• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's official

spaceman

I hear radio waves. .. in my head
I want to Thank everyone on aspiescentral for all of your stories, confessions, laughs and tears.

I needed the support, I needed the community and I needed to be understood. But I was self diagnosed until today. Asd 1 and adhd.

I feel like I've left one principle for another. Sorry selfies... but I am sooooo relieved I must say. I feel actually pretty normal for a change.. kinda like when I was young and eager. Once again. Thank you all for your stories. Without you guys it would have been so much harder.

J

Thank you... my wish is to find who I could have been if I knew to embrace. Who knows... an inventor.. a writer.. both? :)
Don't worry about who you could have been; finding out who you can be can keep you busy (and yes, why not both? It's never too late).

I want to Thank everyone on aspiescentral for all of your stories, confessions, laughs and tears.

I needed the support, I needed the community and I needed to be understood. But I was self diagnosed until today. Asd 1 and adhd.

I feel like I've left one principle for another. Sorry selfies... but I am sooooo relieved I must say. I feel actually pretty normal for a change.. kinda like when I was young and eager. Once again. Thank you all for your stories. Without you guys it would have been so much harder.

J
yeah, that's how I felt.

I'm still 100% behind self dx'ers, but if you need to go official then you should do so. I needed it, and feel great about it.

Congrats - I looked for a card that said "Congratulations on your autism diagnosis", but their didn't seem to be one!

yeah, that's how I felt.

I'm still 100% behind self dx'ers, but if you need to go official then you should do so. I needed it, and feel great about it.

Congrats - I looked for a card that said "Congratulations on your autism diagnosis", but their didn't seem to be one!

That's hilarious! LOL & if you ever find that card, send it my way!

Congrats! And I know what you mean. I felt the same way. What's weird is that even after you are "officially diagnosed", there will still be many people who won't believe you! I'm serious - I have many friends who dismiss it, saying, "I believe it is what you believe," even after I show them my "official" test print-out. Weird, that...

Also, welcome to the ADHD Club! Honestly, it makes our diagnosis a bit harder cuz it's harder, I think, for us to be as productive as we would like, even on medication...but it also, in my opinion, keeps us very creative, albeit in the "Jack of All Trades" realm, even though we secretly wish we could hone-in on the ONE thing that would make us great, right? LOL --Also, socially, ADHD is an added hurdle, but I can honestly say, to "Know Thyself" is GRAND. :)

IMG_0268.PNG

Congrats to you! I am looking into getting diagnosed finally. However, I dont have insurance, and the psychologists I called want like $1500 or so for the whole process :eek:. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do? Also can you guys detail the process of getting diagnosed? Thanks in advanced!

Congrats to you! I am looking into getting diagnosed finally. However, I dont have insurance, and the psychologists I called want like $1500 or so for the whole process :eek:. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do? Also can you guys detail the process of getting diagnosed? Thanks in advanced!
The one connecting element is a lot of questions ,I'm from the north east of England and the way I was diagnosed is different from the rest of the UK ,it was three idifferent therapists diagnosing me at exactly the same time.
One therapist asked me questions for certain amount of time ,then another one did ,one took notes then after an hour they left to discuss what I'd said and came back and said we think you are autistic but I think I was so close to not being but it was just!!!!! Aspergers syndrome they actually said high functioning autism(they are agreeing with the DSM-V it's not actually used in the UK but they agree with it ).
From what I remember one of the members from America said he was diagnosed for free through the job program ,I think you must've gone to the employment department in the US about the time they had a job program and he was diagnosed for free through that ,don't know if it still exists .
Did some research on Google there appear to be a few universities in the US diagnose people with mental illness for free what appears to happen is a psychiatrist and some students who are either got to be doctors I want to be psychiatrist diagnosed people for free I can't remember if autism was diagnose for free but I think autism is lumped in with mental illness one of the clinics was in New York City but the article didn't give me the name of the University at all
Another fact is they wanted any written evidence from childhood about how I behaved as a child, I took school reports and I had a statement from a family member ,if you could bring family members with you who remember you as a child

Where do you live? I am in Idaho, U.S.A and I only paid $350. My insurance would not pay for it. Maybe you should shop around.

yeah, that's how I felt.

Awwww thank you. Nice thought. Yes I'm 100% behind dx also. That's why I said one principle. And not group or anything Cause that's the only difference that Paper from someone else. To say yep. U were right all along. Hopefully not everyone needs that . In my case I needed it. Thanks everyone x

yeah, that's how I felt.

I didn't appreciate this post enough first time round.

So funny... I actually would like one. :)

Thank you. Jamie

Congrats! And I know what you mean. I felt the same way. What's weird is that even after you are "officially diagnosed", there will still be many people who won't believe you! I'm serious - I have many friends who dismiss it, saying, "I believe it is what you believe," even after I show them my "official" test print-out. Weird, that...

Also, welcome to the ADHD Club! Honestly, it makes our diagnosis a bit harder cuz it's harder, I think, for us to be as productive as we would like, even on medication...but it also, in my opinion, keeps us very creative, albeit in the "Jack of All Trades" realm, even though we secretly wish we could hone-in on the ONE thing that would make us great, right? LOL --Also, socially, ADHD is an added hurdle, but I can honestly say, to "Know Thyself" is GRAND. :)
Ha Ha

Ha haha. Yup. That's me alright. Haha it's all good now. What can't be me won't be.

Always gratifying to see someone self-diagnosed go on to verify what they knew all along.

Some of us need such reassurance while others may not. But the point is that deep down, you just know who and what you are. After all, very few people here ever discover that just it's something else entirely.

I'm not saying it's an easy "journey", but more often than not at some point you know the destination. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom