• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lap top suggestions for web development

Acorn_Elf

I'm going back to community college in fall and thinking about taking the web development program (I'm a beginner) and want a decent laptop for it. I need a new laptop regardless. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Talk to folk in the shop about what you are going to do with the laptop so you get one with enough computing power

No recommendations since there are a lot of them and the prices differ ridicilously between regions.

The needs for "Web development" end up differing a lot, but generally you shouldn't need anything special, so I'd aim for basic stuff known for long term reliability.
Stuff that can be useful in many dev related cases but college probably won't require: good linux compatability, a replacable second drive, lan port, not overheating all the time.

I'm going back to community college in fall and thinking about taking the web development program (I'm a beginner) and want a decent laptop for it. I need a new laptop regardless. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

You might want to first investigate what hardware and software resources your classes involve on a daily basis. You may be expected to primarily use their hardware and software platforms. At least those were the circumstances of what I had to deal with many years ago at a vocational school that specialized in web design.

Where the beginning of the courses involved work on a Mac platform, and later on a PC platform. If I wanted to take work home, I transferred it to a disk to use on my desktop systems. With a goal of not being particularly dependent upon any one operating system. Where software proficiency was far more weighted than whatever hardware you use. Being mindful that as a web developer, you have to build designs that will run adequately on all kinds of platforms, apart from writing code that is cross-browser and multimedia compliant.

Last edited:
I like Dell and Asus brands, and would stay away from HP and Lenovo.

Agree, but I would go for Asus over Dell.
And I'd go for Mac over either, but that might depend on your budget and, as @Judge said, what your course requires.. Macs are nice in that they can be dual-booted into Windows though too..

Always go custom made. People assume custom is expensive, but you actually get more bang for your buck compared to a big name brand.

Firstly you want an M.2 SSD drive. This is a must as it affects everything you do. It's a modern, and very high speed hard drive. This means everything from booting up your laptop to accessing programmes or loading up Web pages will be infinitely quicker.

Next, I'd suggest going with a quad core processor at a minimum. Ideally with 2.5 - 3 ghz basic speed. This should go up to high 3's in turbo/boost mode.

Next RAM - 16GB or 8 in a pinch.

GPU - not sure if what you'll be doing will include gaming, but if it does go with a 1050Ti as an entry level and up to a 2060 or 2070 if you fancy splashing more cash. Basically for gaming you'll be spending more money, but you cannot cut corners when it comes to computer hardware.

You get what you pay for, but an M.2 with a quad core processor and decent ram is perfect for fast and effective daily use.

Ed

I agree with @Rasputin, I think Asus and Dell have the best midrange laptops at the moment. I have an Asus and it has good specs for its price. A couple of years ago I also had a friend ask me for a laptop recommendation and I said she should get an Asus Zenbook. She got it and likes it a lot.

I agree with @Rasputin, I think Asus and Dell have the best midrange laptops at the moment. I have an Asus and it has good specs for its price. A couple of years ago I also had a friend ask me for a laptop recommendation and I said she should get an Asus Zenbook. She got it and likes it a lot.

I am planning to get an ASUS in a few months. Will be my second one. I use a Dell at work. I also have a HP Windows 10 laptop (which sucks) and a MacBook Pro. I have also had a Linux laptop. I guess this makes me a geek.

Last edited:
I am planning to get an ASUS in a few months. Will be my second one. I use a Dell at work. I also have a Windows 10 laptop and a MacBook Pro. I have also had a Linux laptop. I guess this makes me a geek.

Well, this geek has used nothing but Asus motherboards in the computers he's built since the 90s. ;)

Wouldn't have it any other way...though I'd stay away from Asus' automatic updates. Turn this function off. If you really feel compelled to download a bios or driver update, do so manually as a security precaution.

Any time you have a choice over any major download, you want to reserve the right to install it on your terms- and not those of the developer.

Last edited:
I am planning to get an ASUS in a few months. Will be my second one. I use a Dell at work. I also have a HP Windows 10 laptop (which sucks) and a MacBook Pro. I have also had a Linux laptop. I guess this makes me a geek.
I've used an HP laptop before and had problems with it. When I got my Asus laptop the first thing I did was delete Windows 10 and install Linux.

I recently bought a new Acer. It's decent but it can be hard to figure out. Asus seems to be a good brand as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom