• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Juxtaposing traits?

Daydreamer

Scatterbrained Creative
When I was looking into advice on how to write fictional characters, I remember coming across the advice of giving your character two opposing traits that seem contradictory when viewed from a distance, but when given full context the two actually make sense together.

This got me wondering how this could apply to myself and others. I noticed quite a few potential examples of this. For instance, I often come across as low-energy yet I fidget a lot and hate sitting still. I tend to think things through, but I am also good at thinking on the spot and improvising.

Something that throws people off is my quick reflexes. I go between a leisurely pace and restlessly pacing. Due to my calm outward expression and seeming lack of urgency, I am sometimes underestimated. I can use this to my advantage. Games that require keeping track of fast movement such as air hockey and which cup a ball is under I excel at.

I'm also a lazy perfectionist. Coming up with ideas usually isn't the issue, my brain goes in all sorts of directions. However, I do have a tendency to put them off because I don't wanna do the work since I'm aware that it probably won't reach my standards. It's one of the most self-destructive parts of my personality. One time I did a two-month long project in the space of ten days (don't do this if you can avoid it- not a good idea) and got top marks. So I'm aware I have the capability to apply myself, but tend to put it off anyway. At the start it might seem as though I'm not engaged with the work, but I'm also the type of student to inexplicably show up with several notes, a plan and somehow a put together project even though I was spinning around on a chair several weeks ago saying "I have no idea what I'm doing!" :p

Some of this stuff you describe definitely resonates for me here.

My main hobby is gaming, and my main talent is being very, very fast. Both in reflexes and mental processing speed, to the point where I can outdo very experienced and practiced tournament players in something like a fighting game, simply through sheer speed alone. Along with that, those players often put hundreds of hours into practice, at those games. While I do... none. I'm lazy and it's boring, so heck with that. On the other hand, with some things I will sit there for like 20 years trying to make a decision on something by trying to calculate absolutely everything. Yet I'm so extremely impulsive in other ways, and am terrible at planning. And I was a REALLY terrible student, back in school/college. Just awful.

I'm betting that quite a few people on this forum have similarly conflicting traits.

Did put things off to the very last minute in college. Like term papers. I have no idea why unless it was anxiety and stress probably. Then l realized l just had to do it. Work assignments aren't too bad as long as l get to dictate some of the parameters. In some offices, you don't leave until the assignment finished. I fluctuate between being overly productive or staying up until it's done.

Also have fast physical reflexes, despite a seeming lackadaisical manner, also put stuff off. I guess it's a club.

Just checked the definition of lackadaisical cos aging brain stuff - does that mean what I think it means and... its me!

I'm always thinking and planning things I would like to do, then I can't seem to get started on the project.
Things keep going around in my mind and how to do it, but, it seems easier to keep putting it off.
Like I have the mental energy, but, not the physical.

I like that word. Lackadaisical. :cool:

I think I have some ADHD traits that are in conflict with my ASD traits, so:
-I resist change, but want to try out new things.
-I have loads of ideas, but new seem to be able to organise them or follow through with them
-crave novelty, seek stimulation, but am exhausted by it.
-really want to go to the concert, but hate the crowds and music being really, really loud.
-want to go shopping, but find the whole procedure of getting ready, getting stuff, going there, making lists, etc overwhelming.
-want to try that new restaurant, but when I get there, I hate the noise, smoke, the fact that they don't prepare the food how I like it despite having asked for it, I sit there not talking and get bored, then want to get up and walk around or go home.

Definitely relate to the lazy perfectionist, I can have all these ideas for drawings and yet I will
procrastinate so much that I will won’t do it or I end up thinking of the next idea before I even start the first one. When I do draw it’s always starts with just rough sketches that I do in a sketch pad and won’t precede to the actual drawing unless I’m happy with what I drawn with the rough sketch and sadly I sometimes get stuck in the rough sketch drawing stage and don’t do the actual finished drawing.

New Threads

Top Bottom