• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is My Shirt on Backwards?

Here is a quick questionnaire you can go through to determine if your shirt is on backward:

1.) How backward does your shirt feel?

A.) Not backward
B.) A little backward
C.) Fairly backward
D.) Extremely backward!

Answer Key:
A.) Your shirt is not backward.
B.) Your shirt is not backward.
C.) Your shirt is not backward, but consider getting a new shirt.
D.) Your shirt might be backward, better go check!

Phase 2
Supplemental

E.) Look in the mirror.
F.) Ask someone.
G.) Try again looking in the mirror while holding another mirror.
H.) What shirt?

Supplemental Answer Key:
E.) Get confused.
F.) They think it's funny and just mess with your mind and you still don't know.
G.) Didn't help. You're still confused and now thinking about infinite regression.
H.) Oops

I've actually had problems with this, so I'll answer this in a literal sense...

Does your shirt have a tag? If not, does it have a logo or something else to mark the back? Check to see if it's in the back and inside the shirt.

No tag? Check the seams on the shirt. Collar, waist area and arms. Do they look right? It shouldn't look like this.

Does your shirt have graphics or embroidery of some sort on one side? That usually goes in the front. Both sides? The tag needs to be in the back.

If all steps check out, congrats! Your shirt is being worn properly!

If I missed any steps here, forget it. It's a shirt, buy one that doesn't cause headaches. :)

Last edited:
Hmm. I have a bunch of plain tagless t-shirts I wear under other shirts (like button downs). There are no logos or manufacturing marks on them. So whenever I put them on I never know exactly which way to do it. There has been a few times, however, where I put it on, feels not quite right, switch it around, definitely doesn't feel right, & go back to the first way around. Has become a bit of a morning ritual.

I'm well known by my acquaintances for wearing a shirt backwards all day and not realizing until the end of the day, or having a shirt buttoned completely one off, or skipping a button. I have no idea until I go to take it off at the end of the day. Considering I remove the tags from all my shirts, and am always pulling it off my neck since it bothers me, regardless if it's on correctly or not. Some do have graphics but I forget what graphic goes on the front and what goes on the back.

Funny to think of how many garments may feel more comfortable inside-out given how prominent their seams can be. :eek:

Everything I wear has to feel a certain way and any minute difference will drive me crazy. So backwards would never work for me, but I am highly likely to not know something is inside out. I like feeling something against me - nightgown plus pj pants, t shirt plus open flannel shirt with sleeves rolled up, long pants all summer. And if something doesn't feel just right I'm tugging at it all day long and will probably never wear it again.

I rip out all tags, so I cannot tell, but what I do is look for the little icon. If there is not one, the front of shirts almost always are lower than the back .So I hold it up and see which side sloops down. Then I may mark it with a tiny fabric pen.

Everything I wear has to feel a certain way and any minute difference will drive me crazy. So backwards would never work for me, but I am highly likely to not know something is inside out. I like feeling something against me - nightgown plus pj pants, t shirt plus open flannel shirt with sleeves rolled up, long pants all summer. And if something doesn't feel just right I'm tugging at it all day long and will probably never wear it again.
I feel the same way. I need the collar to be the right shape and orientation, no label I can feel, nothing scratchy, no seams I notice, and most importantly it needs to be the right material. I wear almost exclusively cotton because nearly everything else feels like nails against a chalkboard.

If its collar is pressing against your throat, you're wearing it backwards. ;)
Not necessarily. I had some dress t-shirts that would choke me when I was wearing them properly. They of course choked me slightly more when worn backward.

Pull over shirts like Tees, I learned about the neckline being lower in front than the back too.
All tags come out first thing. Can't stand them. Also can't stand anything touching my throat/neck area.
Don't like collars and buttons. At least I can always find clothes for women that don't have collars.
The material has to be just right for me, too. Soft.
Even in bed, I can't sleep without a soft blanket, but, it takes a bit of time to get it just right so it isn't
touching my neck, yet covers my shoulders. Yikes.

Pull on clothes I've put on wrong side out at times and not realized it at first.
Under garments and socks, I've worn inside out all day and didn't realize it until I took them off at night.
Oh, well. That type of item I don't think anyone is going to notice anyway.:oops:

As a kid, I used to regularly put clothes on the wrong way or back to front or inside out, and my mum had to always check me before I left the house to go to school.

Pull over shirts like Tees, I learned about the neckline being lower in front than the back too.
All tags come out first thing. Can't stand them. Also can't stand anything touching my throat/neck area.
Don't like collars and buttons. At least I can always find clothes for women that don't have collars.
The material has to be just right for me, too. Soft.
Even in bed, I can't sleep without a soft blanket, but, it takes a bit of time to get it just right so it isn't
touching my neck, yet covers my shoulders. Yikes.

Pull on clothes I've put on wrong side out at times and not realized it at first.
Under garments and socks, I've worn inside out all day and didn't realize it until I took them off at night.
Oh, well. That type of item I don't think anyone is going to notice anyway.:oops:
I was surprised that T-shirts in the USA are not to a large extent just printed where the tag used to be.
It was a relief when T-shirt manufacturers in the UK started to print the washing instructions and size with fabric paint .

I think the question is not 'Is my shirt on backwards?' but 'Is my head on backwards?'.

New Threads

Top Bottom