• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Issues with Hiring Initiatives

Eli Galaxy

This is a long read, but it brings up point after point of why most companies fail when it comes to hiring autistic people, even if they say they are “inclusive”. From hiring managers taught outdated incorrect info, to lack of accessibility, to only picking the “right” autistic people in the name of public relations, to coaches claiming to help them get a job and failing miserably, these are all things that I wish employers would consider. These are the things blocking so many of us from gaining our dream jobs, and more commonly any job at all.

Do you know how long it took me to find Daivergent? The first place that hired me for and actually embraced my neurodivergence. Other places really need to step up.

What would you add to this?

Neurodiversity Hiring Initiatives: Are They Failing Autistics? | The Aspergian | A Neurodivergent Collective

Yep. The only job i could get with a coach was McDonald's. That ended eight months later. To much instability on their part.

If the autistic person is really good at scientific research (usually the topic is about their own special interest), I think he/she can get a good job as a research scientist.

But sadly, there's not much research job in the world, since funding is also limited. But if you're really good & your supervisors have connection, somebody might scout you for their lab. Preferably at good research institute. My husband worked as a part-time research assistant at a research institute. The team leader liked his work and offer him a research scientist job.

And the counsellor there said that probably there are many autistic and/or people with other mental health problems working as researchers there.

But it is limited geographically too. Not all regions have a research institute, and not all researchers/team leaders do the same field research/special interest as you. It's sad to see the posts about how PhD graduates couldn't get job..

I went after a program as well this year that would require my having a job coach. Couldn't get it because I am high functioning. My Autism is still there no matter what. It's like I was being punised for being to high functioning.

New Threads

Top Bottom