• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I've got one - food pickiness

Pats

V.I.P Member
I don't want my food to touch - no ketchup on my fries until I'm ready to dip and eat. And if the fries are salty I can't do the ketchup (hate salty ketchup). Don't want any other food near my mashed potatoes.
I like mayonnaise on hamburgers with lettuce and tomato, but without lettuce and tomato I want miracle whip. I can't have American cheese with mayonnaise or anything tomato based, but can put American cheese on a bologna sandwich with miracle whip and the miracle whip can be between the bread and bolgna and/or the bologna and cheese but not between the cheese and bread. Bolgna has to be on white bread, other lunch meats has to be on sub rolls or some other roll.
I have the same thing for breakfast every day and can have the same thing repeatedly for lunches. Dinner I'm a little more flexible, but I'd really be happy if it could be a hamburger or a hamburger steak every night.
So what are some of your weird food pickiness things?

I don't eat tomatoes at all unless they are in a homogeneous sauce from...can't stand chunky marinara sauce for example! Do not eat eggs unless in cake from. Do not eat fruit if it has seeds or is a citrus. When I eat raviolis I have to eat the crimp first before eating the ravioli. Those are a few off the top of my head.

Don't like foods touching either.
Never would eat the crust on bread and only like the soft inside of rolls or biscuits.
I have a weird habit of not eating the end of french fries where I hold them by.
Don't like to eat them with a fork. That just takes away from the whole experience.
Any food that they put little red things in like red bell peppers or small chunks of tomatoe,
out they go. Pick them out with my fork. Just don't like that red in my food.
Won't drink anything completely to the bottom of the glass or bottle. Might be something
not good lurking at the bottom in my mind. :confused:
Generally don't like crunchy foods. Although I can eat popcorn and tacos. Go figure.

I do have a few very strong food preferences or idiosyncracies, but generally don't mind food touching - as long at the flavours don't clash, of course, and they are familiar to me. Some things I really like to mix, like gravy with mashed potato. However, if foods are new to me, such as a sauce, I want to try them on their own first, before they get put on other foods or otherwise mixed. I once went to eat at some Swedish friends' house, and they had some strange sauces I had never had before. My partner was quite happy to put the sauce on the food without tasting it first, but my reaction was "No!!" I insisted that the sauce be put on the side of the plate, not touching the food, so I could try it on its own.

When I'm having toast, I'm really fussy about how brown and crunchy it is - it has to be exactly right, and not too soft. And I hate butter in sandwiches.

For me, food enjoyment is all about optimization - getting the optimal crunchiness, the best combination or flavours, trying to get it perfect and just right.

Last edited:
I don't like my food to touch, either. I always put wet foods like beans and most vegetables in small bowls rather than on my plate so the rest of the food won't get wet and always serve things like spaghetti and stews in large bowls rather than on a plate.

I rarely eat desserts or sugary things unless they are made from fresh fruit because I really don't have a "sweet tooth". I do like spicy foods and cook a lot of Mexican dishes.

One of my favorite breakfasts is a plain ham and cheese sandwich. Lately, I've gotten into making tuna melt sandwiches with rye bread and Muenster cheese melted on top in the broiler for lunch. Sandwiches are so much better if they are heated up. And I have always loved the flavor combination of sharp cheddar and dill pickles eaten together and hated the taste of sweet potatoes ever since I was a small child.

If I have to eat something like Kentucky Fried or Popeye's fried chicken, I always pull off all the greasy coating/breading and skin and eat only the meat. People tell me I'm weird about that. Soups must be heated up to boiling hot or I won't eat it.

I’m not a picky eater, but I do have a few pet peeves when it comes to food:
I really dislike sweaty cheese. If it’s supposed to be soft, I don’t mind, but if it’s supposed to be a slice I don’t want it drooping off of the side of my sandwich.
I also really dislike overcooked pasta, potatoes, vegetables and rice.

I always pull off all the greasy coating/breading and skin and eat only the meat.
I do this, too. I don't eat meat often, but when I do, it has to be totally lean and with no fat or gristle. I also love hot, spicy food, and like my food to be hot (temperature), even in summer. I also don't like the cold Frappe they drink here in summer, I always drink coffee hot, and have no problem whatsoever eating ice cream in winter - people here think, for some reason that you can't eat ice cream in winter. BS! Of course you can, just watch me! I don't have a sweet tooth and don't eat it very often, but that's a different matter.

I do this, too. I don't eat meat often, but when I do, it has to be totally lean and with no fat or gristle. I also love hot, spicy food, and like my food to be hot (temperature), even in summer. I also don't like the cold Frappe they drink here in summer, I always drink coffee hot, and have no problem whatsoever eating ice cream in winter - people here think, for some reason that you can't eat ice cream in winter. BS! Of course you can, just watch me! I don't have a sweet tooth and don't eat it very often, but that's a different matter.

