• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Journalism Sites are Poorly Designed

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
When I was looking through this thread, somebody posted a link to an article from the New Your Times related to the subject. However, when I clicked on this article, I saw this mess . . .
Screenshot (27).png

Yup, that is a white mass that covers more than half the webpage yelling at me to sign in.

I no longer care about what the article says anymore. I don't want to sign in at all, with anything. Not even my google account.

Why do journalism sites do this? Why do they force you to do things like guilt trip you into turning off your adblock and force you to sign in? It is annoying as heck and I don't like it.

When I was looking through this thread, somebody posted a link to an article from the New Your Times related to the subject. However, when I clicked on this article, I saw this mess . . .
View attachment 64168
Yup, that is a white mass that covers more than half the webpage yelling at me to sign in.

I no longer care about what the article says anymore. I don't want to sign in at all, with anything. Not even my google account.

Why do journalism sites do this? Why do they force you to do things like guilt trip you into turning off your adblock and force you to sign in? It is annoying as heck and I don't like it.

Yeah, I hate news websites that demand you turn your adblocker off - reason being that many times, you're then flooded with so many ads that the page drops to a snail's pace or crashes altogether.
As for ones that demand you sign up, I'll just try to find the story elsewhere.

I never support news sources that only seek to increase the disparity of rich and poor. NYT is expensive and they are elite. Probably great stuff in there to help the people sort things out. But do they let it out? No. They say they want a free press----BAHAHAHAHA. Free, my butt.

I like to check Google News frequently, but if a news site has a paywall, I tell Google News to block all headlines from that site, so I don’t have to be frustrated by an interesting headline to an article I can’t read (and am too cheap to pay for). I could see someone else doing the same if they just hate the layout of a site.

Occasionally, there will be a site with a paywall pop-up that obscures the article, but I can still read the article by telling Google Chrome to show me the source code for the page.

Most of the time, I’ll just google the keywords from the article and find the same news on a more open site.

Seems like the last gasp of the print media trying to have things their way as opposed to inevitably becoming extinct. Eventually they'll be forced to acknowledge how the economics of media (much like software) continues to evolve. In a manner where the cost cannot be rationally expected to be picked up by readers.

When I run into such barriers, I simply go to another site until I get what I am looking for. After all, there's always someone out there willing to give away what they know without any strings attached.

Ironic that Amazon's Jeff Bezos owns the NYT, as he knows better.

That's how they make money. Gotta make money or the site goes phhhht!

Real journalism doesn't come cheap. All too often shoddy journalism doesn't either.

I've only had that problem with The New York Times and how you can view a certain number of articles for free per month or something like that.

Reuters mobile is now completely ruined and now has almost no news.Most other world news sites once they detect a US IP address just give you American news.If I want American news I read USA TODAY or CNN if I go the BBC i want European news.You can't get world news anymore

Reuters mobile is now completely ruined and now has almost no news.Most other world news sites once they detect a US IP address just give you American news.If I want American news I read USA TODAY or CNN if I go the BBC i want European news.You can't get world news anymore
Well, at least you can get around that using a VPN.

I don't have nor know or have what VPN is,I think that requires a desk top,all I have a small tablet/laptop hybrid
VPN is virtual private network. You don't need a desktop/laptop for it. There are VPNs for all devices that can connect to the internet, basically.

VPN is virtual private network. You don't need a desktop/laptop for it. There are VPNs for all devices that can connect to the internet, basically.
I dont have cable TV I watch netflix only,no no TV.My internet is on WIFI only,can you get VPN without a wire connection.

I dont have cable TV I watch netflix only,no no TV.My internet is on WIFI only,can you get VPN without a wire connection.
It doesn't matter if you have cable TV or not. VPNs are compatible with all types of internet connections, both wired and wireless (though you might have trouble if using dial-up).

Yes, yes you can. It works for both ethernet (wired) and wireless connections. You can even have VPNs on mobile devices.

Here is one of the most popular VPNs, which is not only available as a standalone application on all devices, but also as a browser extension: TunnelBear: Secure VPN Service

New Threads

Top Bottom