• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Laughing at 'the wrong time'

If @Tyrantus1212 has a history of laughing at inappropriate times, how about people not standing the way he laughs regardless of the way he does?
Well, some people do have a very particular laugh. I'm one of them, and it's been pointed out to me so much that I've become super self-conscious about it. Maybe he does have an obnoxious, loud laugh for real --and I'm not saying it's bad, because, again, so do I... but it might be unnerving for other people.

Surely other members here have had something like that pointed out?

OP, I still have the problem of laughing on inappropriate occasions.

I was out last week, saw a middle-aged bald guy in a yellow shirt on a bike passing by as I was walking.
I bursted into laughter two seconds and that was somehow hilarious, at least to me.
I really hope he didn't take it personally because I didn't intend to be rude by any means.

I almost wet my pants laughing often... I am extremely hysterical...to a point where someone why thought I wasnt serious, got me removed from the company's client location (relocated) ... I dont know lol... I just want to overly smile and laugh at everything...see everything no matter how bad as positive... better than being empty or something... Maybe one should just respond "I have symptoms of high functioning autsim and Asperger syndrome, which results in overly smiley/laughing behavioural symptoms, I take what you are saying seriously, but this is indeed a medically diagnosed condition, and I am covered by law"...

Sometimes I laugh when someone is in the middle of saying something. I think they are telling a joke and I get the "punchline" before everyone else. More often than not, that person is being serious and I am laughing at something I should not be. It is quite awkward.

I was amazed when I discovered what not everyone laughs at their thoughts or the imagination's product (in movies stamps it's only 'bad persons' do that - when they build their evil plans to hurt as many people as possible, unfortunately).
Also I can cry at something I think, I feel hurt and can cry as I analize the system of behaviour of some person (the hardest was discovery of my parents's actual behaviour) toward me - and realize them being systematically (not just by chance) abusing.
It's even weirder than me laughing - for people around.
I can think and analize and I can feel emotionally synchronously - that's why my inner world is so changing and captivating for me, why I prefer to spend a lot of lime alone and sort out my thoughts and emotions after time spent with other people or after receiving some information that changes my gained understanding of things.

Also I laugh at inappropriate times when I'm painfully tensed - laughing is the universal way of letting out the stress. As I tried to fit into companies I noticed that people often laugh not at the joyful things but on the stressful or shunned topics - they don't actually have fun, they let out the stress.
But I could not help myself but laugh (and I remembered funny events) on my mother's funeral. Granted - I did so along with my father (I think in fact I took after him in our family), but the churchgoers, my mother's friends, were appalled.

I was disturbed my my behaviour because I could not understand: WHY do I react this way and how can I change it?
I observed the situations and my reactions - I noticed that its my self-protection: I am really more deeply affective and sensitive than the most people - and I'm painfully overwhelmed by my thoughts and feelings on the matter, when other people manage to be innerly undisturbed.
I went into discussion with my psychologist - she insists that a person can only either feel, or think - but I panick if I can not sort in my mind the factors and get the whole picture: what's going on around me - and only after I become aware of my surroundings that my emotions become less intensive and I can sort them out.

Dad would read me a serious fiction story about a man trying to hunt down a giant worm, but all I thought about was the man and the worm becoming friends and living in a gigantic house together

I can't watch the most of movies or read the popular books because I loose my focus very quickly: I can't help my thoughts wandering and I can not follow the stated plot. I stopped suffering were I can and let myself to interrupt whatever activity I can not see the common sense or have no curiousity to go on.
I think it's that your parents read to you the books you did not felt intrested in that you don't like reading. Their fault - not yours, in my opinion.
I'm not good in accepting information through hearing (I prefer the multiple verification of incoming info: hearing, seeing, sensing) - so I was always strained whether I had to sit and listen some story the authoritive persons (my parents or kindergarten teachers) chose would be educative for the kids (with me among them).
I remember - like it was just yesterday - how my thoughts wandered about guessing of meaning the heard words I did not understand, I guessed about the plot as really strange and scary (from my own point of view), I felt boring and tensed because other children looked like they understood everything perfectly and I didn't.
I guessed I had to find out everything on my own, anyway, I was unsure of too many things and words' meanings to verbalise my questions to anyone.

hello ask your psychologist about emotional lability show your psychologist this post
it's very common even neurotypicals experience it

Oh yeah. I've done this quite often and still do. I'm sure people think I'm nuts, but I'm not too concerned now. I now try to think and control my laughter. I smile and quietly giggle when I'm with people and just tell them something funny that was said or something I did. I, especially did this when I was at work. I didn't want people to think I was a psycho. :)

Last edited:
One time I got in a lot of trouble for it. It was my brothers birthday and everyone was sitting at the table sad and my brother was crying because none of his friends showed up. There was a picture of my brothers face photo shopped on to a professional baseball players body on the table which made me bust out laughing. Everyone though I was laughing at the fact that no one showed up, and I tried to explain that I was laughing at the picture but no one believed me. I ended up getting yelled at by my dad really hard and sent to my room. Every one thought I was a jerk, and I was super embarrassed and frustrated.

