• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just completed Asperger's assessment

Gift2humanity

V.I.P Member
Hello
Just completed asperger's video assessment, nice lady spent hours on me.
I asked if she thought I had Asperger's and she said it's likely, she has to write up her report.
This is good news for me if so, not bad news.
It explains a lot.
I know people are happy to self diagnose and have their own reasons which is good.
I just wanted to know if the NHS thinks I am an Aspie.

Glad for you to have that clarity
Thank you, hope it's a definite and I get the letter, I feel like an aspire, in the same way as a woman trapped in a man's body feels like a woman/or vice versa.
Hope that doesn't offend any of our trans members on here, it was the only analogy I could think of, an Aspie inside the body of an NT.
I know you trans folks may look like the gender you were born in, yet you feel it's the wrong one, well NT is like "the wrong gender' for me.

Am I right in thinking you're from the UK? I spoke with my GP last week and the place dealing with assessments is still shut and has been since the lockdown began in March. I'm wondering how big a backlog they will have to get through when they reopen - and where abouts in the queue I will end up.

Ed

Am I right in thinking you're from the UK? I spoke with my GP last week and the place dealing with assessments is still shut and has been since the lockdown began in March. I'm wondering how big a backlog they will have to get through when they reopen - and where abouts in the queue I will end up.

Ed
Oh no, what an absolute pain.
I am from the UK.
I was assessed via video, even my CPN is doing my next appointment over the same video.
The psychiatrist had a hand in getting me assessed quickly as I was on a lot of recreational drugs when I had my last one in 2015, so they distorted the assessment, I am still on valium but a fraction of what I was on and am officially prescribed it.
I wonder if you could see your GP about being assessed by an NHS trust who do video or phone assessments?

Hello
Just completed asperger's video assessment, nice lady spent hours on me.
I asked if she thought I had Asperger's and she said it's likely, she has to write up her report.
This is good news for me if so, not bad news.
It explains a lot.
I know people are happy to self diagnose and have their own reasons which is good.
I just wanted to know if the NHS thinks I am an Aspie.
If she offers you help afterwards take it

Ed
How bad is your mental health? I was seen within 6 months it's supposed to be 3,you could be bumped up the list if you seem ill!!!

She said if I am diagnosed there will be a post diagnosis appointment and an info pack, hopefully there will be resources.
Where iam there's a college apart from that ,if you are over 25 no school training ,covid has changed what you can access ,there is video everything .

Hey-welcome to the official club. I am still in the self-diagnosed informal club. Nothing, no parking decals, key fobs, just nothing in this club.

Hey-welcome to the official club. I am still in the self-diagnosed informal club. Nothing, no parking decals, key fobs, just nothing in this club.
HUGS mine hasn't been confirmed in writing yet. She just said its likely.
I hope you can get a diagnosis because, while I know Many are happy with self diagnosis, some are not.
I just wanted an explanation for the way I am.

HUGS mine hasn't been confirmed in writing yet. She just said its likely.
I hope you can get a diagnosis because, while I know Many are happy with self diagnosis, some are not.
I just wanted an explanation for the way I am.
We always went to the library sigh!and looked up the symptoms, but the paper pushers always! want paper, thankfully I've got a e version saying I don't need to wear a face mask ,applied for a blue badge doubt I will get it .

An info pack and a diagnosis letter which was one paragraph hoping for a tshirt
When I had my failed diagnosis, the assessor wrote a looooong letter highly detailed saying why I didn't fit the criteria, recapping what we talked about face to face and recapping my mum's questionnaire.
With the help of my psychiatrist, he re-sent the letter and asked me to tell me which points I disagreed with.
I wrote a long huge letter back, someone kindly printed it for me, quoting that drugs distorted the assessment, quoting things my mum missed or got wrong, she is elderly now, can't blame her, and adding things I should have said in the assessment, plus pointing out incorrect things I said, masking behaviour had become so commonplace for me I didnt even know what I was doing.
The lady assessor read it thoroughly, spent hours interviewing me over video, and said she would re-write the letter with the corrections in, and what her and me had discussed.
I think I will get a long letter back. Hope her "likely aspire" is definite.
I will if diagnosed, get a post diagnosis interview by another member of staff. She mentioned things to help me socially. Dunno about the info pack, will have to wait.
It may be that things are different for each NHS trust. Things seem even different in our trust, a lady I know has been trying to get her son diagnosed since 5 he is 8 now.
My psychiatrist wrote directly to them after he allowed me to hand write a letter, I did a rare thing, I looked ahead and asked my GP surgery for a copy of the original failed diagnosis letter to see what the errors or wrong things I had said were.
I have my shrink to thank, shame I can't see him, but I do have a video meeting with my CPN and I must remember to pass my thanks onto my shrink for his hand in getting me to this stage. I won't be happy till I get the letter, trying to shut a negative voice down in my head which says "What if she changes her mind" She did say I had a lot of asp traits and am likely Asperger's. Sorry you got a small letter, but it is an official diagnosis.
I just want to be recognised as vulnerable, not in a bad way, just for people to say "She really does have difficulties"
She really is a vulnerable adult.

We always went to the library sigh!and looked up the symptoms, but the paper pushers always! want paper, thankfully I've got a e version saying I don't need to wear a face mask ,applied for a blue badge doubt I will get it .
I hope you do get a blue badge. Buses would save me a fortune in taxi fares, but I would feel greedy asking for a bus pass, dunno if espies get them, if they don't well, that will have to be ok.

New Threads

Top Bottom