• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's been a while but... New Autistamatic Video is up

Autistamatic

He's just this guy, you know?
V.I.P Member
Hello there my fine forum friends.

The latest Autistamatic video has just been uploaded, this time on the subject of neurodiversity from an autistic perspective. This is in the regular newsdesk format we're all familiar with.

As always, constructive criticism is welcome.

So much ground covered in just thirteen minutes! With so many critical distinctions mentioned. I especially liked the emphasis between medical and social models. And all with a positive spin. Emphasizing us as assets rather than liabilities. Once again your presentations reflect not only what needs to be said, but how to say it.

Well done, as always. :cool:

An EXCELLENT video, Quinn! I’m so delighted that you’re on youtube making these well written, well edited presentations! I agreed with everything you said and you said it so well. I’ve also shared this video on my facebook page. It’s been such a pleasant surprise to meet you and watch your channel, I didn’t find it when searching for other Autistic youtubers a couple months ago. The only other thing I would have liked you to include in this video is that a number of Autistic people have no interest in being “cured” even if there was some technology that promised that... But, you did imply it in some ways by saying that any attempts at cure probably couldn’t leave our identities in tact.

I loved your stress on the importance of both the social and medical models for addressing Autism and it’s common comorbid conditions. I agree, helping all Autistic people requires this nuanced approach! And meeting us half way so that we’re not doing ALL the work to make our social interactions go well is a wonderful perspective that I’m always trying to share with NTs and allistic people, so I’m grateful to share your video with others. I bet I’ll get a couple “I never thought about it that way”s.

Thanks @Judge
You're always so generous and positive in your comments. I really appreciate it :)

These reflect communicative skills I simply don't have. Though I'm delighted that you do, and clearly make the most of them in your presentations.

We need advocates like yourself to so effectively get the word out far beyond the boundaries of our online community to the Neurotypical world at large. It remains a "big deal" to me personally, and I suspect many others here as well.

Thanks @Kelsey4vril

I've not gone into the whole "cure" debate in any depth on video other than the mentions in this video. It's not something I've covered yet but it may well be a subject for the future.
I've been building a network of contacts with a view to doing collaborations over time. Some topics, like the "cure' issue I feel I would be better covering with someone who has real scientific authority on the subject. Similarly I don't feel comfortable covering anything to do with autism and parenting since I'm not a parent myself, but a collaboration with people who are would be OK.

That totally makes sense to me. Cure is a particularly complex topic to cover in a lot of ways, and it’s a great idea to collaborate with people because it requires a lot of perspectives. I’ve recently read the book “Brilliant Imperfection: Grappling with Cure” by Eli Clare and it’s a really remarkable book. I highly recommend it if you’re interested!

Oh, I also wanted to say that your incorporation of the photos of you and your family members in their different generations was such a brilliant visual detail to include!

Oh, I also wanted to say that your incorporation of the photos of you and your family members in their different generations was such a brilliant visual detail to include

Ummmm....
Actually, that was 4 photos of me with different filters on them... I don't have any family photos even if I wanted to use them.

Oh, my mistake! I do remember thinking that genes for physical appearance must be very strong in your family. :rolleyes: Still, a good effect that accomplished its task.

I liked it very much. Almost cried when you talked about stores changing their lights and music! I’m going yeah! Yeah!

Oh, my mistake! I do remember thinking that genes for physical appearance must be very strong in your family. :rolleyes: Still, a good effect that accomplished its task.

Obviously the genes for choice of beard style are pretty strong too!
TBH I just though it would be a giggle. I don't take myself too seriously. I often like to pop the odd joke into my videos here and there, but I felt the subject matter a bit too sensitive for my usual silliness. The "forebears" were my concession to my inner mischievous child :)

Hello there my fine forum friends.

The latest Autistamatic video has just been uploaded, this time on the subject of neurodiversity from an autistic perspective. This is in the regular newsdesk format we're all familiar with.

As always, constructive criticism is welcome.

Hi. Great video. Production is truly professional and your narration is well done.
I am new here and ready to learn.
I am looking forward to watching them all.
Catherine

such a fantastic video. Thank you !
I envy people who can do such media wizardry...

I think it is a good idea to collaborate with people who have a particular expertise in in a particular area.

In no ay have I researched the topics of cure and genetics, but one key consideration for me is that ASC is a developmental condition based on genetically programmed difference in the way information is perceived and processed. As Autistamatic's video illustrates, autism is a different internal machinery in the brain, I like to think of it as a different algorithm.

For me that difference in the internal mechanism of perception and processing leads to different perspective, different prioritisation, different preferences in dealing with information and making decisions, which is the essence of autistic strengths. We know of hyperfocus, observation, attention to detail, but also perhaps the ability to be excited and persist with obscure and uppopular topics that others could perceive as uncool, the tendency not to suppress our ideas through the filter of popularity, of how the ideas will be received by others, potentially leading to disruptive innovations. Autistic people always were around, integral part of the civilisation, contributing to science, technology, culture and society in their various but distinct ways. The suggestions that Darwin, Newton, Mozart, Da Vinci were neurodiverse are just speculations, but it is inevitable that autistic people left their imprint throughout the millennia on our culture and industry and continue to do so. For this reason speaking about Neurodiversity is also acknowledging this important contribution autistic people make to human civilisation. The neurological difference is integral and essential part of human genetic diversity that enables humanity to explore, adapt, and innovate. Just like preserving the biodiversity is important in maintaining the sustainability of life on earth, neurodiversity is essential for humanity's ability to thrive and adapt to new conditions.

Genetically cleansing ASC from humanity through various genetic tests or 'cures' would not only dehumanise autistic people alive, it will also be a dangerous blow to human intellectual diversity and ability to innovate in the future.

I always enjoy your videos and I find your voice and presentation style easy to listen to. I have difficulty with the intro music/sounds and images but I just mute it and wait until I see you appear on the screen to turn up sound. I've shared this video on my Facebook page where I've got one foot out of the autism closet.

Just watched the video and really impressed with the content, your delivery of it and the beard! ;)

I shall endeavour to watch more when i get the opportunity.

I'd like to ask how you found the whole process of 'putting yourself out there' so to speak in terms of becoming identifiable? I know making a youtube video is hardly the limelight but you are putting yourself out there into the public domain.

I have long pondered the pros and cons of making youtube videos about my autism and just daily situations like going to a football match or shopping and making it comical but with a serious message. and whilst at the same time making people laugh. The issue with this is that although i'm probably confident enough to do this, i do not wish to be identified or recognized which is kind of a problem when you are filming yourself for a youtube video.

For example if i did a regular football blog which i have some fantastic ideas about then at some point i'm certain some random fans at a game are going to recognize me and thus i've drawn attention to myself and may find myself having to speak to these people or even receive abuse.

In addition, i have passed for NT through masking all my life and only about 5 people who i know are aware i've got autism. All the others just think i'm like your usual NT so it would be a shock to some people if they stumbled across me on youtube talking about my battles with it.

I guess revealing what you look like to the world essentially is why i'd never want to become famous in a million years. Famous and anonymous yes but famous and identifiable no. A quiet life and all that.

Do you see what i'm getting at autistamatic? How did you find the confidence to do this?

Do you have any advice? It would be much appreciated.

It's difficult to answer your question at this point @Skids because at the moment my channel is pretty small and most of the viewers so far are autistic themselves. I haven't told people I work with about the channel as yet either. Nobody has yet stopped me in the street and said "You're the autism bloke" ;)
It was, without doubt, a leap into the dark for me, but I made the decision to be open about my autism after some difficult experiences in early 2018. I had masked all my life and kept my diagnosis very close to my chest. When it actually became an issue I was exposed to the ignorance and prejudice I had hidden from all my life. It made me determined to do something about it. It wasn't so much a question of confidence as a need to fight back.
I chose to put my face on the channel for accessibility. People listen to a face more than a disembodied narrator, especially NT viewers, so it's a calculated decision.
I don't intend to mask again. It was too much of a strain on me. I feel so much better about myself without keeping up the pretence. The odd thing is that me being happier seems to have made me more approachable, which was an unexpected side-effect.
If you want to make videos but don't want to be identified, you could narrate. You can even alter your recorded voice if you wanted to make it even less likely you'd be recognised.
I like to make people laugh too and I usually include the odd joke in my videos but taking a more humorous approach would make you stand out from the crowd if you give it a go.
Most of my videos are done to-camera in the newsdesk style you've seen, but I also do occasional narrative videos like the one below. If you want to have a go and want some pointers on how to get started then PM me and I'll do what I can to help. I use mainly Open Source software on a Windows PC and my camera etc. is very modest. It doesn't have to cost much - or even a penny if you have a decent phone.

Thanks for your reply autistamatic. I admire your strength and bravery in accepting who you are and not caring about what others think. I think i'm on the cusp of that myself. Masking has made me ill and i'm 42 now so i don't really have to care what anyone thinks therefore i may just take the plunge and be proud of who i am.

Not necessarily proud of being autistic as autism has taken more from me than given in life but more proud to be me and who i am regardless of what hand i've been dealt.

Thanks for the kind offer of help and advice going forward. I'll keep that in mind so thanks.

New Threads

Top Bottom