• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jobs for people with Autism/Aspergers Syndrome

Violette88

Hello, So I know we are all good at different things. But I hate when the psychiatrist assumes I would like to do accounting because I have Aspergers. I cannot stand mathematics or accounting or economics.
Have you ever experienced this? When someone assumes you cant do a particular job.
I have told several people that my course of choice for university next year is Bachelor of Special Education and Bachelor of Early Childhood Education with Bachelor of Letters. Then they think I would not be good at it, because they judge me on the Aspergers and not my actual personality.

What is your job?(if you have one) and what have you studied? What do you enjoy that people expect you not too?

I'm a research scientist, researching female autism. I have a BSc in medical science and am studying for an MRes in medical science. So ultimately research scientist.
But it's on the list of things that a perfect jobs for aspies! So that doesn't help.
But I was almost an actress. I love acting and am very good at it. Because aspies study every person and social situation they encounter, I found it made me a great actress. But that was before my diagnosis, so wasn't controversial as such. But I found the environment hard, the people were false and this hurt and I couldn't cope with that, so I moved back into academia. Because the structure and rules were comforting. I don't think it's what you study, it is the study itself that is good for us. If you love your subject then of course you should chase it no matter what other people think. We are amazing academics if we have a special interest in that area!

Then they think I would not be good at it, because they judge me on the Aspergers and not my actual personality.
This is one of the reasons I've decided to get involved in the neurodiversity movement. It's important that the narrative about ASD changes. I think it's counterproductive if the focus becomes about who we are as opposed to opportunity. I experienced this phenomenon myself in the US and Germany. In the States, after disclosure HR offered accommodations then long-term disability. In Germany, I'm considered 50% disabled just for being ASD. Before I disclosed, I was able to succeed because I was granted an opportunity to succeed.

I also cannot do anything with math, cannot even add numbers in my head unless its very basic ones. I bounced from job to job before my diagnosis. Usualy a bad meltdown would end the previous job or I would walk out/quit during a meltdown. With the help of my therapist who diagnosed me and vocational rehab(I live in the USA), I got a job fixing lawn and garden power equipment(lawn mowers, lawn tractors and similar). Working on and restoring old lawn mowers is one of my obsessions, probably my 2nd one just below my obsession with trains. My therapist said that finding a job that allows me to indulge one of my obsessions was very important as it would have the best chance of being a job that I could stick with for many years. Having a company that boths knows I am on the spectrum and supportive of me in the ways I need it, was a blessing as well. Even the company owner (we have like 7 locations but my store is the company headquarters) will stop by my repair bay and see if I am ok and if I need anything. I feel safe there and can use my abilities to help others. Mike

I've had a variety of jobs since I left school 24 years ago, some Office based admin work, a bit of Hospital Radio work and now I'm back in the retail trade, OK it's only Charity shops but work is work, and I serve customers, you'd think for an Aspie that a customer facing role would be the "job from hell", on the contrary I quite enjoy it.

Thing is though, even before I was diagnosed, the idiot advisers at the Job Centre wanted me to do Warehouse work in retail, so that I was "hidden away" from the customers, even though I'd just left College from an NVQ course in retail, learning how to serve customers.

Suffice to say I eventually told the Job Centre to sod off and I'd make my own efforts to gain work.

New Threads

Top Bottom