• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is low motivation tied to autism?

Tempest

Hi thanks for reading my post.

I've just been told by my therapist that he has reasons to believe that I have autism and he's sending me for a diagnosis. I was diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child but maybe it was misdiagnosed. There seems to be a lot of parallels I can draw with my life and past and things on the autism spectrum.

Something I have found though is that most of the information out there seems to be aimed at children and finding resources for adults has proven to be a little bit more challenging, but the main thing I want to know more than anything else is: could autism be the reason why I find studying so difficult?

There are a few things I want to do in my life: Learn guitar, learn Linux, learn programming but I find just getting started on these tasks to be so difficult. Its not just a task like that, something like watching a movie or playing a video game that's new can be the same as well. I don't know what it is but I just don't have that initial drive to start these tasks. Often if I just force myself with all my will power I end up having to stop soon after. I have labeled this as a lack of motivation but I don't know if that's the correct term. I feel that I have at least the desire to learn these things I just struggle with getting started.

Sometimes I get this extreme desire to do one of these things and this burst of energy unlocks and I can spend a lot of time working on one of these things, the only trouble is this happens so rarely maybe once or twice a year and after a week, maybe 2 it goes away and I can't even get started on these projects even though I would love to more than anything.

I need to figure out why I'm like this and if it is because of autism I need to educate myself on how to overcome this because deep down I know I have the talent and creativity to do these things.

Are there any resources you could recommend to me as well? I know adding another book to the pile that I want to study feels incredibly counter intuitive at this point but if I could just find a way through this I really think I could do great things. If I can't fix this then...well it would be very disappointing but at least I could rule out autism as the reason behind this. I really want my life to begin as I feel I haven't really accomplished anything yet and I feel I'm kinda getting long in the tooth now.

Thanks once again

Tempest

I don't think low motivation is restricted to ASD. Many, many NTs are the same way and struggle to make progress. The reasons are probably multi-faceted, complex, and unique to each person.

Would it help if you made a list of tasks you need to do, with dates and start times, and then you follow that schedule?

I was never good at studying or motivating myself to do something i didnt like. Thus far i have not overcome it. Though it has become a little easier to do something else. And yes that intensely studying everything about one thing did happen in my past. It has not happened for awhile now. So im not sure if im past it.
Oh. And im official diagnosed with aspergers or high functing autism as its called now.

I have this too. It's a problem with one of the Executive Functions...Inititation.
I'm just learning about it. Just knowing that it isnt my fault, that I'm not lazy has helped. For decades I was stuck in a vicious cycle of failing to start a project, feeling guilty which makes me feel more tired/depressed, more trouble starting even small tasks....
What I am doing now, with a medium amount of success is I break down tasks into tiny steps. This eliminates that feeling of the task being overwhelming.
And I don't blame myself if I can't do something right away, or even all day. More things are getting done and I don't feel like a lazy loser anymore.

I believe dopamine dysregulation is associated with autism and low dopamine is associated with low motivation. I had this problem and it was fixed instantly and entirely by Wellbutrin and Adderall.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

I personally wouldn't say so, no. Though, then again, most on the Spectrum do suffer from Executive Dysfunction.

Hi thanks for reading my post.

I've just been told by my therapist that he has reasons to believe that I have autism and he's sending me for a diagnosis. I was diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child but maybe it was misdiagnosed. There seems to be a lot of parallels I can draw with my life and past and things on the autism spectrum.

Something I have found though is that most of the information out there seems to be aimed at children and finding resources for adults has proven to be a little bit more challenging, but the main thing I want to know more than anything else is: could autism be the reason why I find studying so difficult?

There are a few things I want to do in my life: Learn guitar, learn Linux, learn programming but I find just getting started on these tasks to be so difficult. Its not just a task like that, something like watching a movie or playing a video game that's new can be the same as well. I don't know what it is but I just don't have that initial drive to start these tasks. Often if I just force myself with all my will power I end up having to stop soon after. I have labeled this as a lack of motivation but I don't know if that's the correct term. I feel that I have at least the desire to learn these things I just struggle with getting started.

Sometimes I get this extreme desire to do one of these things and this burst of energy unlocks and I can spend a lot of time working on one of these things, the only trouble is this happens so rarely maybe once or twice a year and after a week, maybe 2 it goes away and I can't even get started on these projects even though I would love to more than anything.

I need to figure out why I'm like this and if it is because of autism I need to educate myself on how to overcome this because deep down I know I have the talent and creativity to do these things.

Are there any resources you could recommend to me as well? I know adding another book to the pile that I want to study feels incredibly counter intuitive at this point but if I could just find a way through this I really think I could do great things. If I can't fix this then...well it would be very disappointing but at least I could rule out autism as the reason behind this. I really want my life to begin as I feel I haven't really accomplished anything yet and I feel I'm kinda getting long in the tooth now.

Thanks once again

Tempest

I get like this too, but I get that energy a but more frequently than you do.

What helps me is having someone that supports what you are doing and being able to show that person your progress every now and then. Being able to think “I can get this done by this date and see what (person who supports you) thinks of it” or if you are trying to play a video game then think “I can’t wait to tell (person who supports you) about what I’m about to play and my opinion on it”

It can be exciting to share what you’ve been doing/working on and that can get you another burst of motivation to continue for a bit

It is hard to start self-directed projects - exploring this from a different angle - is it easy to start externally-directed projects? Like if you for school or work or volunteering or (insert external source of project) had to complete this project, that you personally were also interested in in the first place - but this external source outlined very clear instructions regarding the scope of the tasks and what the concrete, final deliverable or outcome would be.... is that easier?

Asking because this is my experience. A project like "learn guitar" is so horribly undefined that I would sit there for an indefinite amount of time being confused. But if I took a class that broke it down into "levels" and specific tasks or tests that I would have to master to pass each level (aka. a clear definition of what each level means) then, I would really be in my element.

I have similar issues, but I've never really thought of it as low motivation. I have the desire to do it, but oftentimes, I just don't know how to begin. But then on occasion, I have those bursts of energy where I can just sit and do something for hours, like play the guitar until my fingertips go numb. Then other times I just sit and stare at the guitar without any idea of where to begin.

Thanks for the replies it’s comforting to know that I’m not the only one who feels this way. I think you are right that my goals are too undefined but defining them is difficult.

It’s difficult because I don’t really know how far I can take these things. A lot of the Linux stuff is requiring me to read books in order to read later books and I’m still not really sure what my ultimate goals are with my network I guess I’m just hoping that the more I learn application will eventually emerge.

Playing guitar is a difficult one too. I’ve been using a program called rocksmith to teach me but I’ve ended up feeling very frustrated with it. I find the lessons it provides very hard and I’ve noticed that any less than a 100% mark makes me feel like a failure and I can’t stop that. Another huge failing of mine is I’m incredibly self critical and cruel to myself. Always have been. Is that also common with autism and something we are able to treat and overcome?

Well going forward I’ll try to set smaller goals. I’ll try looking at the first book on my pile as being a goal a page rather than one goal as a whole. That might be a bit extreme but it may help.

Thanks for labelling this behaviour for me as well hopefully it will make my next therapy session go better because I don’t think communicating it as motivation has been getting my point across very well :(

Have a great week! X

New Threads

Top Bottom