• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Jediism a real religion?...

AGXStarseed

I was reading through Rich's discussion about putting himself down as a Jedi on the Census where it would ask "what religion are you?"

Initially, I remembered seeing a post from 2001 about people across the UK putting themselves down as Jedi. According to what's written on Wikipedia, it's not just the UK either; Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Croatia, Turkey and many other places also have individuals who refer to their religious belief as "Jedi" or "Jedi Knight".
Here's the Jedi Religion Census for 2001 when it started for England and Wales.

cUYATOH.png

Since looking into it a bit more, I've actually found that being a Jedi (or 'Jediism') is actually a religion. It even has two websites:
The Church of Jediism: Home | The Church of Jediism
The Temple of the Jedi Order: Home

There's more information about it at these links:
Wikipedia: Jediism - Wikipedia
ThoughtCo.: What You Should Know About the Jedi Religion
Dailypost: Jediism religion goes from Anglesey beginnings to HALF A MILLION followers

Furthermore, here's some videos on the subject.

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Nope.

However, on Census forms, when they ask about my Religion I almost always put "Jedi", meh, I'm an atheist anyway, not Religious even though I was Christened in a Church.

It's all relative to one's beliefs.

Imagine it's 2 A.D., and two Roman Centurions are processing Judeans to be taxed.

Muttus: "You think any of these guys are Christians?"
Jeffus: "Gods, No. Besides, there's no such thing. We nailed that guy Jesus and that's that."
Muttus:"Let's ask that old Jew over there. See what he thinks."
Old Jew: "Christians? God no, no such thing. The Messiah has yet to arrive."
Muttus:"Hmmm. Guess you're right, Jeffus."
Jeffus: "Hell yes, I'm right!"
Muttus: "There's a hell?"
Jeffus: "Never mind."

Last edited:
Since it originated from a fictional series, I do not recognize it as an actual religion, and I view people who do recognize it as so and those who also practice it as over-invested fanboys and fangirls who have taken role-playing a bit too far. So, no, it is NOT a real religion, and I would die of laughter when I see a headline saying that some nation (probably somewhere in Europe, TBH) has actually officially recognized it as a religion. I only like looking at posts on social media by people who claim to be Jedis for the meme, TBH. "Jediism" isn't something I'd hear about and actually take seriously. Sounds lame, TBH.

For example, I like AR-15s, but I just don't say, "I worship in the church of Eugene Stoner." That would make people look at me weird and like I was an insane gun nut. And there is a HUGE difference between being recognized as a gun nut and being recognized as one who is mentally deranged.

Personally, I don't think any religion is real. Except maybe Felinism, where we worship the superior gods and goddesses more commonly known as cats.:smilecat:

Nope.

However, on Census forms, when they ask about my Religion I almost always put "Jedi", meh, I'm an atheist anyway, not Religious even though I was Christened in a Church.
Just a quick correction here, but I believe you meant "baptized." Christened is a completely different thing. Either that, or your parents did a baby dedication for you.

Also, baby baptisms aren't actually real baptisms, anyways, so if your parents did that, then you weren't really "christened." Baptism is only real if it is a full-submersion baptism, and the person being baptized fully understands what it means to be Christian and has a personal relationship with Jesus.

Or, in shorter terms, consent, understanding, and a lot of water are important for baptism.

Christening and Baptism do differ.
And in some churches "baby dedication" is a term used and in some it isn't.

Baptism vs Christening - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

The form of baptism (sprinkle or immersion) differs, as
well as the age typically done. Not all congregations are in
favor of infant baptism as they believe the participants should
be capable of making the choice.

Just a quick correction here, but I believe you meant "baptized." Christened is a completely different thing. Either that, or your parents did a baby dedication for you.

Also, baby baptisms aren't actually real baptisms, anyways, so if your parents did that, then you weren't really "christened." Baptism is only real if it is a full-submersion baptism, and the person being baptized fully understands what it means to be Christian and has a personal relationship with Jesus.

Or, in shorter terms, consent, understanding, and a lot of water are important for baptism.

Ahem... "correction" :rolleyes:, there are other forms of Christianity which happen to be extremely old and have a different concept of baptism. You may disagree but it's a little silly using imperious, preachy language about it without interesting historical arguments to go along with your concept of baptism.

What may be of some interest in this thread is an argument in favor of Jediism being a religion, not a meme. Apparently, according to their own wiki page, people who believe in Jediism are not saying they believe in fictional elements of the Star Wars universe, rather that they believe it's worth their time to organize a movement oriented around the ethical teachings of the Jedi. They cite "16 teachings" and "21 maxims". While to be sure there are people who are stating on census forms that they follow the religion in order to express a meme, on the other hand there do appear to be people who genuinely value the idea beyond those terms. So far as I can tell it might be considered something of a "Buddhism lite" if you look at the influences behind George Lucas' concept, and the ideas outlined by the Jedi.

Which brings us to a further question: What is religion?

New Threads

Top Bottom