1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jason Manford: Cancelling offensive comedy is 'slippery slope'...

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by AGXStarseed, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

That's a major tenet of defining what separates America from a number of other nations. Not so much in our Bill of Rights as in Supreme Court landmark decisions. That "slippery slope" which continues to be eroded in our highest courts. Where establishing a hate crime must involve more than verbal epithets.

Effectively allowing us to make some of the most offensive cartoons in the name of political satire. Or what allows some of the most offensively perceived organizations to march down the streets of communities who vehemently oppose them.

That essentially our "Doctrine of Clear and Present Danger" is slowly evaporating, giving way to protected free speech and assembly with few limitations compared to earlier eras.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kalinychta

Kalinychta Well-Known Member

Good clip. And he’s right. The mainstream media has done such a thorough job of manipulating the public’s emotions (namely, rage) that opposing political parties have really become little more than tribes of zealots, so it’s no wonder we’re seeing blatant censorship happening now. It’s really freaky. I was just shaking my head earlier about what’s going on with the U.S. election. I seem to remember Democrats harping on for four years about Russia interfering with the 2016 election, but now...well, I think if it were revealed that the entire 2020 election was rigged, the majority of them would be completely okay with it. Same thing goes for the other way around. Conservatives scoffed at Russian interference but are now 1,000% convinced that this year’s election was rigged. It’s just crazy the way people are so willing to squash and silence people they disagree with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kalinychta

Kalinychta Well-Known Member

This speech from V for Vendetta may not be “directly” related to this thread, but it is, actually, in the sense that if censorship is allowed, this is where we are headed. So, I’m posting it:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

Part of the idea of free speech is to allow for the open exchange of ideas and thoughts, even if some find them offensive. There are certainly limits - for example depending on the context threatening others directly is not legal. We don't have anything in the Constitution that protects us from being offended by other people's speech. By allowing ideas and thoughts to be tossed around, people are generally free to debate and discuss w/out worry they are going to violate some law. It also allows for ideas and opinions to be attacked. So if we suddenly begin to limit what a person can say, it could also limit people's ability to stand up to ideas that they disagree. It could even limit people's ability to speak against ideas that they find offensive. So ultimately limiting free speech to prevent people from being offended could in fact hurt the very people that it aims to protect. Because what is or isn't offensive can change over time and is often a very personal matter. So what may be offensive to one person, may not be for the other and vice versa. So who gets the power to decide what is and isn't offensive?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Aspergers_Aspie

Aspergers_Aspie Well-Known Member

I wonder if Jason Manford would find Faith Brown's impersonation of Rusty Lee acceptable.
    (Kerry Shale plays a Taiwanese character on tv show Red Dwarf)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  6. lolcatal

lolcatal Well-Known Member

I personally think history should not be cancelled. We should not censor old books, comedy programs, statues, or whatever. But going forward, I do think media should not be offensive as it can shape people's thoughts and behaviors.

• Winner Winner x 1