• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Leaf picking

Hi, may be completely unrelated & unimportant but I am curious haha. Does anybody else constantly pick leaves when walking somewhere?

I constantly have to focus on a leaf in my hand when out in public. I like shiny, thick one's like 'Cherry Laurel' leaves that are common in the UK. I fold near the stem and it makes a perfectly straight line due to the fact they are strong. Then the top, then the sides, then trough the middle and pick another one lol.

I have an assessment coming up soon for ADHD and ASD. Would this be a good example of my constant need to fidget? I have done this for as long as I can remember.

ASD people are quite prone to "fidgety" and repetitive behaviours as a method of calming or focusing our minds. This leaf picking and folding could fall into that category.

If I'm outside, it might be a leaf, inside it might be something else to fidget with. Thankful for straw papers. Yes, I'd mention it.

Last edited:
I fidget with straw wrappers too sometimes!

If I'm outside my big one is my car keys. I have a switchblade key that I keep flipping back & forth in my pocket. I have other stims that are unusual but not unheard of but I'm not surprised by this. I wouldn't be surprised if I had done it in the past too before I was aware of where I am on the spectrum or even what stimming is.

I used to do it all the time, I also pick the large hollow stems of grass and snap them at 1/4 inch lengths. I was diagnosed with Aspergers at the age of 43

No. I have a thing for living things. It may be extreme, but I would not pick a leaf.

New Threads

Top Bottom