• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Kobold Press, and Other Third - Party D&D Sourcebook Makers

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
So, since we are all a bunch of absolute nerds here, I assume that I am right in guessing that most of us have played, or at least heard of Dungeons and Dragons. Well, there are companies other than Wizards of the Coast that make source books for monsters, player character rules, campaign settings, and other general game rules. The most famous of them is Kobold Press, mostly because they're also well-known for 3rd-party Pathfinder stuff, as well, and have released homebrew content for 4e, as well.

I actually bought their Tome of Beasts here, which is essentially a big ol' pack of creatures (even has a couple of humanoid races that can be used by PCs) for DMs to throw at their players and spice things up. Funnily enough, that one book has 50 fey creatures, while official Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition has a grand total of 23 fey (counting player races such as Satyr and Eladrin), only 7 of which were included in the Monster Manual. Pretty big difference if you ask me. They also have a book that even further expands it, which is called Creature Codex.

I've been looking through Kobold Press's online store, and it appears that Kobold Press has way more D&D 5e books than Wizards of the Coast does, which is pretty ironic, considering they are a 3rd-party content creator.

Kobold Press also helped Wizards of the Coast create the Tyranny of Dragons campaign line, as well, and they also have two D&D campaign settings of their own: Midgard and Southlands.

Here is a picture of the Tome of Beasts (not really) Pocket Edition:
DSCF7046[1].JPG

Do you guys know of any other 3rd-party Dungeons and Dragons book creators? Sorry for the long post. I can get carried away when writing about something I am interested in/obsessed with.

i never played
my school is hosting a rpg night but it really meant DnD and I thought ugh i want to but know nothing, plus i am shy >.>

i'm not too adept at this but i do know there is kobold press on-line stores(as you already know), mcdm productions online shop, tal'dorei campaign setting at amazon, frog god games online stores, crucible 7's online stores, and goodman-games. boxes of books at my old house. i dont know if the stuff is still there ??? when i get time, i'll look

Interesting! I only ever owned WotC books back when I played but I might have to look into Kobold Press if I ever decide to play again.

i never played
my school is hosting a rpg night but it really meant DnD and I thought ugh i want to but know nothing, plus i am shy >.>
Don't worry, Moon. Don't be shy. D&D players might be weird sometimes but we don't bite. But the monsters your character will face do bite.

I was a bit shy my first time, even though it was with my family.

Yes! I played a couple of times, but couldn't continue haha. I absolutely adore the bard class.
Also, your book looks amazing. Does it have colored pictures?

Yes! I played a couple of times, but couldn't continue haha. I absolutely adore the bard class.
Also, your book looks amazing. Does it have colored pictures?
Yeah, bard is a pretty solid class.

And, yes, it has full-color illustrations of all of the creatures in there.

D&D creatures are amazing. Like the eladrin.
Eladrin is now a playable race found in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. Or you can find it for free from either its old Unearthed Arcana or a 3rd-party site that copy-pastes official player character race stats and allows users to use them for free.

New Threads

Top Bottom