• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this ASD or OCD?

Tony Ramirez

Single forever. Friend's
V.I.P Member
Lately through my Apple Music subscription I have been searching for albums since watching Toy Story and checking the album. My obsession is too check if the album is complete no grayed out tracks. Since searching for soundtracks most are complete but some are missing songs most of the time available in other albums which makes me listen to those albums more obsessing with listening to even more music. Since worrying that "insert movie title here" is missing any songs I search the album to find if anything is missing.

I want to know is this an ASD trait or more OCD especially being addicted to music.

ASD perseverations are project-oriented. They subside upon completion/closure.
OCD tends to be ritualistic and is not satisfied by completion/closure.

Are you going over the same ground repeatedly, or over new ground? Do you respond to feedback?

(I am not a psych professional, but my ASD2 son has OCD as a co-morbid condition.)

Last edited:
ASD does not preclude us from any other condition physical or mental. We are human, not a separate species, so we are vulnerable to everything other humans are susceptible to.
It sounds like OCD to me (as opposed to an autistic focused interest) but as always, it takes a qualified psych evaluation to determine that for certain.

I thought people with ASD could not have OCD.

Then I'm a walking contradiction! ;)

Or not:

"One of the most common categories of disorders to appear along with OCD is Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). ASD describes a category of pervasive developmental disorders listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) that include Autistic Disorder and Asperger’s Disorder. The aim of this article is to give patients, families, and professionals information about the specific challenges and successfully treat for OCD in patients who have comorbid diagnosis of ASD."

International OCD Foundation | Treatments for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder comorbid with Autism Spectrum Disorder

Take the Yale-Brown OCD Scale test:

https://www.addictionsandrecovery.o...-disorder-test-yale-brown-ocd-scale-ybocs.pdf

As for being "addicted" to music, I suppose that might apply to most musicians, with or without OCD or ASD. Look at Ludwig van Beethoven. Even eventually becoming profoundly deaf didn't deter him from becoming one of the greatest composers of all time. How's that for being "obsessed" ? :cool:

Last edited:
I thought people with ASD could not have OCD.

Nope, I have both.

Do you have both obsessions and compulsions? If it's just obsessively checking albums for no reason other than to know the albums are complete, then I'd say not OCD. Compulsions are the things we do (in your case, checking albums) to rid our minds of the obsessions. So in my case for example, I have recurring thoughts about my husband dying. To mitigate these thoughts and the possibility of that happening, I will have to make sure that all the towels in the house are lined up perfectly and I will continue to adjust them until it is/feels "right". If I don't complete the compulsion, my mind tells me that the obsession will happen and it will be my fault. This of course, make zero sense and my lining up of towels cannot possibly mitigate a death and I realise how absurd it is. Yet, I will get some respite from he thoughts for a period of time after carrying out the compulsion, but sadly they always come back eventually.

As I said it started with Toy Story obsession to see if those Randy Newman tracks would be unavailable which they are not by the way all Toy Story albums are complete.

I just think it is a obsession fad I am going through last month I was watching many YouTube videos of pretty girls I know now I don't watch as much.

As I said it started with Toy Story obsession to see if those Randy Newman tracks would be unavailable which they are not by the way all Toy Story albums are complete.

I just think it is a obsession fad I am going through last month I was watching many YouTube videos of pretty girls I know now I don't watch as much.

Sounds similar to me. I'll get engrossed in something and then move onto the next thing and drop the last one like a stone. At the moment it's watching Let's Plays on YouTube.

My OCD helped me to I edit and enhance close to 2000 songs in my MP3 collection. Even added one minute leaders and two minute footers to each song as well. Took quite awhile to do...but for me it was well worth it.

Am I obsessed about such things? Of course not! :oops: :p

My OCD helped me to I edit and enhance close to 2000 songs in my MP3 collection. Even added one minute leaders and two minute footers to each song as well. Took quite awhile to do...but for me it was well worth it.

That's pretty neat. l guess l have 934 songs left to go then for my MP3. lol

This is also a perfect example of what would be referred to as a 'special interest'/'obsession', unrelated to obsessive compulsions, I believe.

I, too, have both, ASD and OCD diagnosis.

Last edited:
This is also a perfect example of what would be referred to as a 'special interest'/'obsession', unrelated to obsessive compulsions, I believe.

Yes....a special interest. A hobby, or avocation. It doesn't constitute a form of OCD.

Though having OCD can be good, bad or both when it comes to such pursuits.

And if one is fortunate to make money doing what they love doing, it's still technically a job.

I was wrong about Toy Story 2 missing is "When she loved me" the best song from the album is grayed out however searching for the song it is playable on a few other albums including the Toy Story EP album.

Last edited:
Okay I have a new OCD I am suffering with. I have to Google "actors name" smoking too see if they smoke or not. BTW I hate smoking but I find this OCD to be as annoying as checking for full albums which I am no doing as much now.

Lately through my Apple Music subscription I have been searching for albums since watching Toy Story and checking the album. My obsession is too check if the album is complete no grayed out tracks. Since searching for soundtracks most are complete but some are missing songs most of the time available in other albums which makes me listen to those albums more obsessing with listening to even more music. Since worrying that "insert movie title here" is missing any songs I search the album to find if anything is missing.

I want to know is this an ASD trait or more OCD especially being addicted to music.

Spectrumnews.org reports up to 17% of people with ASD have OCD as a co-occurring disorder.

New Threads

Top Bottom