• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this sufficient proof to say that I am stupid?

Oddcampr8292

I have no history of drugs, drinking or smoking. I bought a MRE off EBAY. key word EBAY. I did this without realizing how stupid it is. Does this alone confirm I am stupid?

Is this sufficient proof to say that I am stupid?
full
(Was it a HTF entrée...?
full
)

It is more indicative that you are impulsive.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
"What kind of fool do you take me for...!?"
"I don't know. How many different kinds are there?"
full

Last edited:
What's wrong with a MRE? Some people enjoy going hiking and camping with them. They've also come a long way from the Vietnam era stuff.

It would be helpful if you took the trouble to write it out in full, not an acronym. Not everyone knows what an MRE is. And yes, I can Google it, and @Fino explained it, but it also only takes you a couple of seconds to write it.

But why would that make you stupid??

What it is, is a lesson learned.

How many times you have to repeat an action; such as buying certain goods from ebay,
in order to learn that lesson, ie, Not to,
is on you.

Learning isn't what the stupid do in their spare time.

It's learning by mistakes. 'Old-School' type learning.
No hazzard signs, no health and safety warnings, no politically correct committees to carry out risk assessment.

You take your chances. You learn by your mistakes.

What it is, is a lesson learned.

How many times you have to repeat an action; such as buying certain goods from ebay,
in order to learn that lesson, ie, Not to,
is on you.

Learning isn't what the stupid do in their spare time.

It's learning by mistakes. 'Old-School' type learning.
No hazzard signs, no health and safety warnings, no politically correct committees to carry out risk assessment.

You take your chances. You learn by your mistakes.
True..thanks

It would be helpful if you took the trouble to write it out in full, not an acronym. Not everyone knows what an MRE is. And yes, I can Google it, and @Fino explained it, but it also only takes you a couple of seconds to write it.

But why would that make you stupid??
Because there's no telling if an MRE on eBay is really valid or not or expired or not until you get it. Plus there's no returning the item to the seller sometimes on ebay.

I wouldn't be too quick to equate risk with stupidity. To me, such circumstances reflect a calculated risk.

That you are hoping that in general, most people selling goods on EBay are on the "up-and-up", not intending to defraud anyone. That more often than not it's true, otherwise EBay would simply not have lasted as long as it has.

That's the good news. The bad news is the obvious. The goods in question have a spoilage factor, apart from whether or not under optimal circumstances that they taste reasonably well.

In any case the OP is not being stupid, but rather they are taking a risk- a leap of faith in the person marketing MREs. I spent a decade buying and selling stocks. A whole lot of risk involving my own capital. I've had some bad investments, and some very good ones. Crazy maybe...but not stupid, having come out ahead. ;)

Is EBay fundamentally "stupid"? No. That said though, Caveat Emptor. -Buyer beware.

Because there's no telling if an MRE on eBay is really valid or not or expired or not until you get it. Plus there's no returning the item to the seller sometimes on ebay.
On Ebay, if you pay with PayPal and the item you bought was not as advertised in its description, you can ask for your money to be returned. If the seller fails to do so or doesn't respond, then you can open a dispute.

It's important to check out the seller before you order - check out their profile and feedback. Below about 99% best not to risk it.

No, you're not stupid.

The MRE should be fine unless it was "used" when you bought it. On the rare occasions I buy something on eBay I always read the description of the product carefully to be sure that it is new or original, and not used.

You can make emergency meal kits for yourself that will last a long time, not 25 years, but several years at least. Dried beans and rice last a very long time if stored at a proper temperature. Include some dehydrated vegetables and fruits, salt and other dried seasonings. At least you will have the security of knowing you will have food if something apocalyptic happens.

If you are going to store food, Mary Terry has it right--store staples.

Either that, or store Milk of Magnesia so you can deal with what an MRE diet will do to you.

20 years ago, I bought an out-of-print Criterion Collection DVD off eBay for $200. It arrived, scratched to hell and unable to be played. I felt stupid about that for a short while, until I realized I could get $125 back by going through a process due to the seller misrepresenting the item on the auction. The seller later backpedaled and claimed that since the extras on the DVD were able to be played, I should have been content with the purchase. eBay did not agree with that philosophy.

No, you are not stupid. If things worked the way that they should, everything would be great.

I bought it for an apocalypse situation and the MRE label claims it lasts 25 years.
If it is a real MRE, it will last almost forever. In the 80s, my unit occasionally dined on food from the Korean War. Expiration dates are meaningless for that stuff.

But you need more than just one and you need to compare prices. I'm still not sure why this makes you stupid. I have MREs in my earthquake supplies. Everyone should have 2 weeks worth of food on hand that doesn't need to be cooked or refrigerated.

New Threads

Top Bottom