• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job Interview Help

donna_noble

I have been struggling to find a job for the past 4 years. I have some volunteer experience on my resume, but this job would be my first actual paying job. I would prefer to work part time, & I absolutely, definitely, DO NOT want to disclose my diagnoses to my employer.

I seem to really struggle with job interviews. Despite sending out at least one application every week, I tend to go months between job interviews. Then, when I finally do get the opportunity to plead my case, I get very nervous. I tend to be quiet & soft spoken overall, but when I’m nervous I get even more quiet than normal.

I guess I’m wondering what others on the spectrum do for work/to support themselves? Are there any creative ways I can use my ASD to stand out (in a good way) in job interviews? Is there anything I can do to sort of…make the interview experience not matter (like, if I have X they’d be interested in me no matter what I said/did)?

Hi, donna_noble.
I don't have anything earth-shattering, for you, but...
I have found, in interviews, where troublesome and problematic questions and scrutiny are a possibility, that if I am enthusiastic to the point of gushing about the job itself, and describe a few creative
approaches, or novel fixes that worked well for me and solved a problem, that a lot of their other concerns seem to fade in light of my enthusiasm for the job.
This does not mean that those questions don't get asked, just that they are not given the priority that they may have been.
To an employer,
enthusiasm=getting work done, well and fast.

Practice interviewing with someone who will be tough with you. Find someone who really cares for you and will work hard with you; someone who will be candid with you and offer solutions that you can work thru. Most companies interview to understand a few pieces of information. Can this person do the job? Was the resume to go to be true? Can this person fit on the team? You want the job because you are a fit and the job is something you can do. Not because you tricked the company to hire you thru the interview process. Once you start you you don’t want to end up being something other than who you were in the interview. Also and I know it’s rare but sometimes a company will provide you with specific feedback on why they didn’t hire you. This information could be priceless to you as you prep for the next interview. It is so hard and the process can be super discouraging. Do not let it get you down. Keep trying and working and learning about yourself. Best of luck. This is a really great post. Thank you for asking.

Write out scripts for answers to common questions, and then practise practise practise, preferably with people who can come up with interesting questions to catch you off guard and make you think on your feet. Also do lots of research on the company you're applying to, and the role.
Try thinking of interviews as a show you're putting on. Your natural inclination of how to act is irrelevant, because you're not being yourself, your playing the part of an enthusiastic confident person who is really excited about the job.

I seem to really struggle with job interviews. Despite sending out at least one application every week, I tend to go months between job interviews. Then, when I finally do get the opportunity to plead my case, I get very nervous. I tend to be quiet & soft spoken overall, but when I’m nervous I get even more quiet than normal.
You may find this site helpful. Rich Davis has helped me recognize my unique Aspie traits that have great value in fields which require attention to detail and persistence [SW engineering, technical writing, accounting etc]
www.linkedin.com/in/comfortcareerconnector/

I have been struggling to find a job for the past 4 years. I have some volunteer experience on my resume, but this job would be my first actual paying job. I would prefer to work part time, & I absolutely, definitely, DO NOT want to disclose my diagnoses to my employer.

I guess I’m wondering what others on the spectrum do for work/to support themselves? Are there any creative ways I can use my ASD to stand out (in a good way) in job interviews? Is there anything I can do to sort of…make the interview experience not matter (like, if I have X they’d be interested in me no matter what I said/did)?
Sorry to have to tell you: workplaces are social organizations, and as an aspie or other autistic you are at a disadvantage right from the start. Difficulty fitting in to the social structure will mean you are pushed aside, no matter how well you do your job. Socialize as well as you can, but don't try to be more social than you really are. Pretending to not be autistic will make you stand out even more. Your best bet is to find something necessary to the business that everyone else has trouble with, then excel at it. This makes you indispensable to the company.

I spent my career as an exploration geologist/geophysicist. This may be an ideal career for an aspie. My best job was with one company for almost 14 years. It got me away from people and out of the office, so I didn't have to worry too much about socializing; I just had to deal with my crew. What kept me there was an ability to deal with a constant barrage of problems without losing my mind (some say I was stark raving crackers to begin with) and keeping a project going under near impossible conditions ( I can tell some incredible stories). It all ended when I got burned out on a project (I spent 4 months living in a converted packing crate in the caldera of a live volcano on a remote island off New Guinea, using a crew I could not communicate with, which didn't matter because they were usually whacked out on betel nut by noon. Just to be clear, this is the good part. After this it starts getting pretty bad). After I got back, they decided they didn't need me anymore and "let met go."

New Threads

Top Bottom