• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jeopardy Game Show: Should the rules be changed?

Magna

V.I.P Member
Current contestant Amy Schneider is up to 40 consecutive wins in a row I believe. My wife is a bigger Jeopardy fan that I am and she said it's really not something she enjoys watching currently and as a surprise to me isn't even watching tonight.

At one time Jeopardy contestant wins were capped at five. With that rule removed there have been a number of contestants who have dominated the game with weeks and even months of consecutive wins. The current host of the show, Ken Jennings had over 70 consecutive wins I believe.

I agree with my wife that it's not enjoyable to watch any contestant dominate to that degree. Then it becomes the Amy Schneider Show, the Ken Jennings Show, etc, the Matt Amodio show, etc.

What if the rules were modified to require that all contestants had to choose each answer in ascending order no matter what? No jumping right to the highest valued answers most of the time, establishing a quick and huge lead and then clinching an almost assured win early on.

I'll watch the show again when/if Amy Schneider loses. Then I'll tune out if another contestant dominates for weeks, months and tune in again when/if that person loses, etc.

They should probably revert back to capping the number of consecutive wins a contestant can have. They can then do run off games with the winners over the past season and make the questions more difficult for each level of the game. Otherwise it is boring.

It screws people who would beat a normal lineup out of at least $10,000+ because they got put on at the wrong time. Heck, in two months of games some of those people would probably have gotten two or three-day streaks. I get they want stars but that's real people's money and like Suzette said it would be so easy to change. A family member won Jeopardy way back so I'm a little biased.

I just looked up the longest streaks. 10 games (two weeks) seems like a good cutoff, since only a dozen people have ever gone over and it's short enough the "rising star" factor wouldn't wear off. Even a 5 game limit would've only stopped ~50 people's streaks.

What's interesting is almost all the 10+ game streaks happened since 2014. Wonder if they changed something about the game to make more stars, or if they do something to support possible stars when they appear.

EDIT: I didn't realize Amodio was literally three months ago, then the guy who beat him also won 10+ games. Jeopardy conspiracy, anyone? :)

EDIT 2: Schneider lost tonight lmao

Last edited:
A bit of ironic humor in our household today. We're kicking ourselves. The day we made a decision to tune out because it became the Amy show is the day she gets beat. I think the idea of capping wins at 10 is great. In my opinion, much like what you've said, capping wins at 10 is the best of all worlds (e.g. still gives contestants a worthy goal, still gives viewers the enjoyment of potentially watching someone continue to win for a decent period of time if they would win ten in a row and it keeps the focus on the show rather than a single contestant).

New Threads

Top Bottom