• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's official: Me and my kids are diagnosed autistic

zozie

Just got back from that award-winning doctor, who actually saw both my older and younger kid, and me, and he and his team diagnosed us all.

The whole thing took four hours, including the ADOS-2, and we felt seen as people. They offered some great resources. So now it's official. I can get the schools on board. I can stop putting (so much) energy towards hoping my kids get seen. It's done.

We are all really tired from the whole thing, but also really happy. Here's to a bright future.

Just got back from that award-winning doctor, who actually saw both my older and younger kid, and me, and he and his team diagnosed us all.

The whole thing took four hours, including the ADOS-2, and we felt seen as people. They offered some great resources. So now it's official. I can get the schools on board. I can stop putting (so much) energy towards hoping my kids get seen. It's done.

We are all really tired from the whole thing, but also really happy. Here's to a bright future.
Allow me to offer GREAT and HEARTFELT CONRATS after what you endured! I know how that feels. They dragged me though hell, too. We accepted you no matter what, but it's extra nice you are where you want to be :)

I wonder if it is hereditary, although I am the only one on the spectrum in my family.
What a relief you must feel, to be acknowledged.
I spent most of my life feeling as if it made no sense.
The diagnosis helps make sense of it all.
Well, I am still undiagnosed ADHD but I am working on how to address the debilitating parts of ADHD as I don't believe it should be medicated.

Good deal, I hope that now you can get some of that assistance that you all need. I'm happy for you.

I wonder if it is hereditary, although I am the only one on the spectrum in my family.
What a relief you must feel, to be acknowledged.
I spent most of my life feeling as if it made no sense.
The diagnosis helps make sense of it all.
Well, I am still undiagnosed ADHD but I am working on how to address the debilitating parts of ADHD as I don't believe it should be medicated.

It is definitely hereditary, there's many scientific articles pertaining to it. It is also naturally occurring in people as well. But all in all, if you are on the spectrum you have something like a 4× greater chance of having children on the spectrum than if you are NT with an NT partner. Don't quote me on this, I'm running on my faulty memory here.

So glad for you, especially after that nuts report that previous person wrote, we just could do without that kind of silliness. Trying to have lives here! That's great for your young people too, nice and clear. Well done for pursuing it!

It is definitely hereditary, there's many scientific articles pertaining to it. It is also naturally occurring in people as well. But all in all, if you are on the spectrum you have something like a 4× greater chance of having children on the spectrum than if you are NT with an NT partner. Don't quote me on this, I'm running on my faulty memory here.
Why didn't my parents have it?

Why didn't my parents have it?
Because as I said, it is also naturally occurring as well as hereditary. Meaning it can happen to people who do not have a family history of autism. It is just far more likely that if you have a family history of autism for you to also have it. It is not necessary for your parents to be autistic for you to be autistic. It's kind of random that way.

There's more, actually. In my area, there's a sort of transition boarding school for young adults trying to become independent. It's not an ABA school, it helps with life skills and jobs. The doc who evaluated us is on the board, so I trust his judgment. My oldest, 17, really wants to go when they've graduated high school.

The program ranges from 12 months to 3 years, depending on the needs of the individual.

I would LOVE for them to go, since it takes so much pressure off of me to teach them things I'm still trying to learn myself, and there's even a tuition assistance program if you have like no income, like me.

That's something to look forward to. I am tired of being a single mom rearing these kids without much help. This is support I am very much looking to utilize. One way or another.

Congratulations, Zozie! I'm like you in that I'm autistic and have an autistic child. He benefitted a lot from having access to the "Resource Room" at his school which was a dimly lit quiet room where he could go to take tests, study and also talk to the teachers that staff that room about frustrations he would somtimes encounter during the day in regular school.

What a great mother you are. No matter what you face including financial set backs, you have really powered thru for your kids. It's another success story here at the forum. It's amazing how many of us truly do want to work and support ourself. ☺

your last sentence will be inscribed on my gravestone along with I hate touch screen tablets especially Amazon fire

Congratulations, Zozie! I'm like you in that I'm autistic and have an autistic child. He benefitted a lot from having access to the "Resource Room" at his school which was a dimly lit quiet room where he could go to take tests, study and also talk to the teachers that staff that room about frustrations he would somtimes encounter during the day in regular school.
So different from my primary (elementary )school where I would be punished for my difference,so glad it's there in your place

Congratulations, Zozie! I'm like you in that I'm autistic and have an autistic child. He benefitted a lot from having access to the "Resource Room" at his school which was a dimly lit quiet room where he could go to take tests, study and also talk to the teachers that staff that room about frustrations he would sometimes encounter during the day in regular school.

They have a room like that in my son's middle school, and my other kid's high school is trying to get one. It has low lighting, it's quiet, a lot of stim toys, etc. I suppose it's one great thing in a region that is chock full of ABA schools. I am definitely grateful for it when my son gets overwhelmed.

That is excellent news to receive. It is important people do this in order to have legal protection and access to benefits if needed. I am almost ready to find a psychologist. It will be a bit more challenging for myself than most as a 50+ aged undiagnosed Aspie, but if and when it happens, I'll share the story.

New Threads

Top Bottom