• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would you Change/Not Change, about your ASD?

Knowing your Aspie self, what part would u change, what part would u keep of yourself?

• l would completely change myself

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • l would change 1/2 of myself

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • l am learning to be comfortable in my uncomfortableness (sp)

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Are you comfortable with yourself at this junction, what can you tell the rest of the clan that helped you?

I am unable to participate in your poll, as none of the choices apply to me.

Yes, I am comfortable with myself at this juncture.

A couple, less significant things I'd like to be able to change, if possible, would be my severe lack of wittiness and my inability to decipher sarcasm, whether the result of AS/ASD, or not.

Last edited:
It's great you are comfortable at this point. l want people to focus on now, and show others you can feel a little better.

Are you comfortable with yourself at this junction, what can you tell the rest of the clan that helped you?
I am mostly comfortable with my autism. I AM angry about how my life was mostly wasted do to my being diagnosed late in life. I like my different thinking style, way of looking at things, and problem solving abilities.

The only thing I would change is improving my social interaction abilities, and being able to experience feelings for others (although this may not be a direct part of my autism).

I have had 51 years to get used to being me. I cannot imagine being anyone else and the only thing I really would change about myself is the CFS/ME although having said that, it allows me to be on a disability income and I need that and it would be very unlikely that I'd get an autism diagnosis at this point. People qualified to diagnose adults and female ones at that are difficult to find and not likely affordable to me.

l have just some exited the PTSD fog, l was gaslighted by my ex. Of course, l was busy observing the patterns of his gaslighting, (patterns of anything equally delight my pea brain).

Truthfully, l have no idea if l should keep or change the "l observe any and all patterns of everything". In someways it's entertaining, like watching paint dry on the wall, but l am use to it.

I believe that observing patterns is the result of ones's brain wiring, and, not something a person can change, necessarily. Although, I am not an expert, and could be wrong.

My poll was hypothetical, if you could change something about yourself, what would you change? I was debating if l should change the constant awarness of pattern observations that seem to preoccupy my brain 24/7.

Ah, I see. Coincidentally, I posted a similar topic, several weeks, ago, however, not specific to AS/ASD.

Last edited:
l only discovered this about myself about 2 weeks ago, that l qualifed for this forum. lol.

Well l use to think l was in that realm, but l have had a mental adjustment...

:eek:

I would not change a thing. As far as I am concerned, the advantages of being on the spectrum outweigh the disadvantages by a long way. Thanks to Asperger's Syndrome, I can do things that most can not. As I have gotten older, the social thing has gotten better. I like being a Aspie.

What would I change ?

1) - Finding a quicker, sure fire way of creating new habits.
(CBT/neurogenisis ?)

2) - methodically and patiently comb through information available on ASD, in particular the parts applicable to me.
(If indeed they are applicable)
- at the moment I feel like a ferret on speed. It’s tiring.

I believe I said in Loren's thread something to the effect of, "To be more verbally articulate. My IQ drops by 40 when I go from written to verbal," unless that was another thread but sounds like it wasn't.

It's not even a matter of speech, I don't think, my brain just doesn't produce the thought if someone is in the room. I also naturally edit my thoughts to dumb them down and avoid big words, a habit conditioned from grade-school.

I feel like these are things I could change, though, at least to an extent. And, really, I only ever desire change immediately after a negative encounter with someone in which they act like I'm a freak or are overly nice in a way that has the same effect.

New Threads

Top Bottom