• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is the way we learn and use language different from the rest of society?

Mia

V.I.P Member
Recall learning words as a child, and how I thought each word, the more complex it was, the more magical/special. Learning long words, more than shorter concise ones, caused me a world of pain from my peers and family. Yet I carried on, carting around my gigantic dictionary, as it was and still is an adventure to learn new words. I know many but don't use them out of fear I suppose, of being called smarty-pants and four eyes as I was called as a child, especially with the online climate as it is, where concise even abbreviated words are the norm.

Aspies and auties learn language differently than others. Hence the epithets. Yet recently, this explanation has unearthed some long held misunderstandings of smarty-pants and little professors:

Verbal Communication:

Unlike people with “classic” autism, people with Asperger syndrome typically do not appear to have any significant delays in the development of language. Some of us even speak early, but the quality of our speech is different. Language is used in a very atypical way.

Like our social skills, it’s learned by rote. The social quotient is lacking – we don’t fully understand (until taught), the social aspects of language.To us, it begins as a simple means of information exchange, not as a means of connecting with people (for example, the concept and execution of “small talk” can be difficult for someone with Asperger’s).

We may not master the art of using inflection to imbue language with meaning, and so develop a very monotonous or odd manner of speech. We also frequently miss the social cues that tell us what language to use when, and how often – so we may talk too much, too little, use overly formal, or informal language, or use inappropriate language for a specific situation (for example, swearing in front of a boss, or speaking overly familiarly to an authority figure).

Ironically, some children can appear very advanced, because we will pick up very sophisticated “adult” language – either from listening to adults, or from reading books. This can lead to further social ostracization from other kids, who’ll say “How come you talk like a grown up?”

On the other side, seemingly “simple” concepts as pronouns may throw a person with Asperger’s. A child learning to talk may refer to everyone using the same pronoun, or refer to themselves in third person. The concept that a single person can be referred to using several different pronouns, and those pronouns can be used for multiple people, can be a difficult one. In another example, as a child, a person I know observed his parents referring to each other using their first names, or endearments such as “honey” – and adopted the same manner of address. All attempts during his childhood to break him of the habit failed. He never used “mama” or “dada”, or later “mom” or “dad” to refer to his parents. Although he now understands how most people address to their parents, in his adulthood, he still refers to his parents by their first names. The habit is ingrained.

The rest of the article here: What Does It Mean To Have Asperger Syndrome?

Do you use or did you in the past use lots of big words, because you liked to? I've noticed many members on the site, have an extremely good grasp of language.

Wow I’m reading about something similar right now. What a coincidence! Lol. This might give you some insight, I don’t know.

D4124097-30B5-42D3-8043-74557560E6DA.jpeg

I keep coming back to a trait :

Taking things literally and how deep that runs and how well that is understood by us or them (vile generalisation, i know)

I was more lime picking up everything from reading books and much less from talking to people. So i started with the literal meaning of things.

Others were more the social meaning of things.
Things that were 'suggested' were often missed and evoked anger in the suggester... to my bewilderment.

Obviously we all pick up the idea that something strange is going on here...with everybody else.... and try furiously to fill in the gaps in this strange world we live in.

One with social meanings,clues,hurt feelings.. not our world of literal meanings...

Which also has its complexities and differences.

I think many have gone through that period of everything you say is misinterpreted..

Its not what you said...... it's what they think it meant.
Madness :)

I used to use overly formal language (the King's English) and big words as a kid. I think I actually spoke better then than I do now. Thing is, even though I thought I did, I didn't always use those big words correctly; it didn't matter if I did or not, other people didn't know what they meant either. It was more to dazzle adults with my big, shiny words.

When it stopped being cute and I started getting pushback is when I deliberately bastardized my speech in order to fit in, although society does have a point; as soon as your audience starts hearing words they don't understand, your message gets lost in the mix. So even though I don't speak as well nowadays, I'm a better communicator.

