• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just had the ADOS Module 4 Adult Assessment

Ursula222

They asked about feelings. They asked what it's like when I'm happy & I said usually it's sparked by one of my interests & it's like a "phwah" feeling with butterflies in my stomach. I said something like it's nice. Anxiety- I said hot flashes & butterflies in my stomach. when asked about anger I just didn't know what to say & went off on a tangent about how when past alcoholics in my life did things that annoyed or upset me I would just feel nothing (like the calm before a storm) & told myself "it will be alright" but knew that anxiety was coming the next day & that worried me as it would make me feel bad & exacerbate my OCD. In the end I think I just denied I ever get angry & said that I am "pretty even tempered & have never hit anyone". They also asked me how I knew when someone is friends with me & I said because they want to see you again & do shared interests with you. And they were like "but how do you know if they are your friend" & I said something like "because they are nice to you". I also said that I couldn't imagine being friends with someone who didn't have the same interests as me. They asked how I knew my bf was bf & I told the story of how we got together & said that one of us asked what this meant & the other one said that they'd like us to be in a relationship but can't really remember that accurately. They asked me why some people get married & I think I struggled on this one. I eventually said that it initially makes people feel good to be loved but that I don't really see the point as a lot of people get divorced & it seems like unnecessary paperwork. when pressed though I said it seems like a nice sentiment at first & when asked what I mean by sentiment I think I said something like it's a nice feeling to be loved. I think they also asked why some people would want to live together & I said that it might make you feel more secure/safe. I was also asked what annoyed other people. I said lots of things but I wasn't quite sure what & they eventually derived evidence from a later anecdote I told- I don't think I needed much encouragement to talk & go off on tangents.

If anyone could provide some insight into what my answers could've meant that would really help me as I'm scared of being invalidated in some sort of way & it just being a fault with my character. I understand no one on here can diagnose me but just an indication maybe from your own experiences of the ADOS MODULE 4 assessment would really provide comfort to me right now.

Hello and welcome!

The diagnostic tests and waiting for the results can definitely be anxiety ridden.

Keep in mind though that each professional has their own way of assessing things and that a good experienced one would be looking at everything holistically - so a singular factor like not appearing to have issues with maintaining eye contact should not disqualify someone.

Also, the answers you give should reflect what you honestly feel, and not what you think is the right answer. This also helps with assessing (as if often done) if there may be other conditions occurring alongside or instead of the spectrum.

I remember when I had mine, that I had realized that there was some stuff I wanted to say but didn't think of in the moment, and so I sent an email with some additional thoughts. Perhaps you can do the same if you feel you have something to add?

New Threads

Top Bottom