• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Latest MS Surface "Impossible To Repair?"

Uck, definitely won't be buying one in any impossible future. Sticking:) with my desktop.

I'm just wondering how the TSA would feel about examining a device where you can't even visually determine what the components are inside without x-raying them. And whether Microsoft even bothered to consider it.

I'm just wondering how the TSA would feel about examining a device where you can't even visually determine what the components are inside without x-raying them.
When I flying to Toronto from Halifax, Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) never seen a laptop so huge as it was a gaming laptop. They did swab test on my laptop. The machine said my device was OK and I carried on with my day. I almost thought they was going to examine it more in detail. My boss told me one person had CBSA take apart the whole laptop and they found nothing. The only thing CBSA returned to them was the laptop hard drive.

And it seems that such security precautions regarding computer type devices on commercial aircraft flights are only going to get worse. Not better. A trend any hardware manufacturer should be acutely aware of.

I wouldn't want to have the TSA stand there and crack one open only to lament, WTF? And see them pry the rest of it open with a screwdriver and essentially ruin it.

Sounds about right for a Microsoft product. Why is anyone surprised?

True dat. Nothing like having incredible financial resources only to consistently create mediocrity. But in this instance they took a distinct step backwards. :eek:

If they want to create something that proprietary with hidden and locked/glued hardware, like a Rolls Royce they better make it run as good as a Rolls Royce.

Let's just hope they aren't deliberately attempting to "steer" the whole market in this direction. I'm still grappling with disposable contact lenses. But disposable laptops? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I call it "manufacturing by spreadsheet." A bunch of MBAs look at the specs and decide it's cheaper to glue it; cheaper to downgrade the quality of certain components; get a crappy grade of plastic, and now look at the last line! We just made an extra nickel! Multiply that by thousands, and we're all rich!

It only has to last as long as the warranty... and how long do those last these days?

I used to get so incensed when Radio Shack offered me an extended warranty.

"So you are admitting it is crap, and I pay extra so when it breaks I come in and get another one that will break? Don't you have anything that works?"

Apple is notorious for this as well. That's why I prefer a PC over anything else: in most cases, you just pop the cover open and all the hardware is there in front of your eyes.

A standard laptop has far more accessibility than the Surface shown here...why didn't the manufacturer consider this? Do they think people are that stupid or something? I don't need an expensive tech for basic repairs and I certainly don't need another headache lying around the place.

Apple is notorious for this as well. That's why I prefer a PC over anything else: in most cases, you just pop the cover open and all the hardware is there in front of your eyes.

A standard laptop has far more accessibility than the Surface shown here...why didn't the manufacturer consider this? Do they think people are that stupid or something? I don't need an expensive tech for basic repairs and I certainly don't need another headache lying around the place.
Believe it or not most consumers don't care about repairablity or being able to upgrade parts on most products.

Most consumers on average keep their computers for ~5 years, never upgrading the parts or having it opened for repair.

Tablets are kept about ~4 years

Phones and handhelds are ~2 years

Etc...

Consumers hate weight, bulk and moveable parts in their products.

Companies are lucky to breakeven on selling most replacement parts!

The profits and market share are in selling you the complete unit.

Literally GM makes almost nothing selling car parts.

Dell and HP make practically nothing selling parts for their products or their PCs. The profit margins are that thin on PCs and servers.

The list goes on.

Hell Microsoft makes no profits on almost all of their hardware including surface and Xbox.

Actually most PCs, tablets, phones, TVs, Blu-ray players, and most other consumer electronics are sold at a loss or at a very thin profit margins. Very few companies make good profits (mainly Apple and Samsung). It's that cutthroat of an industry.

Add this on top of consumers wanting ever more features and ever smaller/ lighter form factors, at ever cheaper prices causing the products become ever more complex and expensive to manufacture.

Let's not forget how expensive it is to do the logistics and shipping of the parts and products around the world (it is quite expensive)

The point is there is practically no profit or consumer goodwill gained from making parts to repair products.

Hell when I broke my 6s+ screen, Apple replaced the screen for a charge (it was my fault). When the home button broke because of the screen replacement, Apple gave me a new replacement iPhone of the model I had.
This was done to it being that much cheaper for them then having to go the repair process

I also got my Apple Watch back from Apple do to a broken screen.
They gave me a brand new series 1 (dual core) instead of the original model

New Threads

Top Bottom