It sounded and felt good. (Language)

Not in a showy-off way, in a delighted, playful way.
Bouncy syllables, a rich, complex structure of sounds all rolled together to make a word (meaning) it had rhythm and was; in a sense, soothing and exciting at the same time.

In education, that had me sticking out even more than I already did. In an attempt at acceptance, I stopped enjoying and started to mimic my peers.

I think so. That we often find quality in the quantity of our speech.

Others? Not so much in this fast-paced society where so many want only the "short version". o_O

I think so. That we often find quality in the quantity of our speech.

Others? Not so much in this fast-paced society where so many want only the "short version". o_O

There was always a joy, in a way, of going round the houses to explain a point. Speech peregrinations perhaps.
Using nuance and some of the words I was learning from 19th century novels.

That was back then, now im mostly an idiot, a nincompoop, using persiflage and kumquats in a determined effort never to make a point.

There was always a joy, in a way, of going round the houses to explain a point. Speech peregrinations perhaps.
Using nuance and some of the words I was learning from 19th century novels.

That was back then, now im mostly an idiot, a nincompoop, using persiflage and kumquats in a determined effort never to make a point.

But how playful is that Mr Fridge? Lighthearted playfulness? Playing with language?

I love words. Me encantan las palabras. J’aime les mots. Amo le parole.

Last edited:
begins as a simple means of information exchange, not as a means of connecting with people
Oh. Oh...
I remember the exact context in which I learned most, if not all, of the "bigger words". I think I always saw language as, first and foremost, a means to exchange information indeed, and I'm only seeing now that exchanging information with people is not the same as connecting with people (note to self: communicating and connecting are close, but not the same). Because it has an informational function in my eyes, I always felt that language needed to be as specific and precise as could be. This obviously resulted in me being at complete odds with other children/teenagers, because I had a much wider palette of nuances in language than they did. I remember one of my English teachers in high school once refused to return an essay I'd written, and scored the maximum on; I wonder if that was so that he could keep it, because I've never heard of anyone else not getting their work back, at least not until college.

I think I actually spoke better then than I do now.
I second that, I feel mediocre compared to what I could do with words until I started distancing myself from them so that people would stop picking on me. Some words are more hazy now, and I'm pretty sure the number of words in my day-to-day usage is smaller than it was, say, 10 years ago.

It depends on the autistic person. Some are closer to the NLD presentation, and are very advanced with language, but struggle with nonverbal communication. Others may be partially or completely unable to use spoken language, and may communicate using sign language or other methods. And others are somewhere in between. But in general, yes, autistic people do have some differences in language use.

Like our social skills, it’s learned by rote. The social quotient is lacking – we don’t fully understand (until taught), the social aspects of language.To us, it begins as a simple means of information exchange, not as a means of connecting with people (for example, the concept and execution of “small talk” can be difficult for someone with Asperger’s.

For some reason the idea that language is about connection suddenly made a lot of sense when I read it just now, like a light bulb came on. You mean it's not just about information exchange?

Sometimes I have an excellent grasp on language, then my hand gets tired and I must put the dictionary back on the table. :eek:o_O:D:p:cool:;)

I was verbally precocious very early, reading more than I conversed, but talking a lot. Mostly reporting things I had learned through reading.

I love language. Words are just a delivery system for thought. But, having various and precise words to choose from can help you to manipulate ideas, to think and then convey the results of your runinations.

I still find a small thrill, a simple, surprising joy when I find and arrange a string of words that perfectly describes precisely what I am thinking.

Learned to speak at 10 months, learned to read at 3, became a writer and am considered a compelling, off-the-cuff, speaker.

So even for an NT, I have talents when it comes to verbal and written language. But yeah, got bullied for speaking well, but I did not care then and would not change.

You have thought that with the 28 letters of the alphabet (Spanish alphabet) we write all the books, all the stories, all the poems.

New Threads

Top Bottom