82 of a heart attack. AND he had an older sister who died at 82 from a heart attack. At the age of 82, this man had a heart attack but he was able to have emergency open heart surgery and survived it. He went on to live another ten years before he died. Had he not had heart surgery, that would have been four people in the same family dead at age 82.

Too many variables to consider when it comes to an individual's life span,...
genetics, lifestyle, chronic stress, to name a few.

The autism statistics,...unfortunately,...are highly impacted by our young committing suicide. If you are a "survivor", you can't look at it like you are going to have 16 less years of adulthood, per se.

However, if you are chronically stressed,...a wide range of health effects can present themselves,...usually in the form of diminished immunity, weight gain, cardiovascular disease and cancers.

Throw in smoking, drinking, drug abuse, eating poorly, lack of exercise,...it only compounds the above effects.

Throw in smoking, drinking, drug abuse, eating poorly, lack of exercise,...it only compounds the above effects.

I threw all of the above in, and then some.

I also pondered that term more "live each day to the fullest". I think if I started doing that tomorrow, by that evening I'd be in a jail cell.

Ed

I threw all of the above in, and then some.

I also pondered that term more "live each day to the fullest". I think if I started doing that tomorrow, by that evening I'd be in a jail cell.

Ed
:D I would agree. Obviously, when one says this, it is with more context, perspective, and nuance. What that phrase means to any individual, is of course, very personal. For me, it means escaping from work, building my dream house, traveling the world, gardening, eating great food, making love to my wife,...etc,...basically immersing myself in what makes me truly happy and intellectually stimulated.

Ed

Its actually a known fact that us with NP diagnosis leave earlier then those not . AHD - 12 years earlier & ASD 15 years earlier But to me im ready when its my time i just hope its quick and painless to be honest (This said in my family us wimen grow OLD (sadly we also get Alzimers )

And obviously the age span is NOT written on stone either just because we have this or that diagnosis.

We are born to our fate and then ride the destiny we create into the sunset. The sunset may hold oblivion, reincarnation, or an afterlife in any dimension of the multiverse. Right now I am toying with the illusion of time. Maybe we are stuck in the instant of the Big Bang and all time is happening simultaneously at this instant.

The first Universal Law is sometimes expressed as the Law of Divine Oneness but is trending toward being renomered as the Law of Mentalism. Perhaps God's rep for omniscience is because all 8 billion of us make 8B unique choices. That's a lot of data! But I am not going to worry my pretty little head over unsolvable questions.

Another guiding principle (for me, anyway) is that Jesus urged us to seek joy 26 times in 4 short books (the Gospels). I believe we all have a duty to be our own best friends.

The only thing I have influence over is this very moment. The illusion of the past is experienced as depression; the future as anxiety.

Now is our power or the abdication of that power.

We are born to our fate and then ride the destiny we create into the sunset. The sunset may hold oblivion, reincarnation, or an afterlife in any dimension of the multiverse. Right now I am toying with the illusion of time. Maybe we are stuck in the instant of the Big Bang and all time is happening simultaneously at this instant.

The first Universal Law is sometimes expressed as the Law of Divine Oneness but is trending toward being renomered as the Law of Mentalism. Perhaps God's rep for omniscience is because all 8 billion of us make 8B unique choices. That's a lot of data! But I am not going to worry my pretty little head over unsolvable questions.

Another guiding principle (for me, anyway) is that Jesus urged us to seek joy 26 times in 4 short books (the Gospels). I believe we all have a duty to be our own best friends.

The only thing I have influence over is this very moment. The illusion of the past is experienced as depression; the future as anxiety.

Now is our power or the abdication of that power.

For a moment there I thought I was on a psilocybin-induced, psychedelic "spirit walk",...then I read it again,...Yup! You're right on.:D;) Totally agree.

I don't worry about longevity. I concentrate on quality of life. I only do the things that support my quality of life now and down the road. I don't do anything solely to prolong my life. I have seen far too many old people just begging to die and they live on and on with no end in sight. I find no value in living longer if one has no quality of life.

You can counter the negative influences with positive ones.

For example people with a pet dog live 2 years longer on average. So all you need is 38 dogs.

But other pets can also have an effect

Cat: + 1.75 years
Bird: + 1.5 years
Hamster: + 38 minutes
Tiger: - 42 years

;)

Crikey that is a lot of hamsters to counteract my autism, depression, smoking, solitary existance, etc. Probably somewhere in the region of 15000...surely having that many hamsters would affect my lifespan in a negative way too, particularly as I live in caravan.

Not sure how the cat/bird combo would work, always had a instinct to stay away from tigers...now I understand why.

For a moment there I thought I was on a psilocybin-induced, psychedelic "spirit walk",...then I read it again,...Yup! You're right on.:D;) Totally agree.

I am interested in doing a psilocybin-induced, psychedelic "spirit walk" or ayawaska. I don't believe it would improve my divine relationships, but it might smash through some of the unconscious stinking thinking stuff getting in my way.

It depends - it can lead to really bad paranoia. Although, I have had some magical moments too.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom