• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Life Skill 101

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Procrastination......
You need to make a call to discuss sensitive matter- call and leave msg when you know they won't pick up.
Need to go to a meeting, tell them you will come to the next meeting but skip tonite , so sorry.
How many forum members practice this life skill and now have fine- tuned it to precision sharp? My first thought in matters, is determine the level of importance which then it flips into how long can l delay this event/issue/person/ problem etc.? What is your go-to life skill?

Last edited:
Yup, I'm familiar with procrastination in a number of ways. Unfortunately I also apply it to things which really need to get done like testing my aquarium water and other equally easy and not unpleasant things to do.
Sometimes I just get plain lazy and justify this by saying well, you're 74 and entitled to being lazy. SAD!
But yeah, sending a message when you know someone isn't there to respond is classic. :D

Yes I don't give out my number and I don't answer my phone unless a call is scheduled. I defer things frequently. Easier now I don't work. I don't usually go to unstructured social events. I am never bored, I go for walks or read or write or plan something or visit places, I am very self sufficient and enjoy simple things. I often google information about topics of interest, what a great resource the Internet is!

I get around to necessary things eventually. However, my definition of necessary is highly selective and individual. Ask me if I m bothered?

I don't generally use procrastination because that can often lead to fines, late fees, lost opportunities, and the like. However, I do "triage" a demand and schedule low-difficulty jobs like paying bills or answering phone messages into a batch. I will delay a task until I am feeling more alert.

But my Number One life skill is: delegate!

My husband uses the VA medical center, and has dementia. They have a neat program where they provide support services for caregivers of vets with serious medical issues. A social worker calls me once a month just to check in and see how things are going. I appreciate these calls. She asked if it was better for her to just call whenever, or if I would prefer to call her when I'm free. I thought about it for 30 nanoseconds and said, best if you call me. I just don't need any more things to remember to do! (Dementia caregivers will understand what I mean.)

Not all tasks can be delegated, but a great many of them can.

My go-to skill is getting completely lost while driving, and then solving this by turning down random roads, getting MORE lost and then somehow ending up at my destination anyway.

No, I dont know how it works. Just smile and nod as if it makes sense.

Procrastination......
You need to make a call to discuss sensitive matter- call and leave msg when you know they won't pick up.
Need to go to a meeting, tell them you will come to the next meeting but skip tonite , so sorry.
How many forum members practice this life skill and now have it to a fine- tuned and precision sharp? My first thought in matters, is determine the level of importance which then it flips into how long can l delay this event/issue/person/ problem etc.? What is your go-to life skill?

I'm sorry I thought this was funny. But the title lifeskill 101, is so fitting. Yes, I do these things to survive, I guess. The phone calls, especially - with fingers crossed that they don't return my call. Will try anything to avoid having to talk to another person. I wouldn't really call it procrastination - more avoidance. :)

Never stop to ask for directions under any circumstance.
"Maybe next time" to invitations.
Limit who has my phone number and let unknown numbers leave a message - or not.
Use texting or messaging whenever possible. And prefer when you can type in your answers and not have to say them out loud.
Fail to let someone know I have a different phone number. When they say they tried to call I'll do the, "hmm I didn't see that."

My ex texted me this morning asking if I was up yet. I waited until afternoon and texted back saying now I'm up. Had my fingers crossed he would just text back, but should have known he would call immediately. Sometimes if I wait long enough they get busy and can't answer. Don't have that luck with him.

Sometimes slow making something someone has requested so it'll take longer to have to go take it to them.

Procrastination......
How many forum members practice this life skill and now have it to a fine- tuned and precision sharp? My first thought in matters, is determine the level of importance which then it flips into how long can l delay this event/issue/person/ problem etc.? What is your go-to life skill?

I generally tackle problems head on if I am responsible. In extreme situations where people are contentious, I have resigned or removed the source of my frustration and anxiety.

Life Skills 101

Ignoring people who annoy me in public.

Not answering emails that ask too many questions.

My car won't start, it's too cold. I won't be coming.

There's too much snow, I'll have to shovel so I won't be there until later. Then I leave early.

Asking, 'Who is this?' in a loud voice, when someone calls me early in the morning.

Not answering the door when I'm not expecting anyone.

Last edited:
It's consider unsafe to open it in some places- l always shout through the door - who is it?

Reserve judgement until you're quite sure you know what the hell someone else is talking about.
(I could spend the rest of my natural lifetime never judging anyone)

The toes you tread on today,
will always be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

Be nice to or agree with the haters.
It really confuses them.

It's better to have lost in love
than never to have loved at all.
(Annie Lennox told me that, well, sung it to me, one fine day, back in the day)

New Threads

Top Bottom