• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Landed a job today

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
On a whim, I decided to take a drive to the Philadelphia International Airport where I know they would be hiring shuttle bus drivers. I've driven shuttle buses before and I know I can do it safely. I last drove one in the spring and summer of 2017 before losing my DOT medical card for health reasons. However, I am 80 pounds lighter and don't have the health issues. I have a healthy blood pressure, and while my blood sugar is a little higher than I would like, it is still below the threshold for medication so I shouldn't have a problem qualifying for the card.

I walked in to the shuttle bus office, asked if they were hiring drivers, and they literally asked, "Do you have a CDL with passenger endorsement? When do you want to start?" Normally this would send up a red flag but driving jobs are so high in demand that it was exactly what I was hoping for. So I asked if I could drive the shuttle bus that operates on the airport tarmac. It runs a specially defined route that is clearly marked for the bus only. There is no backing, it is just a loop that runs between the C and F terminals. The driver of the bus is located in a special compartment separate from the passengers so there is literally no customer interaction. It's a slow moving passenger transporter, max 10 mph. I know these are famous last words but I truly believe I can do this - no heavy lifting, no operating on public roads, and a clearly defined area of operation.

I am just waiting to get scheduled for a drug test and DOT physical. They're going to call me tomorrow to get that set up. If this doesn't work out, I scored an interview on Thursday for a security guard position which is close by but pays a misery sum of 11.00 per hour. The driving job is 16.25 per hour which will help out a lot.

Fantastic news Matt! Hope the medical goes OK and you're zooming (at 10mph ;) ) around the tarmac in no time. Well done!

All right! Good on you! Drinking a nice bottle of Sparkling Perrier (actually Sprouts brand, in a can, but you know...) in your honour. :)

Congratulations! This sounds perfect. You have experience, and you know what this specific job entails. You are keenly aware of the details that suggest little or no problems with the routine. Plus, you will be in the 3-dimensional world. And, you get to see life outside of an office or cubicle. This sounds great.

WOW! Okay, so I did not get the job after all. I could've sworn I heard the HR person tell me that she was going to contact me to schedule the drug test and physical. I got a rejection email today. Well, it sucks but move on. Had an interview today. Will have another one tomorrow. Tomorrow's interview is for a security guard position. That might be good ... something simple.

Drat! I was going to congratulate you by asking a bus driver conundrum that only you might know the answer to. Should I ask anyway?

Hey mattymatt, if coding interests you by any chance, and if you feel comfortable about it, you should hit me up if you can since you are in my general area. Thanks!

New Threads

Top Bottom