• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Let’s talk about recovery time after an event.

disconnected

V.I.P Member
Today I am down and out and emotionally drained. We went to my Mothers yesterday for 5.5 agonizing hours. I’m wiped Out. She is very formal and proper and I need to be really watching cues of what’s to be expected.

We where to go over at 1:00 to meet my brother and his wife to set up her Christmas tree. When we arrived at 1:00 I noticed the formal table was set with the formal China. I quickly panicked because I knew it was going to be a very long occasion.

What’s your recovery time like?

Thank you.

5.5 hours is a long time.
It usually takes me a few days to recover from these types of events.
A few years ago one of my sisters wanted us to go see my brother in Arizona. The more I heard her talk about her past visits there the less I wanted to go. She had to stay in a room in his hangar. If she put her elbow on the glass dining room table, the sister in law was immediately wiping the arm print. etc etc. I talked her into us just going to Utah and making a 10 day trip and if they wanted to join us at some point they could. I wasn't about to put myself in that situation. I have a hard time when it's with someone NOT so formal and fussy.

An unplanned formal dinner!
Travel!
Visiting family!
It would take me about 2 to 4 days of naps and resting and eating small meals to recover.
I’ll be glad when the holidays are over.

It kind of depends. If I can just sleep and relax, then it takes a few days to get back to 100%. If I have to go to work right before and after the event, it can take a couple of weeks.

The same evening I would feel exhausted, but usually manage to sleep it off. It will be a while before I feel ready to do something similar again, though.

I don't like formal occasions either, and avoid them.

Interesting. I never considered quantifying my recovery time. Hmmm. Certainly a number of hours.

It depends on many factors.
How many people, how long it take, how loud it will be, how many people I know etc...travel time...

But this is one of the reason I coudlnt keep up at unni because at the same time wa had to have a social life that involved parties during the week end and then a week of studying but after a big event I needed at least 2 days of rest...
Now I just see my closet friend and the two main factors are what I eat and How much I sleep, I try to reduce as much as possible drinking and eating in order to not be completely tired the day after.

I feel fine by the next day but would prefer if nobody looks at me or talks to me for at least another day or two. :)

Several factors are dependent.

For example, if I’m prepared in advance I can make “safe guards” so that if it’s too much I can do something else to reset.

That usually takes a few hours, a day...or a sleep.

If I’m unprepared, have it sprung on me, if I am prepared but the demands are too much that safe guards aren’t possible then a few days.

If I have an emotional anxiety moment added to it. A week.

Two days minimum. Less if I can exercise. Used to go to family things at Christmas for a few days. It felt as if it was a week afterwards that I eventually woke up.

Depending on what, between the entire day and a weekend since I still have to go to school even if it makes my actual academic perfomance worse overall

My re-group really depends on the depth of the anxiety. I feel like I don't manage to recovery but rather manage to an operational level. I wonder how many NT's do the same thing? A buddy of mine told me the other day, "I am just worn out." he went on to say, "I have been worn out for the last two years." I know it's different but it's kind of the same. Thoughts?

Depends on how much anxiety the event caused.
Usually a good night's sleep and a day of rest without demands is enough if I didn't feel overly anxious.
If I have a whole day of feeling stressed and anxious which could lead to a panic attack or meltdown
then I need several days of a lot of sleep and alone time to recover.
A lot of stress leads to Fibromyalgia flares also with me and that calls for a lot of be kind to myself time
and rest.

I wonder how many NT's do the same thing? A buddy of mine told me the other day, "I am just worn out." he went on to say, "I have been worn out for the last two years." I know it's different but it's kind of the same. Thoughts?

It's likely that it's quite similar. Fatigue in general from social interaction might have something to do with age, physical health, whether people overeat rich holiday foods or drink more than they normally would.

Aspie perceptions of social interaction are a consideration too. An Aspie who works at a job and interacts with people on a daily basis, would probably find social interaction less stressful. Than any person who lives a quiet or isolated life.

Last edited:
Even social events that are only a few hours requires a recovery time of a few days. I've stopped going to parties and such that my extended family throws because I just can't stay for a long period of time, and a lot of times I'm going with my mom and dad, so it's not like I can just leave. They live farther than I like to drive, too, so I have to go with my parents. I hate it. Mom's taken notice because I go outside where no one else is, and she's started asking if I want to go instead of making me go.

It depends but generally I need a quiet day alone after a stressful event. I've noticed that my recovery time has gone down quite a bit since I started meditating though, I used to be wiped out for days.

I am the same. I apply to the 48hr rule because that is about how long I need to process or recover. What keeps me on edge is the constant worry of my mother bringing up the past and the things I had done or how I acted and from there she will move on to medical issues in the family. There is tension in my entire body until we have left.

New Threads

Top Bottom