1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it weird to have both left and right-leaning beliefs?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by SunnyDay16, Aug 10, 2018.

1. SunnyDay16

SunnyDay16 Well-Known Member

I'm right-leaning in the sense that I believe in capitalism, as long as it's regulated to some degree. I believe people should be allowed to have guns as long as they are legally owned and only have them for self-defense purposes. I believe people should have the right to practice their religions in their own private businesses and homes.

At the same time, I have some left-leaning views too. I believe fully in LGBTQ rights and gay marriage. I believe church and state should be kept seperate from each other; religion shouldn't mix with government. I'm not entirely against abortion for certain situations.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. DCA

DCA Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

No, it is not weird.

Trying to pigeon hole people into either the left or the right is a mistake IMHO. FREX, I usually describe myself as an unapologetic leftie, but still believe in a strong defense & military & think gun ownership is fine, up to & including machine guns if you so desire -- but you better have a spotless criminal record & get a strictly controlled license for something like that!

Really though, all of the political beliefs you described would probably make you a moderate -- either slightly left-of-center or slightly right-of-center. Nothing really unusual about that.

The idea of a left & right wing politics is an artificial construct designed to create an identity & reinforce the tribalism of politics. I see it all the time where someone describes themselves as a rightie & takes ALL of the right wing political positions, whether they make sense or not. Talking about politics in the US is really a discussion about tribalism than anything else -- Republican or Democrat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Good for you.

It just means you are a rational thinker, not impressed by opposing ideologies. After all, one doesn't have to think inside the box when it doesn't suit them.

One can support the causes you approve of without having to package them with a series of other beliefs you don't necessarily approve of.

As for capitalism, personally I don't view it as any type of ideology. I just see it as a mathematical relationship of supply, demand and earnings that ebbs and flows due to a variety of conditions and circumstances. However like any other economic system or philosophy, it is inherently vulnerable to human avarice.

In my state (Nevada) I am a registered non-partisan voter. Works for me. ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DCA

DCA Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I agree with much that you say here, but I would also add that while capitalism isn't an ideology per se, I think there are a lot of people that do turn it into an ideology, a cure for all that ails society.

5. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Indeed. There are those who deliberately advocate capitalism as if it were an ideology.

To either glorify it or vilify it. Take your pick. Propaganda is a tool utilized all across the political spectrum. Not confined to any one school of thought.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. MrSpock

MrSpock Live long and prosper

I think that if raised outside our political systems it might seem weird to have a left and right at all, or to even have political parties. People elected to the government of Canada's Northwest Territories have no party affiliation and it seems to work well.

I imagine a system where we don't even vote for individuals, rather when election time comes around perhaps twenty issues are up for decision, and we're each permitted to vote on ten of them. That way we're voting on things that concern us and there is more incentive to become informed on the issues at hand, and we're not going to vote on things that don't concern us for the sake of controlling others. We don't have to worry that our votes might go toward some entity that will not be truly representative of us.

Of course this may cause other problems, who decides what issues will be voted on? Hard to tell what would happen exactly without experiment, any system will have it's flaws I expect. But food for thought, and I hope it reassures that you're not at all weird to have views from 'both sides'. It is the fact that such lines are drawn in the first place that is the true weirdness.

7. Bolletje

Bolletje Potato chip wizard

It’s not weird. I always have trouble deciding which party I vote for, come election time, because my beliefs don’t really fit into one narrow view. Of course, it also doesn’t help that my country has up to 30 political parties to vote for during elections.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. pamelaperejil

pamelaperejil Non-player character

No, it just means you can think for yourself.

9. Shiznown

Shiznown Well-Known Member

You're a Libertarian, or a "Classical Liberal". I suggest registering as a Republican and not an Independent. If you register as a third party voter, you cannot vote in either of the major primaries. That's how it is in most states anyway. There are far, far, far, far more Libertarian/Constitutional Conservatives/Classical Liberals in the Republican party. In the Democratic Party they are almost non-existent. Voting in the primaries is just as important as voting in the general election.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  10. Joshua Aaron

Joshua Aaron Professional Weirdo

Nope. It just means that you're quite rational and unbiased when it comes to politics, which seems to be getting more and more rare. Also, you just summed up all of my views, too.

11. Propianotuner

Propianotuner Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

... It'd be weird if beliefs were the kind of thing that had to have a cardinal direction.

These are all separate albeit potentially related things to ask one's self about. That they should be lumped together in groups is for the most part arbitrary, it is a collection of historical accidents driven by cultural and political developments.

If you assess every issue you've brought up in this OP on an individual basis, I don't think it's all that presumptuous to assume it should be abundantly clear how the "right wing" views you listed aren't necessarily related and neither are the "left wing" views you listed.

It can be a helpful thought exercise to put yourself on a scale with an X and Y axis, with the left indicating the imposition of less social restrictions, the right indicating more such restrictions, the bottom indicating less centralization and authority and the top indicating more. While placing yourself on that kind of X and Y grid is more useful as a general indication of where your tendencies lie, it still remains true that you are well within rational bounds contradicting your tendencies on each axis while assessing individual issues.

Let me visit the different topics you've brought up, in my next post, in order to illustrate these points.

12. Propianotuner

Propianotuner Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

In stark contrast to the popular rhetoric bandied about here in the states, capitalism doesn't have near as much to do with concepts "free market", "unchecked industry", etc., however well we've been to think along such lines.

As defined in Adam Smith and David Hume's literature on the subject (the two deemed primarily responsible for coining most of the relevant terms and popularizing the philosophy behind the Western world shifting from mercantilism to capitalism), capitalism defines a society in which private parties own the means of production, not the government. In fact Smith advocated many stances in the Wealth of Nations, a book widely thought of along the lines of an original capitalist manifesto, stances which stand in contradiction to the idea of a free market.

So, long story short, many different economic ideas which we classify today as "left" or "right" have next to nothing to do with whether one is in support of capitalism.

The same holds true for 'Classical Liberalism' as it is understood in political philosophy, and let's be real here folks most any Western country that's not the US...; Liberalism and conservatism aren't on opposite ends of a scale at all, because they aren't any more related than voluntarism and conservatism.

Just a side note here, but it's debatable whether the Second Amendment was actually concerned with the right of an individual to own guns. In fact it's generally been understood by a great deal of people who write political philosophy and history that the Anti-Federalist Papers, perhaps the primary source for understanding the debate at that time over subjects such as ratifying the constitution and drafting the Bill of Rights, argues for the Second Amendment with local and state militias in mind. They understood it as a hedge, designed for the states, against federal usurpation.

The further we go down this rabbit hole the more clear it becomes that political rhetoric is a broken, confusing, and perhaps willfully misleading source of information about political philosophy and the real nature of whichever government we live under. What is convenient to say in order to get elected often has little to do with what is in line with the people who happen to write about such subjects for a living, instead.