• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Japan!

Thirty Eight

Not autistic anymore ^_^
I used to be very obsessed with Japanese culture when I was 8 years old up until 15 and 16 years old. Now I'm 17 years old and I'm getting back into it.

I used to dance and pretend to be Japanese and wish I were Japanese. I loved Japanese snacks that I used to buy off of Amazon. I wished I could have been more "Japanese" in America by buying lots and lots of Japanese stuff and cooking Japanese meals. I used to listen to Japanese music everyday and watch nothing but Japanese YouTube videos and read Japanese articles (as best as I could, with or without understanding). I used to try and study Japanese and I knew lots of lyrics to my favorite songs. I used to do karaoke in my head and not out loud because I didn't like my voice and I couldn't sing, so I would pretend to be the singer and fantasize about singing in front of my imaginary friends. I tried finding names to name myself that would suit me so I could be more "Japanese" in my identity. I would try to speak only Japanese and got scared that I would forget English (even though my Japanese was extremely limited and I couldn't have forgotten that quickly of course). I absolutely loved Japan and Japanese language and Japanese culture.

As I started getting older, my interests started changing and I slowly got of my "Japanese" world. I stopped studying and stopped trying to study Japanese because I didn't know how to study it anyway, and I never got anywhere in my studies, so I gave up. I started to force myself to not listen to my favorite Japanese songs but instead listen to American songs that my sisters and I used to love. I made myself not do a lot of things I used to and slowly drifted from Japanese stuff. I found out about Gorillaz, who I am obsessed with, so that is a good thing that came out of it.

Now, looking back in my childhood, I miss it more than I thought I would. So I'm going to relive it and start back studying and listening and writing and reading and speaking Japanese, relearn about Japan and the culture, and watch YouTube and dance and be happy again.

Does anyone know why it's so common for Americans to be obsessed with Japanese culture?

See, this all sounds like a good plan to me.

You like what you like... simple as that. Do it, enjoy it, and have fun.

And to heck with anyone that might try to stop you.

I would love to learn Japanese myself, but.... lethargy.... truly a dire condition.

Does anyone know why it's so common for Americans to be obsessed with Japanese culture?

As someone who fell into that rabbit hole years ago and never even tried to climb out, I can tell you...

...I have no bloody clue.

Though the fact that American culture bores my toenails off might be a factor. Naturally then, I look elsewhere.

Still, while I dont have many friends, every single one of them is pretty much the same when it comes to this whole thing. And you can tell, just walking into someone's room, when they're in the same boat. It's usually very, very obvious.

I would love to learn Japanese myself, but.... lethargy.... truly a dire condition.
Starting to learn is probably the most difficult part. Having goals of various lengths to look forwards to helps a lot after starting.

"日本人の友達を作りたいから、日本語を勉強しています" I want to study Japanese because I want to make Japanese friends.

Last edited:
"日本人の友達を作りたいから、日本語を勉強しています" I want to make friends with Japanese people, so I will study Japanese.
That is the main reason for why I started to learning Japanese at the start of this year.

Japan is a country I'm interested in. It seems like a beautiful and interesting place, and I like their art and culture such as their literature, movies, video games, a few anime series, etc. There are a bunch of other countries that I'm just as interested in though.

I used to be very obsessed with Japanese culture when I was 8 years old up until 15 and 16 years old. Now I'm 17 years old and I'm getting back into it.

I used to dance and pretend to be Japanese and wish I were Japanese. I loved Japanese snacks that I used to buy off of Amazon. I wished I could have been more "Japanese" in America by buying lots and lots of Japanese stuff and cooking Japanese meals. I used to listen to Japanese music everyday and watch nothing but Japanese YouTube videos and read Japanese articles (as best as I could, with or without understanding). I used to try and study Japanese and I knew lots of lyrics to my favorite songs. I used to do karaoke in my head and not out loud because I didn't like my voice and I couldn't sing, so I would pretend to be the singer and fantasize about singing in front of my imaginary friends. I tried finding names to name myself that would suit me so I could be more "Japanese" in my identity. I would try to speak only Japanese and got scared that I would forget English (even though my Japanese was extremely limited and I couldn't have forgotten that quickly of course). I absolutely loved Japan and Japanese language and Japanese culture.

As I started getting older, my interests started changing and I slowly got of my "Japanese" world. I stopped studying and stopped trying to study Japanese because I didn't know how to study it anyway, and I never got anywhere in my studies, so I gave up. I started to force myself to not listen to my favorite Japanese songs but instead listen to American songs that my sisters and I used to love. I made myself not do a lot of things I used to and slowly drifted from Japanese stuff. I found out about Gorillaz, who I am obsessed with, so that is a good thing that came out of it.

Now, looking back in my childhood, I miss it more than I thought I would. So I'm going to relive it and start back studying and listening and writing and reading and speaking Japanese, relearn about Japan and the culture, and watch YouTube and dance and be happy again.
I always wanted to go to Japan the Ninja
and it's history is awesome I write in Japanese as well as Chinese !

I live in Taiwan, one of the neighboring countries of Japan, and I love Japan as well. Their culture, food, architecture are all so amazing!

New Threads

Top Bottom