• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lactobacillus reuteri and probiotics

Hi I have been doing some research into causes of my condition This officially undiagnosed (waiting) but pre-diagnosed (assessment based) high functioning autism with ADHD. I started the initial research not knowing about autism at all, just with huge problems and meltdowns occurring in my life and dealing with going off the beaten track, doing stupid things, drinking, taking etc. I started with the idea that my 'feelings' were the opposite of neurotypicals (true), and that neurotypical feelings for the majority of times (not always) were ability to (Fl1) socially interact, have trust, read people, calmness, bonding, empathy and general connection. These feelings were the opposite of my default state (FL2),which was anxious, stress, insecurity, overthinking, anti-social, intolerant and inpatient. This moved me to look at oxytocin regulation as the cause of concern (as oxytocin generates FL1 attributes). I then realised that I could use certain foods, eggs, spinach, dark chocolate and others to help assist in giving me just a little of these FL1 attributes

However, my research then turned to how I would get oxytocin safely into my system. All of my research pointed to people who would 'go out there' to be those lacking oxytocin regulation. I then also found research which pointed to a strong correlation between lack of this hormone and autism, and from there the parts of the jigsaw just came together for me.

So, syntocinon appeared to me to be the route to go down - but I am not sure how it is possible to obtain and in some countries it appears to have been misused/ banned and is used primarily for birth issues.

My next course of action was to look at what appears to be a control through the gut into oxytocin production, and this has introduced me to pro-biotics:
Lactobacillus reuteri

Has anybody got any experience of these, good or bad. What were they hoping to achieve, what was the outcome
Thank you so much

Just to be clear what I am trying to achieve personally, it's as follows:
1. An understanding chemically of the condition
2. A better way to cope out in the real world
3. Ability to embrace not suppress my condition and maximise it's capability (aspergers)
4. Acceptance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 11.14.10.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 11.14.10.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That doesn't sound like investigation into the cause of Autism, but more into the cause of particular symptoms you find troubling, such as anxiety.

Have you looked into the increase of oxytocin through the increase of estrogen?

And why the synthetic form of oxytocin? How about oxytocin nasal spray?

You can increase it simply by relaxing. As you get rid of cortisol (stress hormone), oxytocin will increase. Swim, read, chill out, eat chocolate, take epsom baths.

Thanks, @Fino, in response, that's correct - I did tap this question out too quickly - it is the production of oxytocin in neurotypicals that I seek in order to alleviate the symptoms of autism, especially under stress conditions. Regarding the nasal spray, I have looked at this and that is an option, my research indicates however that this is a 50/50 (in study conditions) which for me seems to suggest a placebeo effect - but I will try it. As for estrogen, this would make sense, however I have no idea where to start with this other than eating nuts, and other foods. I already consume dairy products to a normal/ significant level as far as I am aware. More research needed. @Yeshuasdaughter, thanks, yes I am trying all of the above and they seem to work to a degree, dark chocolate and coffee are good. As for pro-biotics, my question really is around the hypothesis that L reuteri in the gut will lead to increased oxytocin production in the brain. I want to get as much coverage to what I believe is the silver bullet for alleviating the symptoms (thanks for the rewording Fino on this) as possible.

Isn't the spray pure oxytocin? Why would it be placebo? Inability to reach the brain, or something along those lines? From what I read, it works, but it seems to have negative long-term effects, according to some sources. It seems it's not studied all that much so the cautious thing would be to not use it, I suppose.

How about eating fenugreek? I read that increases oxytocin.
Or OEA (Oleoylethanolamide)?

For prescription, Buspar seems to have some effect on oxytocin, and I think CBD, both for the same reason, something to do with Cannabinoid receptors.

That's all I remember right now.

Isn't the spray pure oxytocin? Why would it be placebo? Inability to reach the brain, or something along those lines? From what I read, it works, but it seems to have negative long-term effects, according to some sources. It seems it's not studied all that much so the cautious thing would be to not use it, I suppose.

How about eating fenugreek? I read that increases oxytocin.
Or OEA (Oleoylethanolamide)?

For prescription, Buspar seems to have some effect on oxytocin, and I think CBD, both for the same reason, something to do with Cannabinoid receptors.

That's all I remember right now.
Oxytocin is a peptide molecule so the spray cannot cross the blood/brain barrier evidently. Busparine subscriptions I believe are predicated on confirmation of depression but it does seem an interesting line of investigation. Will definitely give fenugreek a go. Thanks

Buspar is an anxiolytic so confirmation of anxiety I think would more likely result in the prescription, but you're right that it's prescribed. I only mentioned it because I happen to be taking it, and it has been helpful.

Last edited:
Hi Garry Jackson, this post was made in 2019 and now it's 2023.

I'm about to start this treatment, I found out they sell L. Reuteri pills online.

Please tell me you haven't tried it. I hope because I goddamn need this to work

New Threads

Top Bottom