• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this a aspie thing or just me being me?

Dillon

I don’t know if any of you do this but for some reason I tend to think I have forgotten a certain action when I did it like 10 minutes ago. For example whenever I leave my house, I lock my door to either go to the store or wherever, I turn back like around when I’m a quarter mile away from my house to actually run back up to check and see I have locked my door and I look at the door knob for a minute to picture in my mind that ok I have locked it. Also when I’m doing homework for school, I know I already have done it but later on I go back thinking I haven’t done it but in fact I did. These are just a few examples of things like I know I have done something physically I need to do but my brain is telling me something else otherwise that I either didn’t do it or I had forgot to do it. Anyone else have other experiences and can this be aspie related?

I know what you are talking about
It only happens to me under specific conditions, poor diet,lack of sleep, stress that i am late already because it took me 45min to find my keys,wallet,whatever.
Also indicates a pattern of movement or action that is unsound in some way. Take 5 min to read anything aloud before you leave and it will stop

I know what you are talking about
It only happens to me under specific conditions, poor diet,lack of sleep, stress that i am late already because it took me 45min to find my keys,wallet,whatever.
Also indicates a pattern of movement or action that is unsound in some way. Take 5 min to read anything aloud before you leave and it will stop
It happens sometimes when I’m stressed or when I’m having a really good and fine day I still tend to do things like that. Also like yesterday I was trying to fond my cellphone which I had laid on my kitchen counter and a few minutes later I couldn’t find it took me 30 minutes freaking out about not finding it until I had realized it’s been right in front of me same place where I had put it.

I suppose it depends on the frequency, but these are all normal occurrences.

Adhd? I do it sometimes.
I actually don’t know about that since I have never been diagnosed with adhd. I do tend to get distracted say when someone is talking and I’m on my phone when at the same time I’m not meaning to or if I hear background noise Iam kind of distracted from what I had been originally doing even gets to where I totally forgot what section of whatever it was I had been doing.

You could check your testosterone too.

I actually don’t know about that since I have never been diagnosed with adhd. I do tend to get distracted say when someone is talking and I’m on my phone when at the same time I’m not meaning to or if I hear background noise Iam kind of distracted from what I had been originally doing even gets to where I totally forgot what section of whatever it was I had been doing.

I suppose it depends on the frequency, but these are all normal occurrences.
I notice I do it pretty frequently over the past few years and it’s either I actually have something else on my mind while I’m doing something else I need to do or I sit there doing nothing when I’m actually suppose to be doing something but that last part is typical with me anyway

Fear of forgetting to lock doors is one of my classic OCD traits. Where the OCD brain can detect an error even when there isn't one. Maddening.

Often leaving me with having checked no less than four times a night that the same stupid door is locked. Even when I can recollect that I previously locked it, where I am compelled to check once, twice...even multiple times just to make sure. :oops:

Yes, I do this. A lot! And its seems to be getting worse as I get older. Especially when stressed or distracted - or when lots of things are going on, I just miss things or simply don't process things and have gaps. I don't remember whether I did something or not, and I have to check. Or I have a false memory of it. I don't think that it's necessarily an autism thing, all people do this to some extent.

100% OCD. I would not say it's ASD. Evolutionary glitch. OCD would have been vastly important at one time in human development.

I have this happen to me, but I have OCD-related issues, so I don't know if this is autism in my case.

I have an okay memory and don't actually forget I did things. I just have the need to recheck as I doubt myself. I can clearly remember locking the front door or something, but my brain refuses to accept that I did it and makes me think about the worst case scenario if I didn't. I end up having to check things multiple times.

I also try to memorize what the lock looked like to remember if I locked it, plus I'll try to remember that I went through the physical movement of turning the lock/key, but my brain still doesn't accept that I actually did it. lol

I don’t know if any of you do this but for some reason I tend to think I have forgotten a certain action when I did it like 10 minutes ago. For example whenever I leave my house, I lock my door to either go to the store or wherever, I turn back like around when I’m a quarter mile away from my house to actually run back up to check and see I have locked my door and I look at the door knob for a minute to picture in my mind that ok I have locked it. Also when I’m doing homework for school, I know I already have done it but later on I go back thinking I haven’t done it but in fact I did. These are just a few examples of things like I know I have done something physically I need to do but my brain is telling me something else otherwise that I either didn’t do it or I had forgot to do it. Anyone else have other experiences and can this be aspie related?

I have the same issue. I chalk it up to about 75% executive dysfunction and 25% anxiety (though maybe it's more like 50/50).

If something unusual or noteworthy happened during the act of doing the thing, then I'll remember it. Or sometimes I'll reassure myself like "I was in the kitchen doing dishes and packing my lunch bag after I made tea this morning. If I'd left the stove on I would definitely have seen it then."

I rarely ever indulge the urge to go back and check on things because I really don't want to reinforce the anxiety.

Sometimes I worry that I forgot to turn something off or unplug it and it's a thing I haven't used in days. Then I feel really silly. "I didn't even use the stove today, of COURSE I didn't leave it on!"

Yes im the same. Short term memory issues my psychologist has said. Also the panic of having to go outside can overwhelm the senses. Causing overloads

New Threads

Top Bottom