• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just mowed my first ever lawn.

unperson

V.I.P Member
Well it was a milestone for me, at 63, I've never mowed, mostly lived in flats, then on a small acreage. Payed people usually, but I finally bought my first mower, took months to get here cos they recalled it, it's a lightweight electric. Worked up a small sweat even.

An electric lawn mower was the first one I had to use to earn my allowance as a child. Back then it used a very long cord! Always scared to death of chopping it to bits. :eek:

I'm guessing nowadays they are rechargeable and use lithium batteries. :cool:

Later I was graduated to a gas powered mower...circa 1972:

512.jpg

Front & back yards amounted to nearly an acre of mostly grass. The dogs loved it. Me? Not so much. :eek:

Last edited:
The first lawn mower I used was a gas mower, simply what my dad owned...

I admittedly haven't used a lawn mower in many years, only because I've been a renter for my entire adult life

When I was a teen, I mowed a lot of lawns and delivered a lot of papers to make money. I also liked working on lawn mowers and made a little money doing that. I had to make that money so I could have my toys.

I went with corded electric because I've had several battery chainsaws and the ongoing cost of battery/charger replacement plus higher purchase costs is ugh. Replacing a cord is hella cheaper than pricey batteries/chargers.

Thanks for the comments all.

An electric lawn mower was the first one I had to use to earn my allowance as a child. Back then it used a very long cord! Always scared to death of chopping it to bits. :eek:

I'm guessing nowadays they are rechargeable and use lithium batteries. :cool:

Later I was graduated to a gas powered mower...circa 1972:

View attachment 66678

Front & back yards amounted to nearly an acre of mostly grass. The dogs loved it. Me? Not so much. :eek:

Whoa, that's quite a wide deck!

I have a little hover mower, really light and has lasted many years. There's just a pocket hankin of grass... it takes 5 minutes if I don't rush it.

I've never mowed a lawn, myself. When I was a small kid my parents mowed the lawn (gas mower, I think). Sometimes our toys would get caught in the mower and get "battle scars" from fighting "Shredder" (what we called the mower).

When we moved to California we ended up in houses where the companies we paid rent to paid for lawn care. Now we live in a place where the lawn would be our own responsibility, but it's all dirt, not counting the garden mom is trying to grow.

I cut 5 to 6 lawns each time out, depending on what part of the year it is. Might be 4 acres or so.
I keep three riding mowers going that each serve their own purpose. One is a finish mower, one a rough mower and one just to trim.

My handlebar Snapper unit I call Forest Gump: The Snapper
It's basically a glorified push mower with a seat on it, but a lot of fun and very safe. The 30 inch deck is tiny, but it can turn on a dime.

There are 11 riding mowers here on the spread, some for work, some for sale and a three just for fun.
I cleaned house on the push mower pile last fall, but there are still six of them here. (To tell the truth, I hate the damned things)
Need a string trimmer?
I have upwards of 50 of 'em, many running and just as many for parts. (I hate those too)
I only have 8 chainsaws :p

Yes, I'm a hoarder :D

I have a little hover mower, really light and has lasted many years. There's just a pocket hankin of grass... it takes 5 minutes if I don't rush it.

I like them but I'm not sure you can buy them here anymore, the brand was Flymo here.

Yes it's a Flymo, I had 3 til recently, a big one the last people left, a medium one I had at my last house, and the little one my sister donated when she got a gardener. It was the easiest to carry up from the cellar, there's no garage or shed. They were like an orange Flymo family. However we gave away the bigger 2 to others with more grass.

Well, the riding mower count just increased again :p
20210424_165041.jpg

My 2013 Murray 24 inch with electric start
It's so tiny that it's basically a 6 speed push mower with a seat :p
20210424_165052.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom