• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lessons from the Village Idiot: Zwi

Darkkin

V.I.P Member
IMG_20210508_201616_772.jpg

This is Zwi. He is our beloved village idiot. (Truly this dog is as stupid as they come, but he has a heart of gold. Anything that is alive is his friend.) There is not a mean bone in his body. He is as lazy and good natured as they come.

However, he does have a very strong stubborn streak in him that he can enforce simply because of his size. (We're talking nearly 90lbs of dog.) He is nearly my size and borders on close to six feet on his hind legs. That stubborn streak has been on full display for the last 24 hours.

For context, our backyard at the old house was completely fenced in, something that is preferable with greyhounds. Zwi has been on lead lines before, (never unsupervised), and has adapted well to the line set up we have at the current house. (Bigger yard, but it isn't fenced). Our main lead line broke. It needs replacing and we just haven't had time to do it.

We've been using the slightly shorter, lighter travel line as a stop gap. Well, Zwi, a.k.a Captain Stupidity wants nothing to do with it. Too bad. You have to deal. Zwi won't get off the back step. He is also not coming back in until he does his business.

I take the step out of the equation by moving the base clip of the line to the in ground pivot. Zwi can't reach the step, but he does get up on the patio and proceeds to tangle himself up on purpose. Untangle repeat. Put him on the leash and show him where the new borders of the lead line go. Still convinced he needs to be on the patio.

I moved the pivot point itself and took Zwi with. He cannot reach the patio or the back step. He has full range of motion 360°. Walk him on the leash so he knows where his edges are. Again. Clip him on the lead line and I just l left him alone.

I kept an eye on him to make sure he was okay. But once familiar temptations like the patio and step (challenged areas) were removed, stubborn mode turned off.

Zwi voluntarily strolled around the perimeter of the pivot edge and did what he needed to do. Once he finally stopped ramming his head into every wall he could think to find, he relaxed and realized he was just fine. He laid down in the grass and enjoyed the afternoon.

And for as stupid as he is, Zwi has very good functional memory. Once he decides to learn a command or boundary he knows it and obeys it to the utmost of his ability (except when he gets stuck in stubborn mode.).

Overall, Zwi is a remarkably good dog, but like people he has days when you wish him to the dark side of the moon. On those days I remind myself of all the things he could do and doesn't given his size. How little work he truly requires, how laid back and gentle he is.

Rue Dog on the other hand is too smart for his own good, needs constant enrichment, is double coated, sheddy, noisy, and has endless energy. Rue Dog is high maintenance. Zwi is as low maintenance as they come. Rue figured out the lead line set up in about 30 seconds on his own.

I needed to put in the patience with Zwi to get him out of stubborn mode. He is big, but he is also a klutz, and I didn't want him harming himself if he freaked out. Hence the active edges with the leash.

It wasn't a lot to ask given the resources and attention I put into Rue Dog and Potato Cat. Both of them like doing the agility course (and Potato Cat knows as many commands as Zwi), Zwi has no desire to even try.

Zwi is not treat or toy motivated. He is people motivated and stubborn mode is his way of demanding some attention when what seems like a simple shift feels impossible.

I worked with him and took the points of contest away so we weren't pushing each other's buttons. Him for attention, me because he does actually know better and the behaviour was solely to garner attention.

Once he realized he would not get his way and that I was working with him to find a point he could start from things clicked. But on both sides we had to compromise.

He might be stupid, but Zwi is a good teacher in things like patience because he doesn't learn things readily and can be stubborn, both traits that can be very challenging, especially when featured in concert. He's a good dog, not a perfect dog.

FB_IMG_1649625100830.jpg

Last edited:
Great post!! :)
This resonates a lot with me. Good to have other knowledgeable dog people on here!

And Zwi is beautiful.

This guy is my village idiot. All my other dogs are extremely intelligent. But everyone who meets him loves him regardless!!

09E8F17B-A17B-4E75-BDE1-7A3DF72C9A77.jpeg

(This was before the tragic haircut lol)

The dopey ones tend to have some of the sweetest personalities. The fact that Zwi is as sweet as he is is the only reason Rue tolerates him. Zwi doesn't react and Rue can be pushy, especially when it comes to me. Working, he's fine, but off duty, he is possessive.

I just got back upstairs from checking on the dogs because Rue was chripping in the laundry room. Really out of character for him, so I checked. Potato Cat had pulled the latch on Rue's crate open, and Rue was weirded out about it. He was chripping at the laundry room door, to be tucked back in. That's like the kid who raises their hand to remind the teacher they forgot to assign homework. Poor Rue Dog. I put him back in latched the door and he flopped down with a heartfelt sigh.

I have a feeling Zwi is a very cunning dog.. just look at that face and those eyes. I think he is very clever but he pretends to be stupid to mess with you and get extra leeway and perks. :)

I have a feeling Zwi is a very cunning dog.. just look at that face and those eyes. I think he is very clever but he pretends to be stupid to mess with you and get extra leeway and perks. :)

Zwi is way too indolent to be considered cunning. If something derails his comfort or routine he will get distressed because he has to actually think.

e.g. Rue had pushed his kibble bowl in front of the refrigerator. Zwi follows the counter line to get from the back door to the hallway. Zwi saw that bowl and decided he couldn't step over it walk around it. I didn't move the bowl despite Zwi whining by the back door for nearly half an hour. Zwi got disgusted and went downstairs to sulk in his crate.

