• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Learning a new language

Aspergers_Aspie

I have studied French in High School and as an adult I realise if an aspie learns a new language, as the aspie can prefer formal language it can be difficult for an aspie to try and use informal language and or slang even in their first language, anyone else has thoughts on this?

I don't think Aspies in general have difficulty using slang or informal language. At least it seems kids on the spectrum pick it up the same way as NT kids. On the other hand language itself might be difficult (ie. Non verbal), or they may tend towards literal interpretation.

I have no problems with slang in my own language or in languages that I learned later on, provided I’m proficient enough in those languages. I’m very good at retention of language, so if I learn a slang word it tends to hang around in my mindbrain.

I have learned several languages in my life time and I don't find it hard to learn slang words at all. Slang words are a vocabulary item, a piece of information just like any other word. Actually, I'm more likely to find slang words amusing/interesting than other more 'mundane' words and remember them.

I am another who prefers to avoid slang. I do use swear words for emphasis. A bad habit I picked up years ago.
I know a few German words because my mom was Austrian.

I speak English (American) and learned Spanish while growing up as it was a class from k through 10th grade. I don’t know the slang words because they were not used in class. I know Spanish is embedded a few layers away in memory because when I hear it being spoken, sometimes I’ll pick up the gist of the conversation.

Learning another language is a desire I have, like a wanna-be-special interest.
I’d like to learn Greek, Italian & French.

Interesting question. I'm inclined to believe that learning slang itself is mostly a matter of mechanics- rote learning. However that there are more complex forms of communication that indeed can give some people on the spectrum varying degrees of difficulty. Such as idioms and sarcasm.

I use a lot of idioms and slang all the time. However sarcasm has always eluded me one way or another. Though the slang my Irish relatives use makes my head spin at times...lol. The accent comes easy to me...but all that Norn Iron slang, not so much.

As for languages like German and Spanish, I find them somewhat more direct compared to English. Though at times German's four cases can be difficult to master. At least it was for me.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom