• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job hunting as an Aspie

Thanks for your job hunting tips. Most are spot on as to what employers may want or not want to hear, and to what they would want to see. Also, I would add is it's a big turnoff to most employers to talk any negative about yourself, others, circumstances, or involving past employment experiences. Employers want positive persons, as there is less perceived risk for them and more chance for success.

As well, employers want to know what you like about their company, and why you chose them. I mean, they may have several applications, cover letters and/or resumes to sift through, so stand out, in a creative, positive and/or professional way, depending on the job you are applying for. Be as respectful and polite as can be, as soon as you greet, and all the way through to the end of those pre-employment meetings.

For those though who cannot play that part, or who do not wish to be anyone other than themselves, that is ok too, as some employers may see that as real, and still see some benefit in you working for them. But, it just means the opportunities to get jobs will likely be less being totally yourself, if that employer perceives less efforts or abilities to try to highlight the strong points and what they need to hear in your presentation.

Unfortunately, I was never able to play that interview game all those years. It's ironic though that I am now ready, but the circumstances make that impossible.

Last edited:
Job hunting for diagnosed aspies should be get a job counselor service it will save on the heartache and the having to act normal. Wish I would have done it sooner or known about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom