• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just had email from the Undateables

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
They are not filming me for this series! WTH?! So much for "All round the Country", Southern bias my arse, all the "couples" in the last series were from the South Coast.

Nobody wants me, was rejected for a job yesterday, rejected for the Undateables today, seriously is going on here?!

They are not filming me for this series! WTF?! So much for "All round the Country"

Maybe they just had enough people for it. Don't take everything so personally. I applied to be on a programme about people getting help with a therapy dog on Channel 4. I was unsuccessful, but happy that I even went through with the application process as I'd talked myself out of it many times.

I would imagine they have hundreds if not thousands of applications for the 'Undateables', and they can only choose so many people for each series.

Maybe they just had enough people for it. Don't take everything so personally. I applied to be on a programme about people getting help with a therapy dog on Channel 4. I was unsuccessful, but happy that I even went through with the application process as I'd talked myself out of it many times.

I would imagine they have hundreds if not thousands of applications for the 'Undateables', and they can only choose so many people for each series.

Well they said they'd selected 9 people from the whole Country, that's what? 4 and half couples?! :D

Well they said they'd selected 9 people from the whole Country, that's what? 4 and half couples?! :D

Yeah, because the series can only be so long. You can't honestly expect them to pick hundreds of people for a series, just so they get a better cross-section. They have a set budget/time frame/number of episodes to make.

They use dating sites/companies targeted at people with disabilities. Meaning that all 9 of the people they chose will be set up with people through the dating company, so 9 couples.

Just keep on trying Rich, stands to reason the odds will have to be in your favour eventually.

This may not be any comfort but ... Flame Introductions (the agency used for the non-learning-disabled participants) had a stall at the Autism Show last year. I didn't attend, but a friend of mine did and she was approached by one of their reps who evidently thought she would be just right for the programme. So, in other words, the participants are not ordinary members of the public who have written in but have been preselected to some unspecified criteria. Either that or they are already known to the production crew (which must go some way to accounting for the blatant southern, particularly southern coastal, bias). Mind you, I had already suspected this in the case of Ray (the large black man with the unspecified learning disability who has appeared since season 1) when I saw him volunteering as the roving mike handler at an anti-cuts event in 2013: he's obviously a longstanding campaigner within the disabled community.

I wonder if there are analogies to be drawn here with Blind Date. The number of participants who subsequently went on to successful showbusiness careers (see Famous contestants) is far higher than would be expected from a random selection. Because it wasn't (random, I mean).

Rich, you could go along to the Autism Show and give Flame Introductions a piece of your mind. Except that (a) they haven't said whether they will be exhibiting at the show this year and (b) you may consider schlepping to Manchester, Birmingham or London not worth your time.

The amount of applications they get must be huge.. I wouldn’t let it affect me personally. Not on you as a person

This may not be any comfort but ... Flame Introductions (the agency used for the non-learning-disabled participants) had a stall at the Autism Show last year. I didn't attend, but a friend of mine did and she was approached by one of their reps who evidently thought she would be just right for the programme. So, in other words, the participants are not ordinary members of the public who have written in but have been preselected to some unspecified criteria.
In a similar vein, Willow Hope was asked four years ago if she could help with finding contenders. She wrote: Someone from the show's team contacted me wondering if I could help find people who might be interested in taking part, but I refused based on the name of the programme, and how it would show us in a negative light, at least based on first impressions.
Original thread on Asperclick forum

I've recently connected with Alex (colourfully dressed autistic speaker / DJ from series 10 episode 5) on LinkedIn. He told me that he didn't actually apply for The Undateables but rather was asked to go on it (presumably by the production team).

I've recently connected with Alex (colourfully dressed autistic speaker / DJ from series 10 episode 5) on LinkedIn. He told me that he didn't actually apply for The Undateables but rather was asked to go on it (presumably by the production team).

Yeah, I had them approach me too in a similar way on Twitter. But kind of did it in a way that wasn't a direct ask.

Worse things happen to actors, in the Addams family look alike series, The Munsters, one of the main characters was changed for another actress in the next series, playing the same role with the same hairdo and color. Was more popular, younger. Took her spot.

They are not filming me for this series! WTH?! So much for "All round the Country", Southern bias my arse, all the "couples" in the last series were from the South Coast.

Nobody wants me, was rejected for a job yesterday, rejected for the Undateables today, seriously is going on here?!
It's a blessing in disguise. You don't REALLY know what would happen during the process. Some of it would likely be dang annoying! This was a huge long shot, like me expecting to be picked Miss Canada.

It's a blessing in disguise. You don't REALLY know what would happen during the process. Some of it would likely be dang annoying! This was a huge long shot, like me expecting to be picked Miss Canada.

Who knows when the next series will be filmed, if at all. Social distancing is making dating tricky, if not impossible.

New Threads

Top Bottom