Same for me about meat. Meat is just a side dish to accompany the rest of the meal.

If anyone saw my eating habits, you would think I am an alien. If I could partake of photosynthesis, I would.

Eating is complete agony for me and it shows so I NEVER----let me repeat NEVER----let anyone see my eat. Eating makes me 100% vulnerable and to me, eating in front of someone elicits the same horror and shame as if I were made to have sex in front of someone. In fact, that might be easier because I could block it out and know it would be over soon and I could heal. But eating? No. You get through the horror of it and try to recovery from it.......AND YOU HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN and again and again.

I blank out, I disassociate big time, I cry, I curse it, seriously, you don't want to see me eat AND if I am in hospital and have to? I will either refuse and only drink Ensure etc. or almost drink my food in a gulp to get it over with. In those situations, it's not uncommon for me to lose a good 10% of my body weight.

I have an extreme aversion to food and eating. This is the one that has almost killed me (nearly starved to death in youth) and probably WILL kill me (stomach is totally screwed).

And with that, I am going to stop this post because it's making me upset but wow, I hope there is maybe one other person who feels they are being raped when they have to eat.

If anyone saw my eating habits, you would think I am an alien. If I could partake of photosynthesis, I would.

Eating is complete agony for me and it shows so I NEVER----let me repeat NEVER----let anyone see my eat. Eating makes me 100% vulnerable and to me, eating in front of someone elicits the same horror and shame as if I were made to have sex in front of someone. In fact, that might be easier because I could block it out and know it would be over soon and I could heal. But eating? No. You get through the horror of it and try to recovery from it.......AND YOU HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN and again and again.

I blank out, I disassociate big time, I cry, I curse it, seriously, you don't want to see me eat AND if I am in hospital and have to? I will either refuse and only drink Ensure etc. or almost drink my food in a gulp to get it over with. In those situations, it's not uncommon for me to lose a good 10% of my body weight.

I have an extreme aversion to food and eating. This is the one that has almost killed me (nearly starved to death in youth) and probably WILL kill me (stomach is totally screwed).

And with that, I am going to stop this post because it's making me upset but wow, I hope there is maybe one other person who feels they are being raped when they have to eat.
I do know someone who is the same way, so you are not alone.

I forgot about this but I always save the best bite for last. Even my son, when he was little, picked up on that and sometimes he would ask if he could have my last bite. I'd say I'll save it for him and he'd say, no, he wanted it first. He knew I knew which bite was going to be my last. And I hate when someone tries to get me to eat something when I've already finished off with that last bite and persistent. I almost have to yell NO. No means no. :) And I've had people take my plate away with that last bite on it.

I forgot about this but I always save the best bite for last. Even my son, when he was little, picked up on that and sometimes he would ask if he could have my last bite. I'd say I'll save it for him and he'd say, no, he wanted it first. He knew I knew which bite was going to be my last. And I hate when someone tries to get me to eat something when I've already finished off with that last bite and persistent. I almost have to yell NO. No means no. :) And I've had people take my plate away with that last bite on it.
Did you give your son the last bite? :)

I will eat almost anything and I am not shy about trying new things. However, if I have a meal with more than one item, I will always eat all of one item before moving on to the next. Even if it is just a burger and fries, I will eat one and then the next. I do not know why I eat like this, I have eaten like this for as long as I can remember.

I have difficulty with certain textures -- they make me want to gag and I feel nauseous. Stringy things (e.g. celery strings, orange pith strings, banana strings), slimy things (e.g. pudding, custard), and mealy/grainy things (e.g. soft, dry apples) all do this -- as well as really inconsistent textures (like something creamy with bits in it). It was terrible when I was a kid, but I can tolerate them to a certain extent now.

I also save the best for last -- the food I like most, the best part of the food I like most.

I don't like certain foods to touch each other but it's not a big issue for me, usually.

I go on "food jags" where I only want to eat one thing and nothing else, but what I want changes periodically.

I hated overly crunchy food as a child -- too loud inside my head.

I don't like the taste of most meat and I can't handle all the stringy bits and gristle (to say nothing of imagining the creature the meat came from, alive and with feelings and thoughts....no judgement to the omnivores of the world, it's just a personal issue I have).

Last edited:

It's not nearly to the same degree, but I used to not be able to be seen eating. I'd starve all day through school and for dinner my family would eat sitting on the couch and I would sit on the stairs behind them.

Every day, I wake up and wash down some Ritz crackers with some Mountain Dew. Mid-afternoon, I eat two hamburgers. Not one. Not three. Two. If I can't finish both, that's what a dog is for.

And that's every. Single. Day. I could not be happier. Oh, but I do get some variety: I have to keep something sweet next to my bed while I sleep. Doesn't really matter what, but it prevents me from eating all my pills while sleepwalking. Mmmmm, chemical salts.

New Threads

Top Bottom