1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Judging/Analysing others is a autistic feat?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Imeguras, Apr 23, 2021.

Do you find yourself creeping on others lifes too often?

1. Yes, i find myself often inspecting others in a new environment

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Kinda, I do it frequently but not everywhere

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Sometimes, but I rarely think about me doing it

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Almost never only when the person is very flamboyant in some characteristic

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. No, I never do it

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. Imeguras

Imeguras Member

The title may be offensive or down right preposterous, but I always was curious, sometimes out of societies expectations, and one thing I usually do is judge/analyse others to the point of most neurotypical people thinking its creepy/stalker behavior like looking at some person outward appearance, posture, eyes, clothing, phone branding, and extrapolating a personality or a etho's out of that person, sometimes I do it out loud with friends just as commentary, which annoys a friend of mine seriously since its not only creepy.

My intentions may not be the best, but normally I do it for finding friends, and it normally works(but maybe its a placebo from me not giving the others a shot but then again I've been proved right a lot more times than wrong), sometimes to fantasize(although the word carries a "positive" meaning it may not be the case) about what it would be like to be in a relationship with that person, to imitate, to meet, to make live commentary(don't know how to fully explain it, kinda like telling a story to myself on what is surrounding me)

The thing is while talking to a autistic efriend (she also post's here), she says that she also does it frequently and that she thought everyone does it, so I'm kinda coming to the conclusion it may be an autistic thing.

So is it? Do you find yourself creeping on others too often?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Have you tried the Myers Briggs personality type indicator test? You can find free versions online, one aspect that is covered is Judging, although it may not line up completely with what you mean here, not sure. I always score quite low on it, the opposite characteristic in that test is called Perceiving, I seem to do that more, and get a result of INTP which seems relatively common amongst autistics here, as is ISTJ and maybe some other types, like INTJ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝️

I am not sure what you mean.
    I know that I misread emotions & body language, but I passively pick up details in others' speaking demeanor/patterns and in their writing voice. That is less true when I just meet a person, but it becomes clearer over time.

Some people get creeped out by my level of analysis, but it isn't deliberate. And I don't stalk anyone apart from information that is publicly available.

It is very similar to the ability to recognize some musicians or artists in their work.

That "passive" analysis also gives me pause with glaring plot holes in fiction.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Aspychata

Aspychata Serenity waves, beachy vibes

l don't want the title of stalker in my lifetime. l was stalked for 4 years by someone who l don't know. l ended up with someone very high up in the public protection services. He got the stalker after 2 years. It was very intense. It left me with a lot of PTSD. l was stalked for a total of 4 years by someone who l know absolutely nothing about. I went to hell as a result, and l never gave up who protected me.☺ He was able to retire from public service as the great person he was. l am proud l kept it together. But l also had a fantastic psychologist who was gold. Thank you to that beautiful man. Psychologists are just as great as psychiatrists.☺ It's amazing in life that we can never truly thank those people. Because their standing means they must stay anonymous.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. unperson

unperson Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

No, I get overinterest and inappropriate curiosity from others, a lot. It is creepy, but so many people are psychos these days.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Part of what you describe sounds like Sherlock Holmes. I don't think it a autism trait per se, but if you lean that way, the tendency to be especially interested might kick in, if you are on the spectrum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

You called? :D

Guilty of this one (sometimes), actually I suspect I do it lots but am not always aware that I'm doing it... As someone else said in this discussion, I will only look for public information but tend to be curious, and will look things up about other people, just because I am curious... I also know that I enjoy hearing people's stories, what they have been through, their life story... As some know I do stranger portraits in my photography, and have been amazed how much some people will share to a complete stranger with a camera...

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Neonatal RRT

Neonatal RRT Well-Known Member

@Imeguras
    What you are describing is similar of how a criminal "profiler" or a psychologist takes all the presented "clues" and then extrapolates upon how a person will likely behave or what kind of socioeconomic background they come from. Understandably, it may be fraught with error, especially for someone with low cognitive empathy that may have a difficult time accurately interpreting behavior and communication signals.

I sort of do this in my personal life in order to fit in or make an impression. If I am going to visit relatives who live in a rural area, if I am going to work, or am going to a bank to apply for a loan, I am going to dress accordingly. If you just saw me someplace with dirty jeans, a T-shirt, and work boots, you might make some false assumptions about my socioeconomic status, because the next day, you might see me at the auto parts store with greasy, dirty clothing, grease under my nails and driving a vintage Mustang, the next you might see me wearing hospital scrubs and a lab coat, and the next day you might see me wearing a 3-piece suit and driving my new Tesla.

The bottom line, people are not always as they may appear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. unperson

unperson Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

yuh, the clothing code is horrendous, I'm not average size, so I can't adopt their clothing styles.

10. Streetwise

Streetwise Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

From what I know of psychology it's rooted in insecurity so it's any neurology

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  11. The Lorax

The Lorax Active Member

NTs are used to the NT world which is the average. Almost all NTs have no concept of the social struggles of autism. I suggest a channel called Charisma on Command. The guy is excellent at demonstrating social interactions. I would also get Pamela Moyer's book called Lie Spotting. Excellent foundational book that deals mostly with business to business interactions with body language.

Be aware, and this comes from a brilliant psychologist I know, that people on the spectrum do not have an innate ability to read other people's emotions and body language... as you all know. But many also can't be taught it or it's very difficult to for them to learn it.

Then on top of all this if your autism is noticeable enough it changes an NT's base behavior toward you which makes it even MORE difficult to understand them. Thus why I recommend the YT series above. You watch interactions and see NT vs NT interactions in their raw state unedited. The streamer explains the hows and whys.

I am an NT and I know within seconds when I meet someone if they are on the spectrum. But I have studied body language and behavior. My wife and son both are on the spectrum. So I understand the perspective of both sides of the equation.

I know it's tough. I tell my wife that to me an autistic person seems more normal than an NT. They are full of hangups, get offended easily, don't speak their mind, or speak in hints instead of saying it how it is. My be the Queens NY in me. In the North East and South East Florida people just say it how it is. There is no sugar coating. I lived in parts of the country that would drive me nuts because people were overly polite when their body language was saying something else. And if you got to the root of what they really thought they would get upset at you for it lol. Fricken other NTs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Eric Greenland

Eric Greenland New Member

Are you Yoda?

13. The Lorax

The Lorax Active Member

No I am the Lorax. The picture says so.