• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just applied for 4 hour part time position at Superdrug!

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Above.

Saw the position advertised on the Superdrug website after a search, and decided to go for it. Uploaded the latest version of my CV detailing over 20 years of experience, and a recent photo, and completed my profile on the site.

Applied for a 4 hour position as a sales adviser at the Sheffield Station Store. easy enough to get to, the Tram goes behind the Station.

Yeah like I said last night, I'm quietly confident, with all my years of experience.

Only problem is, shops like Superdrug tend to employ mainly women, and as far as I know, as I've said before, I don't think gender based discrimination is illegal here.

Gender based discrimination IS legislated against in the UK under the Equality Act of 2010, but that doesn't mean that it, along with many other forms of discrimination, doesn't happen. It just goes on under the surface and the legal onus is on the person affected to prove it.
I worked for a chemist/pharmacy chain many years back and any jobs we advertised were mainly responded to by women, far more than men, which was reflected in the gender mix in store. Maybe Superdrug is the same :)

Gender based discrimination IS legislated against in the UK under the Equality Act of 2010, but that doesn't mean that it, along with many other forms of discrimination, doesn't happen. It just goes on under the surface and the legal onus is on the person affected to prove it.
I worked for a chemist/pharmacy chain many years back and any jobs we advertised were mainly responded to by women, far more than men, which was reflected in the gender mix in store. Maybe Superdrug is the same :)

As most people on here know, I've been saying for years that the Equality Act has no teeth because the government don't enforce it IMO.

Hence guys like me can't get a job beyond the voluntary sector, and there's thousands of severely disabled adults who get declared "fit to work" by ATOS/The DWP and then go on to commit suicide when their benefits get axed.

the Equality Act has no teeth

Couldn't agree with you more mate, but the point is that the legislation is there, even if it can be difficult to use it where it should be applied. We live in a country which has been accused of "systemic violation of the human rights of disabled people" by the United Nations, yet it still goes on. ATOS & Capita keep getting their contracts renewed under different company names and official figures keep getting revised or ignored if they tell an inconvenient truth.
IF you suspect you were excluded from a job opportunity because of your gender or disability it's unfortunately down to you to hire a lawyer and prove it, which of course you don't stand a chance of doing. The odds may be stacked against you if you want the legislation to do it's job, but nonetheless it exists.
There are plenty of employers who will discriminate for all sorts of daft reasons, I've seen it in action and challenged it, but my reservations fell on deaf ears. They know they will likely get away with it, but there are also decent people out there, making employment decisions, who are just as repulsed by prejudice and discrimination as you or I. You don't know who the decision makers will be, but if you are lucky they will be somebody with a proper moral conscience and they will give you the chance you deserve.

Not as I know of, it's all done online apparently.

I called into the Superdrug store at the Station earlier this week and that's what they told me.
The great, big, and frustrating black hole called the internet .... Man, I'm sorry you haven't gotten word yet.

The great, big, and frustrating black hole called the internet .... Man, I'm sorry you haven't gotten word yet.

Yeah plus stores like Superdrug mainly employ women because they sell beauty products, even though apparently, gender discrimination was made illegal under the 2010 Equality Act, but meh, I'll spare you my thoughts on that score.

Yeah plus stores like Superdrug mainly employ women because they sell beauty products, even though apparently, gender discrimination was made illegal under the 2010 Equality Act, but meh, I'll spare you my thoughts on that score.
Gender discrimination and age discrimination are definitely illegal. They just find other ways to disqualify you.

New Threads

Top Bottom