• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just been shortlisted for a customer service job!

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
I applied for a customer service advisor role in Town this morning via Totaljobs.co.uk and I've just had an email saying I've been shortlisted, and to give Rachel Taylor a call ASAP.

Yay! Go me! Only thing is I can only work a maximum of 15 hours a week at minimum wage, whether that's an issue I don't know.

But it's a result!

I had to turn down the job, for various reasons I can't come off benefits so I can't work full time.

How about a part time job and work some overtime there? Like, say a ten hour contract and work five hours extra.

Do you know what the contract hours is?

How about a part time job and work some overtime there? Like, say a ten hour contract and work five hours extra.

Do you know what the contract hours is?

Yeah, 40 hours a week, I can't do it.

Physically never mind anything else, as for why I can't come off benefits, my rent is paid for by Housing Benefit, so if I lose that I'd have to work 60 hours a week just to break even on a week's rent and other expenses.

I rang up earlier, they said the job is NOT part time.

Meh, I tried.

In other news, without a new thread, I just applied for part time work in a local Building Society.

At least you have even more direction now. Part time work it is.

I was always looking for part time, no more than 15 hours per week at minimum wage.

I meant that it seems more pragmatic to only pursue those jobs clearly advertised as such, rather than attempting to negotiate over what otherwise may be a full time job.

And to be aware of jobs that may "float", where they are seldom on the same days each week. (My brother has worked like that full-time for years and hates it. Luckily he's retiring in two months!)

you can do it! I work a 20-hour work week. Lots of part-time jobs out there - just keep applying and you'll find one! :) Keep us posted...

Most part time jobs have 20 hour minimum or so i remember, which could make it even more difficult.
you can do it! I work a 20-hour work week. Lots of part-time jobs out there - just keep applying and you'll find one! :) Keep us posted...

A lot have 20 hour minimum, though.

Way to go Rich :D Well done with all of it. Keep on perusing and applying. There has to be something with your name on it out there :)

I got an email this morning from that Building Society job I applied for yesterday, that would've been ideal because when I looked up where it is on Google Maps it's literally up the road from where I live, but they said "You haven't been successful", and I was literally like, WTF?! Equal opportunities my arse, they say that because they have to.

they said "You haven't been successful", and I was literally like, WTF?! Equal opportunities my arse, they say that because they have to.

I wouldn't read too much into it if I were you. I'm no expert on building societies but I imagine they're looking for people with more experience, qualifications, etc than somewhere like a supermarket would. Also I wouldn't have thought a building society would only be paying its employees minimum wage and so the position wouldn't have suited you anyway... although again I might be wrong.

Your relentless pursuit of work is absolutely something to be commended but maybe don't aim so high. Don't run before you can walk and all that.

Most part time jobs have 20 hour minimum or so i remember, which could make it even more difficult.

A lot have 20 hour minimum, though.

Not true. My firm offers 15-hours a week, even less. So don't assume that 20-hours is minimum. Each firm/company is different.

IDEA: Have you ever considered temping? or an office outsourcing company like Williams Lea? When I was in my 20's looking for part-time jobs, temping was ideal - you can work as little as 1 day a week, and the skill-sets are not that hard. Some are just document photocopying and working in copy centers. Also, Williams' Lea is a huge company that does nothing but copy centers and they offer both full and part-time work - it's kind of like a temp agency in that you work at different firms, and they even have part-time "floaters" so you go to different sites. Both of these would be very flexible for you AND part-time. So, consider that...& stay positive! You WILL find something soon, I just know it! :)

PS My local Safeway actively hires autistic people part-time! Have you looked into some of your local grocery stores?

Not true. My firm offers 15-hours a week, even less. So don't assume that 20-hours is minimum. Each firm/company is different.

IDEA: Have you ever considered temping? or an office outsourcing company like Williams Lea? When I was in my 20's looking for part-time jobs, temping was ideal - you can work as little as 1 day a week, and the skill-sets are not that hard. Some are just document photocopying and working in copy centers. Also, Williams' Lea is a huge company that does nothing but copy centers and they offer both full and part-time work - it's kind of like a temp agency in that you work at different firms, and they even have part-time "floaters" so you go to different sites. Both of these would be very flexible for you AND part-time. So, consider that...& stay positive! You WILL find something soon, I just know it! :)

PS My local Safeway actively hires autistic people part-time! Have you looked into some of your local grocery stores?

Temporary work would be an option if not for the fact I would have to inform the Benefits office, and it would take them 3 months to fill in the paper work for me to be allowed to work.

New Threads

Top Bottom