I used to do this constantly when I was younger. As a teenager I'd be walking down a hallway, just think of something funny, and just burst out laughing. People looked at me funny for it, but hey, if something is funny then it's ok to laugh, even if they're not in on the joke.

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah so this laughing quirk has not 100% subsided in me, but I no longer picture the imaginary friend next to anyone. Still, remembering something funny can become easy for me because my mind is always racing and I'm bored a lot. The sound it makes does resemble a sneeze, so I just end up passing it off as a sneeze; I just end it with a fake sniffle and say "excuse me". As for silent laughter, I cover up my mouth so that no one sees it, and hopefully they don't end up asking why I'm covering up my mouth.

Other things have inexplicably made me laugh as well, and they really shouldn't have. They really were not funny, and if they were to happen right now I wouldn't have laughed - so this must have been some extremely crappy childhood phase. I felt like I was this very evil person or something and I just couldn't live with that. I really wanted the laughter to just stop and never show its evil shadow ever again. I should have applied Alaska's suggestion of remembering something sad back then. I'm remembering some of these triggers now, and the laughter is absent; I sure am glad that's the case. It's gotten me into trouble without even recounting it, as it was pretty hard to miss right there at home.

What a relief that I am not alone in this kind of situation....it's just so difficult to avoid laughing, it just happens. In my case, usually in serious or sad situations for other people.

Last edited:
The sound it makes does resemble a sneeze, so I just end up passing it off as a sneeze; I just end it with a fake sniffle and say "excuse me". As for silent laughter, I cover up my mouth so that no one sees it, and hopefully they don't end up asking why I'm covering up my mouth.
Perfect excuse: you're covering up your mouth because you thought you were about to sneeze ;)

Well, some people do have a very particular laugh. I'm one of them, and it's been pointed out to me so much that I've become super self-conscious about it. Maybe he does have an obnoxious, loud laugh for real --and I'm not saying it's bad, because, again, so do I... but it might be unnerving for other people.

Surely other members here have had something like that pointed out?

Usually when I laugh it sounds more like a sneeze or blowing my nose. I do have a loud "haaa-a-a-a-a!" type of laugh but that one usually shows itself whenever I get tickled (or anticipate being tickled, I'm very ticklish).

Odd spin on this: I have an unusual tendency to laugh at people in a serious state (eg asking me as a child if I did something). It seems to be due to the emotional disconnect. Definitely did not help when I was young, laughing defaults to immediate guilt in many people's eyes.
I also laugh anytime I think of something funny, no matter where I am at or the circumstances.

My most recent experience with this was at work, when I thought of something, found it ridiculously funny, and couldn't stop laughing for five minutes. However, since it has been pointed out to me that I have a loud, obnoxious laugh, I have developed a method of laughing silently.

I've managed to stamp down the 'inappropriate reaction' laughter, so that I can assess the situation first to see if I should laugh. Occasionally, if the surrounding audience is more understanding, I'll let it out ...but most of the time I have to stifle it and try to figure out the nearest way to the bathroom so I can laugh in peace.

I have a history of laughing when I really shouldn't be laughing. For example - whenever my parents would read to me. Dad would read me a serious fiction story about a man trying to hunt down a giant worm, but all I thought about was the man and the worm becoming friends and living in a gigantic house together - so instead of paying attention I just laughed. Dad didn't like it and eventually he just stopped reading me that book. Mom would read a story to me about a boy named Dennis, yet for some reason I kept picturing the name Dennis being equivalent to the name Daniel - so in my mind I kept chanting "Daniel!" and just laughing. She eventually stopped reading that to me for, hmmmm, the same reason. I just feel so bad about this; who knows, if only I didn't freaking laugh and let my folks read stories to me in peace I could have had a better zest for reading right now. I hate myself so much for doing this.

Another example (as if the one above isn't enough), around the same times. This one is even worse! During the 6th grade I would always look at the ceiling intercoms because I used to find them funny at one point, and would just walk through the hallways between classes - laughing. This is the part that's actually bad, also from the same school - I used to picture my imaginary friend from earlier childhood just being next to some students in the hallway and laughing as a result (kept remembering that story I made up to explain why he wasn't in the class photo); thus, it may have come off as though I was laughing at them. This was automatic behavior and I had no idea how to stop it. At the same time I used to have this streak where I would tell my parents EVERYTHING I've done at school each day even if it meant getting into trouble, because I had this paranoia that God might send in a prophet to our home who would tell them everything anyway (I don't have that kind of worry anymore). So I just kept telling them about the laughter and that got me into some trouble with them; I was told that if I don't stop this laughter, these students could eventually all gang up on me for constantly "laughing at them" (and I was only picturing that imaginary friend; I don't laugh at people). I got in trouble once again because a student actually asked me "what's so funny?" one day (and I of course recounted that to my parents due to my prophet fear). This did finally go away at some point and I don't even remember how. Doesn't matter, as long as it stopped.

