• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I've launched my first YouTube video!

Southern Discomfort

Smarter than the Average Bear
V.I.P Member
I've also launched my own Tumblr blog. I'm focusing Adult Onset of Tourette's Syndrome and covering comorbid conditions like Asperger's Syndrome, mental health and coping strategies.

The reason why I decided to adult onset, beside from my own personal experience, is that it's not an actual officially recognised thing. In the diagnostic criteria in the ICD and DSM there's an age limit of 18. I get the impression they think you magically can't get it past that age. I would like to change that.

I plan to roll out a good amount of content over the coming days and weeks.

Tourette's Syndrome: Ticcing Time Bomb

In the diagnostic criteria in the ICD and DSM there's an age limit of 18. I get the impression they think you magically can't get it past that age. I would like to change that.

Good point.

Well done. :cool:

One thing I do like about A&E's "The Employables" is their focus on real people with Tourettes Syndrome just as much as those with ASD.

Helps to understand. Knowledge is power.

Thanks Dillon - well done. I particularly like the slo-mo images that don't conflict with the voice-over. It's easy to watch and your voice is calm. Congratulations! I'm a big fan of Runes too.

I love that you included encouragement for others with tics to let them out when in public. I'm pretty good at suppression, but then as you know it makes it so much worse when I can tic freely. I will try to take your words on board :D

Only just found the time to watch it Dillon and I've got to tip my hat to you - it's really good. Simple and informative. I'll be subscribing shortly :)

And magnificent beard btw. Have a beard hug.

giphy.gif

Thank you! There's more to come in the future. I've created audio for the next one. I just need to shoot footage and edit the two together now.

I'm also editing together footage from Tourette's Camp I just came back from for the group. Some many pies so little fingers!

Great video, glad I took some time to watch it.

Got slightly distracted by the bird that flew into one ear and out the other at the end.

Tourettes was on my radar since I first read of wicky ticky Ray in the Oliver Sacks book - the man who mistook his wife for a hat, years ago.

As it had so many visible quirks the way it can be presented in the media. It's hard to realise how debilitating it can be.

In terms of masking it certainly has one thing in common with ASD. I can imagine it being much more draining - although I wouldn't know.

Great video, glad I took some time to watch it.

Got slightly distracted by the bird that flew into one ear and out the other at the end.

Tourettes was on my radar since I first read of wicky ticky Ray in the Oliver Sacks book - the man who mistook his wife for a hat, years ago.

As it had so many visible quirks the way it can be presented in the media. It's hard to realise how debilitating it can be.

In terms of masking it certainly has one thing in common with ASD. I can imagine it being much more draining - although I wouldn't know.

Ah that would have been the bee! Yep, lots of bees in the lavender field!

Yes, it can be very debilitating. People don't even take into account simple things like neck jerking can be very painful when you have a headache. Repeated motor tics over the years can also wear away at joints as well.

It's very draining suppressing the urge to tic, you're quite right. It's like trying to blow out a flame on a stick of TNT, it's going to explode eventually, you can't stop it indefinitely.

New Threads

Top Bottom