• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's like Ambient Music was made for Aspies.

Tony Ramirez

Single forever. Friends?
V.I.P Member
Really I love Ambient Music. I remember back in the day when I came from a stressful day of high school our local radio station WKCR 89.9 FM would play it for a couple hours. I would listen to it before listening to regular music. I was disappointed when it ended for the day and wished there was a station some magic radio that can play it 24/7.

My normal cousin bought one of the albums because there was one mainstream song on there of course he never bothered to listen to the rest of the CD but I enjoyed it when I had the change. Back then I did not have a CD player. But later on of course he threw it out.

Later after first getting online in 1997 I found that there were stations that played it 24/7. However I hated being bound to a computer.

Now today there is I can play it on my phone I got stations like SomaFM Drone Zone I can stream anytime. Also Apple Music has many Ambient Music tracks.

So what I am saying is I am not weird for liking Ambient Music?

Last edited:
Used to dislike it, as it seemed to be annoying like elevator music is, or the sickeningly sweet stuff when you're waiting on a phone line. It was as if they had taken the music I liked from the past and made it into something else, less powerful, more trivial.

Now I find it calming, especially at night when tired. Listen more to things like ocean wave sounds, rain, that seem to be peaceful.

I like to listen to sounds playing softly in the background. Otherwise I hear things like the refrigerator, the neighbors, my own ears making buzzing sounds.

I don't like ambient music. I find it boring, not sitmuating enough. For me, music is a kind of stim, I use it for stimulation rather than to relax, I like music in which there is plently going on and that's the reason why I like prog rock so much, I guess.

I find metal music more soothing than ambient music... I do listen to rock orientated ambient stuff sometimes, but can't listen to it for long..

I don't like ambient music. I find it boring, not sitmuating enough. For me, music is a kind of stim, I use it for stimulation rather than to relax, I like music in which there is plently going on and that's the reason why I like prog rock so much, I guess.
I can't listen it it all the time. I listen to mainstream music also really enjoy smooth jazz and of course the music of my youth.

However I find me putting on Ambient music if I see normal people socializing as it calms me down. Something I could not do at school back in the day. Now with smartphones if I was in school Ambient music would have been playing almost non-stop.

Noise, drone, black metal, post-rock, shoegaze, dream pop, I find all these genres soothing but lately I've been enjoying a lot of jazz such as Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Miles Davies, Wayne Shorter, Niechec.

Used to dislike it, as it seemed to be annoying like elevator music is
I love elevator music forgot I had WPAT 93.1FM "station now bacharelado spanish" to play it however like every other easy listening FM started it started to play regular AC music with vocals.

Really, other than mainstream pop (which I absolutely revile) I'll give any genre the time of day, there's so much variety in music that I find it silly to limit myself to just one or two genres. That's what I love about music, it's universal and there's so many ways for people to express themselves through it.

I love elevator music forgot I had WPAT 93.1FM "station now bacharelado spanish" to play it however like every other easy listening FM started it started to play regular AC music with vocals.

It seems that the songs I notice are popular pieces that were rearranged into pablum. That's more annoying than a lot of music that I usually block out. If it's a tune that I liked back then, it doesn't do anything for me, makes me sad to hear it changed.

Also after actually listening to many of my all time favorite songs lyrics my life most of them have heartbreak, rejection, breaking up, loneliness, anger. I guess that is why they are my favorites.

It seems that the songs I notice are popular pieces that were rearranged into pablum. That's more annoying than a lot of music that I usually block out. If it's a tune that I liked back then, it doesn't do anything for me, makes me sad to hear it changed.
I liked that espcially if I did not have to hear the sappy love lyrics. I also forgot I like Lounge music too and also Soma.FM has a lounge station I listen to quite often. Illinois Street Lounge from SomaFM
which is the closes thing I can find "they do play a lot of the songs that were on easy listening stations" except for listening to actually Muzak on YouTube.

I liked that espcially if I did not have to hear the sappy love lyrics.

Agree, ninety percent of the songs I heard growing up had 'love' in the lyrics repeated over and over. One of the reasons I don't care all that much for some of it now. It was brainwashing really. Making people think that love was the ultimate quest in life.

Also forgot I love video game music. When I would play games sometimes I would stop just to listen to the music. Too me the best video game music comes from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

It's a recent (in terms of centuries) phenomenon that vocal music is THE music.

I've met children, maybe even adults, I can't remember, that don't consider instrumental music music.

I got a degree in non-music.

Damn.

My bad. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom