• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It just made sense

Irizarry79

Hello my name is Kristi and I am self-diagnosed as of very recently and hope to get professionally if possible. I have been diagnosed with OCD in the past and work in mental health field but never thought was on the spectrum until read article and everything fit. One of my coworkers does trainings on Autism and has family member with Austin and when I asked her some questions it was clear she thought for myself. So I researched liked crazy, took self tests which showed very strong likelihood and everything from my past to my present made sense.
I always had trouble with friends and being awkward that is when I wanted to have friends. My parents were upset because most of the time wanted to be alone in my room in my own head and fought them about going over friends. I have always been obsessive with my interests and upset over any change in routine. Except for those very close to me hate to be touched or have people very close or behind me, can go on and on...
Amazed about how many shared experiences I have read. My interests are mental health, philosophy and history. I love animals, currently have 4 dogs. I love fantasy and comic based movies and collect statues and figurines. Hope to find out more information and meet new people.

Welcome aboard. You’ll find here a lot of people in a similar frame of mind as you.

I especially share in the awkwardness with friends department, and making friends in general.

Cheers.

Hello @Irizarry79,

Welcome to the forum.

From your short intro, you do seem like you have a high probability of being on the spectrum, and I am sure you will find that many here that have a lot in common with you, including myself. I was not officially diagnosed until I was around your age and I had no diagnosis of note or any inkling whatsoever until I was around your age. I was diagnosed then with Asperger's Syndrome. I have learned a lot and modified the way the world affects me, but I will always be ASD1.

Anyway, I am sure you will find support and camaraderie here if you wish to hang around and interreact. There is no pressure to do so and you can make as much or as little use of the site as you wish. This is a safe place and you will not ever be judged.

Hope to see more of you in future.:)

Hi and welcome, yes you certainly sounds like you have many of the traits, so I hope you will find it helpful to be here and feel understood here. I have found it useful to understand that there are some areas where I can develop strategies to cope, but where due to neurological differences I am not able to function in the same way as a neurotypical person.

Understanding that can be helpful I think, as typical solutions which we may try and fail at can cause lower self esteem and dissapointment. We sometimes need strategies and ways around things, I find that especially in relation to some social interaction, communication and processing issues.

It's good that you are here, I hope that you find it useful and supportive.

:bee::cherryblossom::beetle::herb::bug::blossom::sunflower::seedling:

Welcome! Is there any particular type of history you like? I like social/societal history - how people lived in a certain time and place.

welcome to af.png

Welcome! I self diagnosed in my mid 40's, formally diagnosed almost two years ago

I consider myself to be an amateur historian, mostly local history of my home region and automotive...

Welcome! Is there any particular type of history you like? I like social/societal history - how people lived in a certain time and place.

I like social history too! When I was younger was into World War 2 and history from that point on, but find many documentaries interesting about past civilizations and time periods. I love to find patterns in how people behaved in past and modern history. I work with kids and sometimes it helps to show parallels of the past to the present so they understand importance of learning the past and may help to reduce anxiety of present if realize that similar events were overcome in our history. However I do ramble sometimes so not sure if helping or boring them, lol

Welcome! I self diagnosed in my mid 40's, formally diagnosed almost two years ago

I consider myself to be an amateur historian, mostly local history of my home region and automotive...

That is awesome, live near York, Pennsylvania and every June they have car show and you see all the antique cars. It is very cool!

Hi and welcome, yes you certainly sounds like you have many of the traits, so I hope you will find it helpful to be here and feel understood here. I have found it useful to understand that there are some areas where I can develop strategies to cope, but where due to neurological differences I am not able to function in the same way as a neurotypical person.

Understanding that can be helpful I think, as typical solutions which we may try and fail at can cause lower self esteem and dissapointment. We sometimes need strategies and ways around things, I find that especially in relation to some social interaction, communication and processing issues.

That is awesome, live near York, Pennsylvania and every June they have car show and you see all the antique cars. It is

I hope to find support here as well. I struggle with what and when to say things especially when excited or nervous. I overthink everything and it is exhausting at times. I hope to learn things from others and find support too. Thank you for Welcome!

We sometimes need strategies and ways around things, I find that especially in relation to some social interaction, communication and processing issues.
So true. I was so socially immature that the isolation and loneliness became unbearable. So, at 25 started rebuilding myself to learn social convention and body language. My strategy at coping, and 3 years later met my spouse and by that time I was comfortable with progressing to an intimate relationship. If anybody would have told me at 25 that such would happen, I'd tell them they are crazy.

Hello @Irizarry79,

Welcome to the forum.

From your short intro, you do seem like you have a high probability of being on the spectrum, and I am sure you will find that many here that have a lot in common with you, including myself. I was not officially diagnosed until I was around your age and I had no diagnosis of note or any inkling whatsoever until I was around your age. I was diagnosed then with Asperger's Syndrome. I have learned a lot and modified the way the world affects me, but I will always be ASD1.

Anyway, I am sure you will find support and camaraderie here if you wish to hang around and interreact. There is no pressure to do so and you can make as much or as little use of the site as you wish. This is a safe place and you will not ever be judged.

So true. I was so socially immature that the isolation and loneliness became unbearable. So, at 25 started rebuilding myself to learn social convention and body language. My strategy at coping, and 3 years later met my spouse and by that time I was comfortable with progressing to an intimate relationship. If anybody would have told me at 25 that such would happen, I'd tell them they are crazy.
Hello @Irizarry79,

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you so much, glad to be member and meet others who understand, felt misunderstood so many times in my life and finally seeing my past in different light and why other diagnosis had never quite fit in my situation. Thank you for wonderful welcome!

So glad you are found relationship and learned new skills. I think despite the struggles their are things we bring to relationships, we can be more understanding to others emotions because our emotions and responses often misunderstood. Also a lot of loyalty for those we are close too.
It is amazing accomplishment to learn body language and social skills! I am so happy for you!

Thank you @Irizarry79 . I was not diagnosed at the time, and with my intelligence people thought me normal. But I had to accomplish that for my sanity. My social isolation was traumatic for me (because I had the same social desires as others) and now I'm working to resolve the PTSD from that.

New Threads

Top Bottom