• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Late to the game but finally here...

LadyS

One eye permanently raised it seems...
V.I.P Member
Hi,
I was recently diagnosed this past year with high-functioning ASD. I've long suspected that there was something different about me since I was young for so many reasons. I grew up in South Asian culture, which unfortunately still is pretty taboo when it comes to mental health so it was even more difficult because with our super large families and high societal expectations, I could never "fit in" or meet the high social demands. I have a brother who is suspected to also have ASD, although he is very much in denial still and refuses to get diagnosed, again due to how our culture tormented us for being "different" when we were younger. Although we have lots of family for financial and physical support, we've never had much emotional support as they were pretty much 'ashamed' of us and still are.

I'm still learning and coming to terms with my diagnosis because as an Asian woman, unfortunately a lot of the burden of the family pride rests on me and my performance as a wife, mother, relative, etc. But a big part of me is very much relieved to finally have answers to my 'differentness' and now I can finally move forward with a new outlook. I still struggle everyday with associated depression and social anxiety. It's also hard for me to find motivation to anything mundane and obligatory. I've also realized that masking my whole life has exhausted me and probably contributes to my issues above.

My interests include music, movies (esp documentaries), a history buff, outdoor hiking and traveling (when possible), animals, board games, some arts and crafts, jigsaw puzzles, anything chocolate, 90's nostalgia and anything to do with space and astronomy. Some dancing, astrology and paranormal studies and life mysteries. I am also pretty fascinated with the human condition, what makes people tick and their underlying personality traits, motivations and genetic tendencies. I feel like I'm pretty intuitive and can read people well, mostly due to my quiet observing nature. I dislike conflict very much, but also feel strongly about fairness and justice, and usually able to see all sides of an argument. In the end I feel I'm just trying to get through this life to the next, because as hard as I try, I just feel like an alien on another planet.

But I'm happy to join and meet people who I can FINALLY relate to and am hoping to learn much more from everyone else. If you made it this far, thank you for reading my LONG intro lol. Cheers and howdy from me!

Hey there, @LadyS , welcome. I am quite new to this forum but I have found a great level of support here, and I am thankful to be somewhere with so many nice and understanding people, and not feel like an alien myself too. I hope you will like it here :) Which country are you from?

Hello and welcome LadyS.

Where abouts in south asia do you come from?

My current obsession is things to do with south Korea. I believe that is east asia?

From my obsession, I can imagine how difficult it is for you to be on the spectrum and so, you have come to the right place.

I was formally diagnosed nearly 2 year's ago now and come here, for mental relief, as it is not easy living with an nt.

upload_2020-10-26_9-0-21.png

Great to have you here. It's very cumbersome the amount of pressure family puts on our shoulders. Good you understand and have stepped out of this.

Welcome to the forum, i share some of your experiences and interests, i joined here earlier this year and enjoy the connections and sence of community and acceptance i find here, a great introduction piece, i hope you like it here.

Hello and welcome LadyS.

Where abouts in south asia do you come from?

My current obsession is things to do with south Korea. I believe that is east asia?

From my obsession, I can imagine how difficult it is for you to be on the spectrum and so, you have come to the right place.

I was formally diagnosed nearly 2 year's ago now and come here, for mental relief, as it is not easy living with an nt.

Thank you for your reply! I hail from India, although born in US.

Hello & welcome, @LadyS .

Are you still in that South Asia setting, or somewhere new?

Unfortunately I married into the South Asian setting, as more for obligatory and personal reasons so I'm still partially in it. Although my husband is more understanding about my feelings towards it and doesn't pressure me too much about social obligations.

Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here and find it supportive. It's good that you have some support from your partner, to be yourself.

:hatchingchick::hatchedchick::seedling::herb::blossom::sunflower::cat:

New Threads

Top Bottom