Rue walked over to his bowl and promptly pushed it to where it usually lives. Under the shelf we keep the dishes on. Rue came over to me with a big doggy grin on his face because Zwi was downstairs and Rue had the upstairs to himself.

Zwi is way too indolent to be considered cunning. If something derails his comfort or routine he will get distressed because he has to actually think.

e.g. Rue had pushed his kibble bowl in front of the refrigerator. Zwi follows the counter line to get from the back door to the hallway. Zwi saw that bowl and decided he couldn't step over it walk around it. I didn't move the bowl despite Zwi whining by the back door for nearly half an hour. Zwi got disgusted and went downstairs to sulk in his crate.

Rue walked over to his bowl and promptly pushed it to where it usually lives. Under the shelf we keep the dishes on. Rue came over to me with a big doggy grin on his face because Zwi was downstairs and Rue had the upstairs to himself.

That is probably part of his genius master plan. ;)

20220925_131745.jpg

Most of you folks know about our village idiot, Zwi. Well, yesterday was a dark side of the moon kind of day because this dope decided he was going to walk back downstairs and pee in his crate rather than wait 30 seconds for me to get the door open so I could put him on the line outside.

Zwi is older and as such we have adjusted his schedule to allow for more frequent potty breaks. He is perfectly healthy according to the vet. This was just a mega boundary push moment with Zwi. I came down on him like a hammer. Not happening.

I caught up with him as soon as I saw him head back downstairs, got him hauled back upstairs and put outside. I tossed his blankets in the wash brought him inside long enough to put Rue out and put him out again as soon as Rue was done.

I fed Rue Dog and Potato Cat like normal, but I would not go anywhere near Zwi. I was truly livid with him because this was a deliberate choice on his part.

This was a breaking point moment when I was brutally honest with myself and acknowledged the fact I would not miss him if we did not have him. In point of fact, it would be a massive relief in the work he creates for me.

It is a harsh thing to say, but Zwi is a lot of work for me. I will always make sure his physical needs are met and provide what attention I can. (But I am not his IT person, like I am with Rue Dog, something Zwi and I both see eye to eye on. I'll make sure he is safe, cared for and comfortable, but I won't seek out his company.) It is a bit like that person you are uncomfortable around, you are always kind to them, but they drive you nuts.

He is a big, dumb, surprisingly messy dog prone to self injury (mostly scratches on his lower hocks when he dreams, cornstarch, paper towels, and tape work to stop the bleeding). I've lost count of the number of his disasters I've cleaned up. As irritating as they were, none of that was deliberate. This choice was. I was done.

It isn't that Zwi isn't a great dog, he is. Sweet, super gentle, and friendly. But he invades one's space when he want attention. (That is my biggest issue with him.) Rue Dog will ask to play; Zwi wants touch.

Sensorally, I cannot do more than basic ear scratches for a couple minutes. (This is why Potato Cat is such a good fit at our house, you don't have to pet him. Being near you is enough.)

Zwi is also not my dog. He belongs to my best friend, who adopted him two years after we got Rue. And Zwi's world has always revolved around my best friend. He is a good fit with her personality and they both benefit from each other.

Rue Dog is my favourite, has been since we got him. He plays, interacts, challenges, talks back, and is a loveable jerk. He is high energy, high reward. He is a high demand dog and I love meeting those demands.

Zwi is indolent to the point of exasperation. (Believe me when I say we've tried to get him to engage in play, he doesn't. He just wants to lay on his bed and be petted.) He is incredibly passive.

I've had the default of the pet chores since we got Rue and I've always had pets, so it was an assumed responsibility. That was the heart of the problem. Rue and Potato Cat are clean, pretty low maintenance care. Every time there was a pet disaster in the house, Zwi is always the source and I always just cleaned it up. Yesterday I reached my limit. I am not the default maid service of a dog that essentially tripled my workload.

I set a boundary. Not my dog, not my job. My best friend wasn't aware of how much she took my care of her dog for granted until I said, 'I'm done.' She now gets up with him in the morning, feeds him morning and night and sees to his potty break needs. And it is seriously good for both of them.

The shift in the atmosphere of the house is monumental. Not having that workload is a game changer. I didn't realise how much of a burden it had become because I had just gotten so used to the weight.

Zwi is a good dog, but he was also not my choice. Rue Dog and Potato Cat were, and thusly are in my charge. I always did right by Zwi, but it is a job I didn't chose and that simple fact actually mattered, a lot.

Sometimes the right choice is telling someone they need to step up and take responsibility. I know Zwi and I are both happier for it. Zwi is much more content and I can appreciate Zwi for the good dog he is.

Last edited:
The weekend discussion of pet chore allocation has been a long time coming. I needed it to happen; Zwi needed it to happen.

That extra little bit of time and attention he is now getting from his IT person definitely brightens Zwi's day.

He knows he will always be safe with me, but I don't pander to him, and he deserves to be indulged a bit because he truly is a very good, very likable dog.

A tough discussion and a much happier dog. And as frustrating as he can be, it is truly impossible not to like Zwi. He is a sweet natured soul.

New Threads

Top Bottom