And then there are often random moments where I REMEMBER something funny - let's face it, my mind is always racing. Has this ever happened to anybody, the struggle with the random laughter? I'm always afraid of laughing when I'm at work, for example, due to possibly remembering something funny (because again, my mind is always racing). Please share any insights if you've ever been in a similar spot, or are in such a spot right now. Laughing is supposed to be a good thing, especially for someone like myself who's always down in the dumps - yet somehow I manage to make even that antagonistic.
A. We'll have the fun wrinkles from laughing.
B. At least you're "behaving" as opposed to throwing your shoe at someone. :p
My Mother's go to thing 4me was "behave."
This annoyed me since it didn't occur to me not to and made me feel like she expected the worst from me. Which in turn assisted in my not caring even slightly about others' potential considerations of me.
C. I've come to "explain" my incessant outbursts as, "Well? What else CAN you do?"
Ex: listening to radio story about Syrian refugee in Japan. It was mentioned that he had a better chance of making Japanese soccer team than...and I lost it.
"Well DOY!!! HIS SYRIA WILL BE OBLITERATED SOON ENOUGH THUS RENDERING HIS NATIONAL SOCCER TEAM IMPOSSIBLE!"
This is forever happening with me.
I'm still laughing btw.
Oh soccer.
But yes. Why void out a laugh by worrying about how someone else yadayadablahblah?
Keep the positives on your side.
The frowners can tally up their own set of things they didn't find funny.
Who cares?
Stay happy.
Your life.
Your plusses.

I almost wet my pants laughing often... I am extremely hysterical...to a point where someone why thought I wasnt serious, got me removed from the company's client location (relocated) ... I dont know lol... I just want to overly smile and laugh at everything...see everything no matter how bad as positive... better than being empty or something... Maybe one should just respond "I have symptoms of high functioning autsim and Asperger syndrome, which results in overly smiley/laughing behavioural symptoms, I take what you are saying seriously, but this is indeed a medically diagnosed condition, and I am covered by law"...
I LOVELOVELOVE the "covered by law"!
PERFEXON!

I think it's that your parents read to you the books you did not felt intrested in that you don't like reading. Their fault - not yours, in my opinion.

I actually don't like reading very much, except for a very select few books (like Harry Potter). I actually hate to admit this because I know reading is very important. My parents are disappointed with my lack of interest in reading, very true - but they also admit that they can't force me to do it if I'm not interested. To this day I just can't understand why I'm not into reading...

I wouldn't say it was inappropriate laughing, I laugh because I genuinely find something funny. Perhaps others aren't looking at it the same way as me because I laugh out loud and no one else seems to find it funny? It feels like they should be laughing and are holding back.

I actually don't like reading very much, except for a very select few books (like Harry Potter). I actually hate to admit this because I know reading is very important. My parents are disappointed with my lack of interest in reading, very true - but they also admit that they can't force me to do it if I'm not interested. To this day I just can't understand why I'm not into reading...
I don't understand WHY it is so important - because I read a lot in my younger years (and I understood very little out of it) but I read very little now (often I reread the books I still find interesting and informative).
I met the opinion 'It's irrelevant how much books you read - it's only matters how much you REALLY understood from them".
I agree and I don't itch for 'scores' - I read the books I WANT to understand (and which I like), others - make me shudder with lack of logic, wraping the motives and unrealistic behaviour of the characters to the author's 'grand idea'.
I think that good book-writing - is the effort of the auther to model realistical behaviour of the heroes and (at the same time) to manage the interesting model of the world around them.
That's what I like about the books (and movies) about Harry Potter - the interesting 'parralel' world with curious rules. Same goes for Lois Bujold and her 'Barrayar' series.
I get involved with the books' models of the reality into parallel worlds because ANY thought-up (by a human) world has some logic behind the picture. I take information only if it is presented logically and holds minimum contradictions inside.
The real world has so much contradictions in humans rules of judgement and behaviour that I feel totally lost when I had to deal with new real persons I meet...

I like to discuss the books I like on many levels of their interpretations - I'm terrified that people DO read books but came out with the opinion of mass-culture. They don't make their personal analysis, do not question the logically false general opinion about these books.
Why do they just kill their time on turning the pages, I wonder?
I don't open books I'm not interested in questioning (comparing with my observations) and analysing
Because it's how I enjoy the good books :)

New Threads

Top Bottom