• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is your company autism friendly?

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Emily-Swaitek.jpg

The Defence Academy of the United Kingdom hosted a day on Neuro-Diversity. The focus of the day was around how to get some people with autism into cyber security. Certain types of autism are particularly suited to some types of cybersecurity roles. The day provided them with different challenges and opportunities to test themselves. It also gave prospective employers a look at what neuro-diversity means.

To many people, diversity means race, gender, skin colour or physical disability. This ignores a growing number of people who are diagnosed with autism. Autism is defined by the National Autism Society as: “a lifelong, developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with and relates to other people, and how they experience the world around them.”

When you do mention autism to employers they are often unsure as to what it means in the workplace. What information they do have often comes from sources that seek to sensationalise some types of autism. This leaves them concerned that they would be unable to cope with an autistic person in their workplace. When they think about disability their focus is on how to adapt their workplace for disabled employees. Lifts, ramps, bathrooms and desks for people in wheelchairs or making the office safer and dog friendly for those who are partially or fully blind.

Mental disabilities such as autism are hard to see, identify and therefore cause employers difficulty in managing. The NAS is running a campaign called “Too Much Information.” Using a virtual reality headset and earphones, it gives the user an opportunity to understand how it feels to have your senses overloaded. This is what happens to many people with autism. The NAS also provides advice on how to provide safe spaces and what to do when an employee is struggling.

During the event Enterprise Times talked to Emily Swiatek who works for the NAS about the challenges of autism and what employers need to understand. Emily gave us a great view into how we have to change the way we talk and engage with people with autism. She explained how often job descriptions and the interview process do not work for those with autism and how, with just a little effort, they can be improved.

Listen to what Emily told us and think about what your business could do in order to help its autistic employees.

Source: Is your company autism friendly? - Enterprise Times

i dont like the way they were trying to say aspergers without saying it,ie 'certain types of autism are particularly suited to some types of cyber security roles' that really annoys me as its ignorant of classic autism as usual.
there will be lots of people with high functioning classic autism into tech stuff who could potentially be into white hat hacking which i assume is the same as cyber security, and there are also some of us with LFA,im referring to myself more so-who are or at least in my case-were hackers into cyber security [i was grey hat].
i couldnt work,but potentially they could be telling companies to avoid people like me when its possible a small few LFAs and many more HFAs [classic] could be a great worker for them.

(Not written by me)

The Defence Academy of the United Kingdom hosted a day on Neuro-Diversity. The focus of the day was around how to get some people with autism into cyber security. Certain types of autism are particularly suited to some types of cybersecurity roles. The day provided them with different challenges and opportunities to test themselves. It also gave prospective employers a look at what neuro-diversity means.

This event (on 3 July) may be of interest: Access to Cyber Security Day
It's hosted by IBM at their Client Centre in London - which, incidentally, is not their UK HQ (that's in Portsmouth).

A day of workshops and networking focused on ensuring careers in cyber security are made accessible to everyone. The workshops will educate and offer constructive advice and guidance for both employees and employers.

The workshops:
Exploring the gender gap in cyber security – has anything made a difference yet?
Combatting stress and burnout in cyber security .. from surviving to thriving
How to tap into the neurodiverse workforce to plug the skills gap
Physical disability: addressing the accessibility challenges faced in a technical security career

Book on Eventbrite

I think my employer is more along the lines of they say they are friendly, but aren't when it really matters that they are. You're expected to take responsibility for other staff rejecting you for not fitting in their defined office culture, which isn't fair.

New Threads

Top Bottom