• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is schizoid personality just an outdated term for autism?

SchrodingersMeerkat

trash mammal
Back when Quizilla was a thing. Basically just a website where people could make their own personality quizes. There was one for what personality disorder you had. I would always get Schizoid. Quiz didn't have autism as an option. But then it's not a personality disorder. But then it wasn't a serious quiz. Probably made by some AP psychology high school student or phycology major freshman. So I looked up Schizoid and a lot of the traits sound some autistic traits. I've also heard Asperger's referred to as "childhood onset schizoid".

According to Wikipedia, one of the traits is "autistic thinking". Which according to it means:
"thinking not in accordance with consensus reality that emphasizes preoccupation with inner experience. See also § Dereistic thinking. More generally, it means thinking that is guided by internal wishes and desires regardless of external real-world factors.[8]:p."

• Prefer being alone and choose to do activities alone
  • Don't want or enjoy close relationships
  • Feel little if any desire for sexual relationships
  • Feel like you can't experience pleasure
  • Have difficulty expressing emotions and reacting appropriately to situations
  • May seem humorless, indifferent or emotionally cold to others
  • May appear to lack motivation and goals
  • Don't react to praise or critical remarks from others
Aside from the feeling of not being able to experience pleasure, I pretty much have had all of these since early childhood. My parents and teachers suspected I couldn't feel pleasure. Nah, I just couldn't feel it for the crap THEY wanted me to do and I was only motivated to do the things I wanted me to do.

ABA was really only for severely non verbal children who lived in more urban areas back then. I didn't have it. My mom tried some ABA techniques but gave up because she felt it was turning me into a trained seal who would only perform for a treat and teaching me to not be able to feel internal satisfaction. Uhh, I still don't for things OTHER PEOPLE want me to do.

But anyway, there's no way in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks that I would cooperate with some therapist. Heck, I even barricaded myself in my bedroom or the bathroom when the teacher from underprivileged preschool program came over to teach me basic academic stuff.

ABA would have mentally scared me...and possibly the therapist. My older brother's nickname for me was "Hellraiser" for a reason. But aside from the motivation and pleasure stuff I pretty much fit that description to a tee.

Yes, I am asexual. My first and last boyfriend and I mostly were platonic and it was online and through Skype. He broke up with me because I was asexual and clueless about how to talk about sexual stuff...and I found it inappropriate to talk about online.I'm not fully against a partner I'm just not obsessed with finding one right now. Maybe I will find one and maybe I don't. Doesn't bother me if I never do. There's more to life than romance.

My parents always talk about how I was always wanting to be alone as a kid. Well, except for my mom. I had SEVERE separation anxiety....probably because my biological mother didn't know how to raise a child and the do-gooders at social services insisted I go have forced visits with her and a social worker so no one could accuse them of taking a child from a disabled woman.

Somehow, it took them four years to be sure. But aside from my mom, I never had the desire to interact with other humans. My dogs, cat, horses, goat, pig, rabbits, guinea pig, mice, rats, ferret were better friends than the humans I knew. I also got to meet a rhinoceros face to face (the only thing I can compare the texture of their skin to is concrete) and if I had spent more time with her, we probably would have been besties. My bearded dragon was my best friend. Nothing could compare to her. People say I was able to bond with her so easily was because reptiles don't have the capability of having emotions. I think that's why I liked them, I related with being accused of having no emotions.

I don't have an answer for you, but this is an interesting question. I have heard similar before (that there is confusion/overlap/linkage between childhood onset schizophrenia and autism).

No it's just a label psychiatry gives to a mental illness when they are more than 1% sure otherwise it's syndrome

New Threads

Top Bottom