1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Life With a Partner or Spouse With Asperger Syndrome: Going Over the Edge? 2020-11-23

Practical Steps to Saving You and Your Relationship

1. VictorR

VictorR Random Member V.I.P Member

VictorR submitted a new resource:

Life With a Partner or Spouse With Asperger Syndrome: Going Over the Edge? - Practical Steps to Saving You and Your Relationship

Read more about this resource...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

My key was finding one who didn't mind if I rode around town naked on a bicycle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Pistachio

Pistachio Well-Known Member

No spouse but the first chapter was interesting. Requested the Marshack book at my library, and a few others. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ursus Chainus

Ursus Chainus Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

That is an excellent standard! Mine wouldn't mind... she would just tell me in her VN accent "You stupid!"

• Like Like x 1
  5. jared mills

jared mills Rookie

mine is finding one who would love me just as i am & not minding my kinks:wild animals (despite them being dangerous) & giant stuffed animals (used as sex toys when she's unavailable,on a girls trip with her friends).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  6. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

Mine held my clothes once. Another time she rode with me - she stayed clothed.

7. Pistachio

Pistachio Well-Known Member

I just finished this book. I was surprised that a supposedly autism centric therapist was so anti-autism, she seemed to be always on the NT person's side.

It read more like: here are the two extremes of NT/autistic relationships (fine) but always expecting the autistic person to make adjustments, even when they don't know anything about an NT way of being. After this book, I would never go to a therapist again.

It also came across as some examples anyway, didnt seem autistic/NT, but just dysfunctional, crappy marriages, crappy parenting skills too.

Although, one concept from the book i had no clue about: they mentioned looking at someone's eyes and seeing a mirror, something along the lines of mind reading. Is this what NT people experience? I don't mean a person reading face/body language, mirroring their body language, but an actual mirror in their eyes. And if it's more of an abstract concept/feeling, what are they talking about? I think I pick up on a "vibe in the room" when talking to people but a mirror, no.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝️ V.I.P Member

There are autism-competent therapists out there. You just need to know where to look.

If you are in the USA...

• Like Like x 1
  9. VictorR

VictorR Random Member V.I.P Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Pistachio!

It's always nice in a healthy discussion to see a counterpoint.

Given that the target market is admittedly towards spouses of aspies, and specifically, those with difficulties, do you think that perhaps some of the examples might have been chosen for effect?

• Like Like x 1