1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Let's focus on the positives

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Lymle, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Lymle

Lymle The pattern princess

If only society as a whole truly viewed us as equals.

then we would've grew up with a totally different self image, & the world would have already benefited from our combined influence.

Research is finally catching up with this truth but they are still just scratching the surface.

Here is a short read on some of the positives of the spectrum...like we already didn't know!

(Just click the pic)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Great article!

I think, the best approach when helping someone with autism (or with any other developmental disorder) would not just be by focusing on the disabilities, but also by helping them to discover their unique abilities which almost always exist!
    For example, people who have ADHD can think in many different things in a very short time. I don’t have ADHD, but I believe this could make them very creative. Another example: people with bipolar disorder are very energetic when they are having manic or hypomanic episodes.

I don’t know how exactly psychiatrists, psychologists or therapists deal with such disorders, but I don’t think they do that second part, helping people to discover their unique abilities (and why not writing them down in a report so they have official documents to help them get jobs?)
    It would be the best approach, for us and even other people, because there will be less unemployed people in the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

But what if focusing on the negatives, that is accurately analyzing situations to predict everything that could go wrong was your super power? One of the names I have heard for it is Risk Assessment. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I know a couple of very talented (and very hyper) poets who have very strong ADHD, you'll know if you ever meet them... Not all artists, but I would a say good percentage of artists have various forms of mental illness, ADHD, or the milder ADD, I think it's part of what drives their creativity

Unfortunately one of those two poets I mentioned died on the front end of a train in a Toronto trainyard, writing and recording poetry in a place he should not have been, but then maybe that's where someone with ADHD might end up because they are impulsive... The other poet I know is alive and well here in Calgary, very much a beat/performance poet... I heard him say once that he is known for wandering the streets in full poetry performance, probably looking like a maniac for all around, I haven't seen him at those times...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Rasputin

Rasputin ASD / Aspie V.I.P Member

It's interesting that you commented on this. I have worked the past 13 years in Risk Management, and prior to that worked as an Internal Auditor, Security Risk Analyst, and as an Information Systems Analyst. All of these jobs rely upon risk assessment. Clearly you have identified one of my special abilities.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I didn't work in the field per se, but always ended up with the related 'Additional Duties' in my military career. Things like Unit Manager for Safety, Hazardous Material, Disaster Preparedness, etc. Usually all at once. :D It was always easy for me to think ahead and see possible outcomes and take preventive actions if necessary. I used to annoy people sometimes by making them use PPE or insist on certain precautions, but although we had some close calls, I can fortunately say we never had a serious injury in any of the units I was in.

• Like Like x 3
  7. cnn

cnn Active Member

How come this thread remained so short!!!

It is important to diversify the discourse. Problem/ Solution logic has its own train of thought, Co-Existance Culture has its own.

We are also just another minority group. Let's think in means of minority/majority and our contribution to the society, be it macro or micro level.

Before I write my ideas in other posts, Here are two articles:
    Could Autism Be the Next Stage of Human Evolution?

What Role Did Autism Play in Human Evolution?

I find evolution useful because it gives a context why autistic traits exist in the first place!!!