• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jeeezz I can't believe this guy, have you known someone like this?

Jorg

I just needed to take this out of my chest, idk if you have ever encountered someone like this in your work or in your study.

You see, for those who don't know me, I'm studying electronic engineering, I'm taking a course in Econimic engineering with other 5 courses. So , in this class the professor is giving us the oportunity to take the 2nd exam at home; great, you have access to your notes, books, etc. But, everyone in class must agree and sign a list.

Everyone in class agreed but one stuborn guy don't want to, he want's to take the test in class. He says he got a very low score in the last one (which was also sent to home) and he feels he can do better if he takes it on class.

Jeezzz I can't believe it, I may be a selfish sob sometimes, a very "make things by the rules" kind of person but if your professor gives you this kind of opportunity, you take it; we even have a chat group where we heelp each other if we have doubts or uestions about some topic and this guy don't want our help...

The guy, if he is who I think he is, is like 10 or 15 years older than us and says he works...dude with even more reason you should take this chance, working and having little time to study...is like an academic suicide to do that.

I could understand that but even if he could or anyone could/would like to cheat he can leave the group and make it alone on his own like he did in the first test that was sent to home also.

He said in class he has more opportunity to ask to the professor about stuff, but even if you can ask the professor things, she's not going to answer you with detail or to every question. I have been in several exams where someone asks something to professor and he says "I can't tell you about that, you must know it, I will only accept questions about the how the questions are written, not how to do things". And for that kind of questions the professor give us some time a week before the exam so we can ask her about what things she expect from us.

I have a hard time focusing at home. I actually think I would perform better on the test if I took it in class.

That said, if that's the case, he could sign for the rest of the class to take it at home, and ask to take it at school, himself.

The OP is assuming home is safe, secure and quiet. And for many of us this is exactly the case.

However it isn't for just anyone and everyone. Some homes can be less conducive for studying and test-taking. Noisy children, domestic quarrels, noisy neighbors, etc. etc..

I remember for years how my own brother would want to be anywhere but home. (Bad marriage)

Perhaps for the person in question a room full of students quietly taking the same test might be the least oppressive environment to him.

Anything's possible. With only a single dissenting vote, why not politely ask the instructor to make him a single exception in taking the test in class?

Last edited:
My original childhood home was right beside a stone mason, who carved monuments. So the sound of a high-pitched stone saw and scrape of chisels predominated. It was difficult to concentrate, along with many younger siblings, a parent who watched hockey and a record player and radio. During the day and evening it was difficult to read or study in the home. I took to the attic, and attempted to study there, or read or draw. In the winter it was not heated and I had to wear gloves and winter clothing. Home life was not conducive to earning A's in the classroom.

Not everyone Jorge, has the same advantages as others. They have far more to contend with than you might. Keep that in mind.

I do know someone like that - one of my sisters. When we were young there's a couple times we had my mom convinced it was a teacher work day and was going to get to stay home until my sister ruined it by saying, "No it's not." We tried to convince my mom that her teacher wasn't participating but that didn't work. This type of thing happened all the time.

The "all or nothing" approach is not necessarily right or fair. Each person has their preferred test taking scenarios. I don't know what this guy gains by taking the test in the classroom. Perhaps he fears that everyone else will do better than he will if given the chance to put time, effort, and all available resources into the test at home. He might be lazy and only wants to do the minimum. Take home tests are a chance to shine - he doesn't want to put out the effort, so he wants to rob everyone else of the opportunity, especially if the grading is based on a curve. Try to imagine what it must be like to work with him.

The "all or nothing" approach is not necessarily right or fair. Each person has their preferred test taking scenarios. I don't know what this guy gains by taking the test in the classroom. Perhaps he fears that everyone else will do better than he will if given the chance to put time, effort, and all available resources into the test at home. He might be lazy and only wants to do the minimum. Take home tests are a chance to shine - he doesn't want to put out the effort, so he wants to rob everyone else of the opportunity, especially if the grading is based on a curve. Try to imagine what it must be like to work with him.
My first thought was that if he did the test at home he wouldn't be able to look at someone else's answers. :)

The "all or nothing" approach is not necessarily right or fair.

Agreed. Yet it wouldn't be the first time I've witnessed educators stoop to such tactics.

I once had an nontenured fourth grade teacher who used to hold the entire class accountable whenever an individual student did something she didn't like. Nothing like going home having to spend hours mindlessly copying textbook assignments just because some other kid was disobedient.

Luckily one kid complained to their parents and their mother angrily reported this directly to the Superintendent of Schools. The practice stopped immediately with the teacher being personally reprimanded by the Superintendent. Maybe he was in a bad mood that day.

Thanks Mom. You rock. You too, Luca. ;)

Last edited:
I once had an nontenured fourth grade teacher who used to hold the entire class accountable whenever an individual student did something she didn't like.
Maybe she was a drill instructor before becoming a teacher...?

Last edited:
Maybe s/he was a drill instructor before becoming a teacher...?

Could be....but then Mom never addressed us as "maggots" either. :p

But I suspect she's made a few offers that administrative bureaucrats couldn't refuse. Another wife of an officer who knew her way around the system. ;)

Even when I was born in a civilian hospital, some admiral put the fear of God into those looking after my pregnant mother. That's a true story. :)

Last edited:
Even when I was born in a civilian hospital,...
How many hospitals were you born in...?
full

How many hospitals were you born in...?
full

LOL...odd question. Just one that I know of. At least it wasn't a Naval Dispensary...:eek:

How that admiral (my father's boss at the time) had sway over a civilian hospital is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
I could never take a test at home. I couldn't do homework as a kid either, but I tested fine at school. I'm way too easily distracted and usually very uninterested in the test material. Even studying for me was generally no more than the 15-20 mins before class, I just couldn't force myself.

What's really unfair is the teacher basically putting all the blame on this guy. He shouldn't have to defend his right to take a test in the classroom that he paid for with tuition. It's not even a question.

New Threads

Top Bottom